Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing a bit of progressive ticking on the R1. I originally thought that it may be the header bolts just vibrationg loose a bit. I haven't checked that yet but all the talk lately about cam chain tenioners on the board lately got me thinking. This was a race bike and I should probably check if a manual tensioner was added. How can I tell if it's an aftermarket manual tensioner. I don't have the shop manual on file here at work so does anyone know where the tensioner on my 1999 R1 is???

Thanks

·
(no comment)
353 Posts
All R1's tick, Crazy, it's the way they are. I highly doubt you have a manual tensioner or even a tensioner problem. After 3.5 years on the R1 board, I can remember one guy installing one and he was going all the way crazy with his bike.

Here's a microfiche to show you where it is and what it looks like.

·
(no comment)
353 Posts
Chain tensioner problems were big with the Hayabusas, and some of the other gixxers, as I recall. The R1's haven't had problems with them. That's not to say one couldn't have trouble with one, but it's not common.

Here's a manual cam chain tensioner for an R1.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Willie

I appreciate the response. I thought it was just me. You know how it is when you get a new bike. Things tend to get noticed the more you ride it I guess.

·
(no comment)
353 Posts
There is a section in the service manual where it shows you how to remove the tensioner and check that it is operating freely.

You can download a 98-99 service manual on .pdf, it's about 14megs. You could have won one last month on the forum too.......if you had signed up.:p

I'll get you a link for the manual download if you like.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ricerocket said:
There is a section in the service manual where it shows you how to remove the tensioner and check that it is operating freely.

You can download a 98-99 service manual on .pdf, it's about 14megs. You could have won one last month on the forum too.......if you had signed up.:p

I'll get you a link for the manual download if you like.
Thanks
I got the manual on PDF already I was at work when I posted this and didn't have it there.

BTW I'm pretty sure I signed up last month. Did I skrew up the post or something?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts