Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Benchwarmer
14,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So there really isn't a music forum on here, anyway...

I've been playing guitar about 2 years now and there are some songs I can learn by ear. But I still struggle a lot with understanding one thing. And that one thing I have never understood is playing in the Key of something, be it D, G, etc.

I.E. A song with a Capo on the 8th fret played in the key of D is I think played in the key of G if you put the Capo on the 3rd fret. What if you played no capo, standard tuning then how would you play the song in key?

I've read articles and they get way deep into how the key of something works, others just give you the common chords used in the key, but how do you figure out what the key is depending on where you are at on the neck? Do you pretty much have to have the ear for it just like you would learn any other song by ear?

Like one song goes Am - F - G - C but then changes key and next time around plays Bm - D - G - A - Bm

·
CLSB's Florida Chapter.,
22,652 Posts
i too play guitar.. i would have to say for only really playing a couple times.. i'm getting pretty good. :1pimp

·
The Benchwarmer
14,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:bow :1pimp

·
Mmmmmm....
6,402 Posts
i too play guitar.. i would have to say for only really playing a couple times.. i'm getting pretty good. :1pimp

:lmao: Yeah I was gonna ask him why he was having such a hard time, there's only 5 colored buttons for the chords and a strum button... lol. Playing guitar is easy!!! :laughing:

I think I'm gonna play guitar hero now... :)

·
Only TWO cams now...
2,079 Posts
http://www.cyberfret.com/misc-wisdom/capo/index.php

"No matter what fret you have the capo on, when you play a G chord shape, in your mind you will always think of it as a G chord. This is a G chord shape. If you were to capo the guitar at the 2nd fret and play a G chord shape, then the chord sound would be that of an A chord."

·
The Benchwarmer
14,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
http://www.cyberfret.com/misc-wisdom/capo/index.php

"No matter what fret you have the capo on, when you play a G chord shape, in your mind you will always think of it as a G chord. This is a G chord shape. If you were to capo the guitar at the 2nd fret and play a G chord shape, then the chord sound would be that of an A chord."
if you're putting a capo on you cant play the same chord as you would though, that just gets the shape like the article states, not the sound.

im more or less confused how you know that a D chord shape with capo on the 8th has to be a such and such chord shape when the capo is on the 3rd fret to get that sound. the chord shape may not change no matter what the capo is on but the sound does. So im curious how you get something in key no matter what capo the fret is on. like if you play the D chord shape with capo on the 3rd fret, if the capo was on the 8th fret youd have to play a different chord shape to get that sound/key

as the site says:

You would just put a capo on the 2nd fret, and play the chord shapes G, C, and D. These chord shapes will now sound a whole step higher. They will sound like the chords A, D and E.
i want to know how to figure out how you know that on a capo'd 2nd fret you play A D E to get the sounds of G C D when youre in standard no capo

ie. the song "Sara Evans - I Could Not Ask For More" Capo 1st fret, chords G - C.

but when say Edwin McCain plays, he capo's the 2nd fret and plays D - G

·
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP
11,947 Posts
i want to know how to figure out how you know that on a capo'd 2nd fret you play A D E to get G C D playing in key
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you aren't understanding, but....

Putting a capo on the 2nd fret moves your open chords one WHOLE step up the scale, making the open E string an open F#. Basic music thoery. So G becomes A, C becomes D, and D becomes E.

Do you know where your half-steps are? A-B-C-D-E-F-G
Meaning from an A note it's 2 frets (one fret is a half-step, so one whole step up) to B, B to C is one fret, C to D is two frets, D to E is 2, E to F is one, F to G is two, G to A is two.

·
Clever Girl
10,204 Posts
No Stairway to Heaven.

·
The Benchwarmer
14,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you aren't understanding, but....

Putting a capo on the 2nd fret moves your open chords one WHOLE step up the scale, making the open E string an open F#. Basic music thoery. So G becomes A, C becomes D, and D becomes E.

Do you know where your half-steps are? A-B-C-D-E-F-G
Meaning from an A note it's 2 frets (one fret is a half-step, so one whole step up) to B, B to C is one fret, C to D is two frets, D to E is 2, E to F is one, F to G is two, G to A is two.
how come some are 2 frets for a whole step note to note but others only 1 fret/half step to the next note?

·
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP
11,947 Posts
Exactly. Start with open E on the 6th string.

The fretted notes are:

Code:
0-1-2--3-4--5-6--7-8-9-10-11-12
E-F-F#-G-G#-A-A#-B-C-C#-D-D#-E

·
The Benchwarmer
14,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exactly. Start with open E on the 6th string.

The fretted notes are:

Code:
0-1-2--3-4--5-6--7-8-9-10-11-12
E-F-F#-G-G#-A-A#-B-C-C#-D-D#-E
so then consequently starting out on the open A it would go

0-1-2-3-4-5-6
A-Bb-B-C-C#-D

·
The Benchwarmer
14,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
so say ive got capo on the 3rd, and im playing the chord shapes C - G how would the translate to standard tuning no capo? that means im 1 1/2 steps up? so whatever note that the C chord shape makes capo 3 take that 1 1/2 steps down?

IE. capo 3 - C chord shape makes the sound of an E

no capo, standard tuning, taking that down 1 and 1/2 steps would be C: 032010? EADGBe

·
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP
11,947 Posts
so say ive got capo on the 3rd, and im playing the chord shapes C - G how would the translate to standard tuning no capo? that means im 1 1/2 steps up? so whatever note that the C chord shape makes capo 3 take that 1 1/2 steps down?
I think you are over thinking this due to the capo.

I assume you know what an Emaj chord looks like. And an Fmaj is the same pattern except you bar the first fret with your index finger and slide the pattern up one fret. Your finger is no different than a capo in this scenario. You've moved up one half step from E to F. If you keep that same fingering and move up to the 3rd fret, that's a Gmaj chord. I'm talking strictly about bar chords right now, as the normal Gmaj has a different fingering pattern.

Why are you using a capo anyways?

·
The Benchwarmer
14,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you are over thinking this due to the capo.

I assume you know what an Emaj chord looks like. And and Fmaj is the same pattern except you bar the first fret with your index finger. Your finger is no different than a capo in this scenario. You've moved up one half step from E to F. If you keep that same fingering and move up to the 3rd fret, that's a Gmaj chord. I'm talking strictly about bar chords right now, as the normal Gmaj has a different fingering pattern.

Why are you using a capo anyways?
well what started this all was because im trying to learn a song the way an artist plays it. I am reading that to play this song using chord shapes in the key of G with capo 3 and the verses go Cadd2 - G (if it was capo on the 8th in key of D the chord shapes would be different obviously)

but the way this one guy plays it, there is no capo and he is using the same exact chords Cadd2 - G and im trying to figure out the other chords hes using, like if it were capo 3 you'd play the Am chord shape. so im trying to figure out the what/why of that chord in standard tuning no capo.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts