Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know I began working on a new project for this winter earlier this week, it's a 1975 Honda CB550 that I'm going the Cafe Racer route with, I've taken most of her apart and have begun to remove rust and get the bike sorted and have a few questions.

Has anyone used Clubman bars before? The bike is rather small, especially when compared to the Daytona and I want bars as far forward as possible, but don't want to wreck my wrists, so I'm thinking either Clubman bars or just Drag bars, please give me your suggestions and reasons.

Clubman:

Drag bars:

·
6Teen Cycles
3,350 Posts
Cafe must have Clubman or Clip ons.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
clipons

·
6Teen Cycles
3,350 Posts
geo speaks the gospel. Clubmans are the real deal holyfield, but I'd do clipons if it were mine.
I would do clubmans all day long. Just make sure the ones you get aren't too square looking i like the ones that are a little more shapely.

If I didn't plan on riding my triumph daily next year I would cafe the shit out of it. I may have to look for a used modern thruxton to get my cafe kicks. Nah the wife would divorce me!

·
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I ordered some Clubman bars this weekend, along with new side covers, taillight, turn signals and some pod air filters. Bike should be more or less done a couple days after the parts get here. I finished the brakes earlier tonight, I rebuilt the master cylinder and the caliper, went very quickly surprisingly enough, decent brakes for a single piston 220mm(or so) disc but still tiny, this bike will be very different to ride than anything else I've been on. You would have been amazed at the shite at the base of the piston, 30 year old brake fluid and contaminants that looked like silt from a riverbed.

The fender was finished last night and painted earlier tonight, looks pretty decent. I have been trying to use as many parts from the stock bike as possible to keep this thing looking like a legit Rat Cafe Racer. It's not going to be a show queen by any stretch, but as long as it is mechanically sound, I'm content with it. We did some really creative stuff with the seat and hopefully you guys will enjoy it as much as I do. Looks a little bit like a mix of a Harley Davidson Sportster Bobber and a Norton, strange but nice.

Pics coming after parts come in, by end of the week at the latest.

·
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so I got it running today, runs great, starts in one kick and runs very solid... but when the gas is turned on at the petcock it leaks out the bottom of the float bowls. It doesn't flood the carbs though, the bike will still immediately start and not hesitate to run, it doesn't rev like crazy, it's like business as usual, but the gas still leaks out of the bottom of the floats. Any idea as to the cause of this?

·
Armed law abiding citizen
19,052 Posts
Gravity. :)

Sorry dude, have no idea, but cool she kickes over so easy. My pit bike does the same thing, so I will be looking for a reason too. Me thinks a bad gasket.

·
6Teen Cycles
3,350 Posts
Ok, so I got it running today, runs great, starts in one kick and runs very solid... but when the gas is turned on at the petcock it leaks out the bottom of the float bowls. It doesn't flood the carbs though, the bike will still immediately start and not hesitate to run, it doesn't rev like crazy, it's like business as usual, but the gas still leaks out of the bottom of the floats. Any idea as to the cause of this?
Needle for the float stuck open or worn (seat may be worn) Its allowing the gas to keep flowing. Also depending on where its coming from it may be the drain for the float bowl could be slightly open or no longer sealing.

·
Armed law abiding citizen
19,052 Posts
Sorry to stray Brian, but if it is leaking like this, would the engine rev really high? My pit bike does that, and I am not finding a stuck throttle.

·
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry to stray Brian, but if it is leaking like this, would the engine rev really high? My pit bike does that, and I am not finding a stuck throttle.
That's what I would have thought too, but no such deal. She settles nicely at 1.4k rpms and quietly buzzes away while the gas flows right out the bottom.

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
Needle for the float stuck open or worn (seat may be worn) Its allowing the gas to keep flowing. Also depending on where its coming from it may be the drain for the float bowl could be slightly open or no longer sealing.
+1

pull the carbs and clean.

·
6Teen Cycles
3,350 Posts
+1

pull the carbs and clean.
+1 on Vcook clean carbs if you want it right. Plus it will give you a chance to check the floats, needle and seat.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts