Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a couple years ago, 3 to be exact, I made a dvd portfolio for an art class. Made it on a Mac, don't remember the program. It was basically a couple slideshows with some music I made in Guitar something or other. My question is, is there a way to extract just the jpegs from the dvd. I can't find the data disc I made and I hope it's easier than trying to rescan everything. As far as I know there's not extra security on it like a movie dvd.

So:

-is it possible?
-if so, how do you do it?

thanks

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
Short Answer: Yes.

Unfortunate part: It will not be original resolution, it will be whatever resolution your finished DVD was, (720x480 most likely but we can upconvert that if we want).

What you need (Generally speaking, if your movie program can not read .VOB files directly and your DVD player software can not save still frames and you do not have a screen-shot grabber capability).

Something like: http://homepage.mac.com/major4/download.html

it will take your .VOB file from your VIDEO_TS directory on the DVD (DVD file that has your audio/video in it) and convert it into a movie stream of your choosing (avi, mov, mpg, etc). Then, take that resulting file and throw it into a video editor. Now, just walk through the presentation and save still frames of the screenshot you want.

ffmpegx can even extract just the audio track too and save it to a mp3 or whatever other format (For destination format, just choose: 'movie audio to mp3' )

Now, one nice thing about iMovie is that you can skip this entire step of conversion and just load the .VOB file directly into imovie and do the cherry picking of still frames and audio capturing sooner without the conversion step.

·
CRF50 Squid
9,583 Posts
Easy. Play the DVD on your TV, snap a picture, preferably with a film camera, develop the film, then scan it into your PC. :laughing

PowerDVD does screen captures.

·
Facilitator
391 Posts
here's what I do:

download VLC media player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

open whatever video file you have with VLC, use the snapshot feature to take pictures of whatever you want....granted the resolution will only be what you originally made it for the video.

hope that helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts