Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
I am the Stig.
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Toyobaru BRZ/GT-86 isn't really comparable to a FWD Fiat 500 Abarth...

But I want a small fun car that is enjoyable for longer driving times but still decent on gas mileage. I've got a 46 mile commute everyday and w/o driving these cars its pretty tough to determine which to buy. Next week I'll be driving the BRZ, but I haven't really been able to locate an Abarth close enough to try.

So what do you guys think? I know I'm not much for FWD cars, I personally prefer RWD... but from everything I've seen - the Fiat would be a very fun car that I could easily park in the City (where I live).

Which would you choose? Resale value on both should be pretty good too...

·
yo quiero su taco
12,463 Posts
First model year for the Toyo, I'd pass on it.

·
Wisconsin FIB
2,232 Posts
Just so you know, the Toyota and Subaru suspensions are set up differently. One likes to be tail happy, the other (I think Subaru) likes to push.

The Fiat is a nice car, proven in Europe. It should be cheaper for basic maintenance (tires, oil change, etc) and cheaper on insurance.

I like Mini's, but by the time you get to a decent package, it will be over $30K.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
subaru.

I like the styling of the 500, but i can't get past an Italian designed car built in Mexico with a UAW built engine. It just screams Fix it again Tony

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Abarth Abarth Abarth!!

The one I ordered is for sale at the dealership up here. Buy it!!

(Long story as to why I didn't, and bought a non-Abarth Sport 500 instead. Even without the extra 60hp and turbo the car is a friggin' HOOT!!)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I haven't really been able to locate an Abarth close enough to try.
I heard that the Fiat must be serviced at a Fiat dealership or you void the warranty, if you can't find one close because you arent close to a dealer, it might be a consideration.

I have a 25 mpg WRX and love it, so I vote for the BRZ. I saw one in person (but havent driven one), I really like the styling.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Year round use? Can see these not liking wet and snow. Both get good reviews but have read that the powerband on the brz like to be wound up. +1 on the mini being north of 30K for a Works version. Do really dig the way the FR-S and BRZ look and they are good on gas too. Ever consider the new MX-5? They have grown since years ago and are a true small rwd sports car. Really nice little toy.

·
Clever Girl
10,122 Posts
P&L Motorsports in Franklin Park has built a turbo kit that gets the BRZ over 400 hp already.

That would be one fun car, but doubt I'd be willing to give up my warranty so easily, especially on a new model car like that.

·
yo quiero su taco
12,463 Posts
P&L Motorsports in Franklin Park has built a turbo kit that gets the BRZ over 400 hp already.

That would be one fun car, but doubt I'd be willing to give up my warranty so easily, especially on a new model car like that.

If TRD comes out with a turbo, it wont void the warranty. May not get you up to 400, but maybe 300. They did that with the TCs, TRD made a turbo that did not void the warranty. Unfortunately the turbo was a piece of crap and was notorious for breaking. But still nice feature. Roush does the same for Mustang's, but I think it is a supercharger.

·
Clever Girl
10,122 Posts
If TRD comes out with a turbo, it wont void the warranty. May not get you up to 400, but maybe 300. They did that with the TCs, TRD made a turbo that did not void the warranty. Unfortunately the turbo was a piece of crap and was notorious for breaking. But still nice feature. Roush does the same for Mustang's, but I think it is a supercharger.
TRD made a supercharger for the tC (use to own a tC). You are right though, the thing would break all the time and was a rip off. I think it only added around 60 hp and cost $3-4 grand. Huge advantage is that you kept your warranty though.

·
Registered
345 Posts
For year round neither are a good idea. The Abarth and BRZ are over priced for what you are getting. They are both small and have no cargo area. You cannot fit 4 adults in either car especially the BRZ. That is a two seater only, call me a lier... I challenge you to be able to drive that car with 4 adults. There is no way no how it's going to happen unless your a legal dwarf midget. Out of the two I'd lean towards the Abarth.

For all year long the WRX makes a much more practical car and offers a lot more utility. For that price point. I think a standard Impreza is the best choice with the winter package. Despite how this may sound a new V6 mustang gets really good MPG is only 1 hp less than the original Shelby Cobra which people drool over. The car is easily the fastest and not having to change gears ever 10 mph is really nice.

AWD for chicago or a nice heavy FWD would be real suggestions. The Mustang is going to be dog shit in the snow.

I don't know how your income status is but I'd be thinking something that gets good gas milage and preferably 87 octane. 50 miles a day is going to put a toll on your wallet. I truly never understand why people want to drive performance cars all year long. It boggles my mind. I've driven performance cars in the winter and it'll be the last thing I do again. They were not my cars.

·
Premium Member
6,206 Posts
You have a 46 mile commute out of the city?

Get something comfortable. Unless you're working 3rd shift you're not going anywhere fast, and even the side roads will tear up anything close to "sport". Get something quiet with as many creature comforts as you can afford. I'd get a GTI with a nice stereo and some paddle shifters.

·
yo quiero su taco
12,463 Posts
Oh yeah it was a sc not a turbo. my bad.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.