Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Illegitimi non Carborundu
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure this is ok, but can I use a standard car 12 volt battery charger on motorcycle batteries? I have a dead battery I need to charge up a bit.

·
The Victim Newbie
7,384 Posts
i have an older sears one that I have used, just put it on the smallest voltage and let it charge over night. I also used to set it to the car setting to use it to jump a bike. worked okay, and never had any problems with the regulator.

·
The Victim Newbie
7,384 Posts
u mean lowest amperage? 12 volts is 12 volts unless yours has an option for 6 volts
it does have a 6 volt, but yes, lowest amperage, sorry, slide the switch all the way to the left.

·
Thee original azzhole!
6,912 Posts
pay attention to the amp reting on the battery...then see if your charger has an adjustable amp setting...if not, then i would not try to use it...too many amps and it will destroy the battery...

·
CRF50 Squid
9,583 Posts
If I recall correctly 2amps and less are safe for a motorcycle battery. The battery tender plus does 1.25amps while the battery tender jr. outputs .75amps.

With all the bikes you have, a battery tender is a must buy. At one point I had 3 battery tenders. One plus and two jr. models. They really are worth it.

·
Wild slide rule roots
1,735 Posts
Use an amp rating that's within the safe range for the battery and you're OK. For example, a Yuasa YT12A-BS wants between 1.2 and 5 amps depending on whether you want a standard or fast charge.

Most car trickle chargers are small enough (around 2 amps) to be safe for about a 3-5 hour charge cycle, but too large to trickle charge the battery.

·
Illegitimi non Carborundu
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad I asked. The charger I have is 10 amp. i woulda blown that battery up LOL. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Battery Tender FTW. You can charge your car or motorcycle without a problem. Also it shuts off and goes into a monitoring mode when the battery gets to full charge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts