Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Man with Big Hose
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Buttons on swingarms?

anyone add buttons to their swing arms that don't have the pre-threaded holes already? I seen in the LP catalog they sell sets for open ended swingarms like the YzF(hey that's me). How do these work? Do i have to weld something to the singarm?

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
the only way I have seen them mounted is to weld a tapped receiver to the underside of the swingarm.

·
Man with Big Hose
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i got the type that just slide under the swingarm and after 2 near fall offs....i decided to look into the buttons to see if that's doable.

·
Registered Abuser
1,601 Posts
I plan on doing this to my SuperChicken over the winter. Probably towards spring when I tear it apart for spring cleaning. I was going to either find a trashed suzuki arm and cut the do-dads off, or just have someone make me the thingies that the buttons thread into. I have a welding shop that did my swingarm brace, and they f-in rock.
Don't be shy, just have a good welder do the work.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
v2neal said:
I plan on doing this to my SuperChicken over the winter. Probably towards spring when I tear it apart for spring cleaning. I was going to either find a trashed suzuki arm and cut the do-dads off, or just have someone make me the thingies that the buttons thread into. I have a welding shop that did my swingarm brace, and they f-in rock.
Don't be shy, just have a good welder do the work.
Its nothing more than some round Alum stock drilled and tapped for the size bolt used by the bobbin. On my 9R its a M12. But if your gonna weld it on you'll be stripping the anodizing off the swingarm in that section, so you might think about polishing it up too while your at it.

·
Registered Abuser
1,601 Posts
Actually I'm going to see how my new forks are coated, and maybe have the swing arm powder coated black. I have already stripped it when I had the brace welded on.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Yeah that makes sense. So it should be pretty easy for you now.

·
(no comment)
353 Posts
You could also look into the super trick ones that the suberbikes use that extend past the end of the swingarm and the stand has the spools on it.

I'll look for a picture.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
o yeah I forgot about those. They are kool looking.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
found a pic

·
Cuddlie as a koala
7,520 Posts
LP has spools (8mm) that come with rivet nuts that you just drill a hole (drill supplied usually) in the side of the swingarm. INstall teh rivet nut and thread the spools in right there. Going to do that with the racebike since teh L-pad stands I have SUCK.:D:D

·
Registered Abuser
1,601 Posts
What kind of pad stand is it Rob?

·
Man with Big Hose
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
YZFRob said:
LP has spools (8mm) that come with rivet nuts that you just drill a hole (drill supplied usually) in the side of the swingarm. INstall teh rivet nut and thread the spools in right there. Going to do that with the racebike since teh L-pad stands I have SUCK.:D:D
wow what kinda of drill do they supply/ a dewalt, or bosch?? :laughing :laughing :laughing (drill bit is supplied I'm assuming...damn...wouldn't it be nice thought.

That's the one I was thinking of and saw...but didn't know how they worked. thanks YZFRob. seems simple enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts