Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if the Suzuki and Yamaha send different models to the states for California. I want to buy a bike here and ride to Cali where I'm moving but I don't know if all the bikes that come to the US are Cali compliant. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

·
Registered
528 Posts
Somebody might have the details on this but I believe the only difference between the bikes you get here vs. California is that CA has tougher emissions standards so the manufacturers have to modify the way the bikes. Either they have to burn cleaner and/or have less emissions. Other than that they should all be the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dr. B, your comments are the reason why I want to know if the models are the same. I don't want to get to Cali and find out that my bike can't be titled/registered there because it is not emissions compliant. I guess that is my question, are all the SV650/R6's California emission compliant? Thanks.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
rubber916 said:
Dr. B, your comments are the reason why I want to know if the models are the same. I don't want to get to Cali and find out that my bike can't be titled/registered there because it is not emissions compliant. I guess that is my question, are all the SV650/R6's California emission compliant? Thanks.
I'm pretty sure you'll have a problem. To find out for sure....go to a Suzuki/Yamaha dealer and take a look at the manual for the R6 and SV. If they have sections for the California emmissions I would say there is a difference. You'd have to call an emissions testing station in CA to find out if there is a problem re locating a vehicle they may have exceptions.

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Most manufacturers have 49 state models and California models. I think some makes are exempt if their import volume is low like Aprillia, Ducati.

California models always have at least some additional parts to meet the tougher EPA standards. The most common is a fuel vapor recovery system. On some FI bikes they sometiems add a O2 sensor. And on all bikes a catalyic converter of some kind is needed.

I know BMW just makes one model for all states.

You only need these extra parts if you rgister it in Cal. You can ride there with a bike from another state.

All these "green" parts cost you 1-3% horsepower and make the biek run kind fo shitty in the midrange.

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Crazy is probably right.

To convert the bike, you would need at elst a $2000 or more of parts t oget it done. You might have better luck bribing the test center a few hunderd dollars.:D

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I know the R6 has a California model that has a lowered redline and a bunch of emissions shit on it. Don't know about Suzuki's though

Doc

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Michael said:
as long as you put 7500 miles on it before you move to cali, you should have no worries.

:confused :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused

·
Premium Member
9,252 Posts
Just checked my manual (yes, I'm that bored). The SV has a Cali model...with a whole chapter on the different parts, and maintenance req'd. Hope that helps.

Good luck~

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Michael said:
as long as you put 7500 miles on it before you move to cali, you should have no worries.
That's a interestng point. It might be a clause to prevent people from buying bikes out of state and "improting" them to California. It does allow people ot move to California and use their motorcycles.

I suggest that you go to the California DMV or DOT website and do some research. Mybe e-mial someone from one of those agencies.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Also , I would ask the guys on sportbikes.net California area forum. I believe most are on BARF bayarearidersforum.com (which is like chicagolandsportbikes)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts