1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, not really, not yet at least. :evil :evil :evil

Rossi ready to consider Ducati move

By Michele Lostia and Pablo Elizalde Friday, November 9th 2007, 11:20 GMT

Seven-time champion Valentino Rossi is ready to consider a future outside Yamaha if next year's bike doesn't prove competitive enough.

The Italian rider struggled to match Ducati rival Casey Stoner's form this year, with the Australian going on to take 10 victories on his way to the title.

Rossi won just four races and finished in third place in the standings after retiring from the last race, where he needed just one point to secure the runner-up spot, with mechanical problems.

The Yamaha rider has a contract with his team until the end of next season, but Rossi admits he will consider his options if the new bike fails to impress him.

"Let's see how this devilish engine improves. If it improves then we can wait one more year," the Italian told Gazzetta dello Sport. "If there's nothing to do, amen. I have a good relationship with both, but I'd certainly like Ducati because they're Italian."

Rossi believes Stoner would have no problems partnering him at Ducati.

"I don't think he'd say no," Rossi said. "Maybe he'd like to fight with the same bike. OK, that's a big one..."

He added: "Stoner is not an overnight sensation, but to be the new Valentino he needs to win more, by fighting hard against Valentino and against Pedrosa too. In any case he won't be the new Valentino, he will be Stoner."

Rossi also reckons both Honda and Yamaha underestimated Ducati this year, with the Italian bike's engine showing it was a step ahead of its rivals.

"All the Japanese manufacturers have," he said. "Ducati have been intelligent and aggressive and they have worked better. We were competitive against Honda, but they have the money and the people to recover in a short time, something which Yamaha have lacked."

Rossi won the titles with Yamaha in 2004 and 2005, but has been beaten in the past two seasons. The Italian reckons Yamaha now need more resources in order to fight on top.

"Yamaha has never been the quickest bike but this year we were even 15-20 km/h slower," he said. "We have suffered from the reduction of fuel capacity: each time we tried to do something we broke down.

"If I want to win they must make some important changes. We need more capable people and more money."

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Of corse he wants to go to ducati..... Ducs rule!

·
Raging lunar zoomonkey
2,221 Posts
I'd like to see that move. I know the yama has been lacking but I wonder if he has been slipping a little too.

·
Grid Marshall. ,
29,341 Posts
Do you think the I-talians would be happy to have Vale on a Duc or what??? :laughing

·
Registered
11,444 Posts
so he thinks Stoner won't mind? i don't know much but i know that if i was stoner i wouldn't want rossi to rain on my parade. :2cents:

·
Jason Temme
529 Posts
Rossi is a slut.
+1 He is ready to jump ship way to often, instead of sticking it out and believing in the companies and people who have been loyal to him (not to mention the hard work and dedication of these people).

I can understand wanting to have the best equipment and wanting to be on top but at what expense? The expense of your honor, loyalty and word?

That to me is no champion.

·
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D
11,172 Posts
hard to say, if corporate keeps saying, "we dont need to spend more money, things are fine the way they are"

it takes a RIDER to decide that things should change. not some fat guys in suits who have never ridden.

I dont know of PREvious politics so i could be wrong.

but to me, it would be a way of sticking it to the corporate world.

·
CLSB's Florida Chapter.,
22,652 Posts
damn.. even Rossi understands the mystique of the Ducati :1pimp

·
Ciao Marco
3,803 Posts
+1 He is ready to jump ship way to often, instead of sticking it out and believing in the companies and people who have been loyal to him (not to mention the hard work and dedication of these people).

I can understand wanting to have the best equipment and wanting to be on top but at what expense? The expense of your honor, loyalty and word?

That to me is no champion.

EXACTLY. What would Rossi do if Ducati + Bridgestone were no longer dominant? Thats what I DO like about Nicky.

·
PPF Installer
1,286 Posts
But Ducati wasn't competative until this year with the 800s and well Rossi is just a whinny little brat that wants it his way and he can't stand watching someone else win so if Ducati has the better 800cc bike then that is where he wants to go.

·
Ridiculously Good Looking
32,753 Posts
The Boot would go CRAZY if he went to Duc - I would LOVE to see it

·
Ciao Marco
3,803 Posts
But Ducati wasn't competative until this year with the 800s .

WAT??? Did you follow gp in 06'? Capirossi finished 3rd for the season behind Rossi. If Capirossi would'nt have had that Catalunya incident he might have finished in front of Rossi in the points.

·
32,753 Posts
But Ducati wasn't competative until this year with the 800s and well Rossi is just a whinny little brat that wants it his way and he can't stand watching someone else win so if Ducati has the better 800cc bike then that is where he wants to go.
How long have you been following GP amigo? - Rossi is anything but whinny - His contract is up and he is stating what NEEDS to be done in order to keep a 7 time world champ on a Yami - Any Champ would do the same in order to better himself for a chance to regain the crown

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I see both sides of this one.
It is unprofessional for Rossi to talk shit about Yamaha while still under contract.
It is also bullshit that such a talented rider is being held back by his machine.
Stoner is super talented but I am still sure Rossi could take him if they were given the same bikes.
I think that it is really embarrassing for Yamaha and the rest of the big three to be out done by Ducati if it is really the machine that is the problem. Not that I do not like Ducati...I love them. But Yamaha along with the rest of the big 3 have unlimited $$$$ resources compared to Ducati. Perhaps the engineering department at Ducati has gotten a shot of new blood and is doing more with less $$, this is always possible.
Hope Rossi kicks ass and takes names next year when I see him at Indy!

Under200

·
32,753 Posts
I see both sides of this one.
It is unprofessional for Rossi to talk shit about Yamaha while still under contract.
It is also bullshit that such a talented rider is being held back by his machine.
Stoner is super talented but I am still sure Rossi could take him if they were given the same bikes.
I think that it is really embarrassing for Yamaha and the rest of the big three to be out done by Ducati if it is really the machine that is the problem. Not that I do not like Ducati...I love them. But Yamaha along with the rest of the big 3 have unlimited $$$$ resources compared to Ducati. Perhaps the engineering department at Ducati has gotten a shot of new blood and is doing more with less $$, this is always possible.
Hope Rossi kicks ass and takes names next year when I see him at Indy!

Under200
Well Put - Rep

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ducati boss cautious on Rossi future talk

By Michele Lostia and Pablo Elizalde Monday, November 12th 2007, 12:06 GMT

Ducati team boss Livio Suppo was cautious when responding to Valentino Rossi's comments, in which the Italian rider hinted at a future with the team.

Rossi suggested he is ready to leave Yamaha at the end of 2008 if his bike doesn't prove competitive next season.

"If it gets better I can wait another year. If not there is nothing left to do," Rossi told Gazzetta dello Sport. "I have a good relationship with both (Ducati and Honda), but definitely I would prefer Ducati because they are Italian."

Suppo knows Italian fans would welcome the move, but the Ducati boss is cautious about the prospect of the seven-time champion riding for them.

"It's definitely too early to talk about 2009," Suppo told Gazzetta dello Sport. "And then I must be careful: whether I say a yes or a no, it will be interpreted in any case in a misleading way.

"I can certainly say that, from some fringes of our fans, we get the request, or rather the desire, to see Rossi on our bike, in order to come up with a fight with Stoner on truly equal footing.

"We've never talked about it explicitly, but like every racing rider, Stoner has always made it clear that as far as he's concerned he can be teamed up with anyone. In my opinion he is in such a state of grace that he wouldn't be afraid to be challenged.

"We have a deal for the next two years with Marco Melandri, we count a lot on him, and a three-year deal with Stoner. We'd like to extend it with Casey (Stoner), and maybe he'd like that too, as one of his idols is **** Doohan, who was always with Honda.

"Anything can change, but Casey seems willing to go his way with us."

Suppo also denied rumours that Ducati are preparing a third bike for Rossi for 2008.

"I've heard this rumour too and I really can't figure out where it originated from," he added. "I don't think something like this could be done without me knowing about it. So I say that it's absolutely impossible, for the simple reason that the bike doesn't exist.

"The parts to build it have simply not been ordered. At the moment the mechanics are building the bikes, but they are Casey's and Marco's which will have their debut at the end of the month in Jerez."

He added: "That was an operation meant to be done with Loris (Capirossi), who had been with us for five years, from our debut to now. Frankly thinking of something like that seems hasty to me. At least at the moment: Valentino himself says that it's absurd. Season apart, let's call it a mid-summer dream.

"I'm happy about the 9 (marks out of 10) Rossi gave us: it shows the appreciation for the work done this year. Besides, it's true that that admiration goes two-ways.

"However, if he marked his season with an 8, he should have given Casey a 10 since he has made no mistakes."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts