Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to hook up a switch to my new alpine radio so I don't have to use the key to turn the radio on. I have been doing some research but haven't found the answers I need yet. I think I need a 3 way switch and if so is it just the 12v red wire and switched 12v yellow wire I need to hook up?

· Chief Apex Inspector
10,427 Posts
Yes.

Center of the 3 way goes to the switched lead on the unit.

One side goes to the switched lead.
One side goes to a constant hot source.

Tom

· Registered
763 Posts
external switch for radio?

A switch for the radio? Why? If you forget to turn it off, you might run the battery down overnight. If you insist:
1) hook up the a fused yellow wire of the radio to the battery or constant "hot" wire.
2) take the radio's red wire and attach it to the center pole (dpst) OR the "+/BATT" side of a single position, single throw switch. Connect the "load/output" side of the switch to the stereo's red wire.
3) Ground the black wire and you're done ( provided your speakers are already hooked up).

GL

· Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why? Because at lunch time I like to sit outside and listen to music to escape people for half an hour a day. Also a lot of times when i'm just parked and around the suv I want to play some music and id rather just flip the switch and keep the key on me vs leaving my key in the ignition.

· Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes.

Center of the 3 way goes to the switched lead on the unit.

One side goes to the switched lead.
One side goes to a constant hot source.

Tom
So one end is constant hot from battery, middle is switched power, and other end is switched power also?

· Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or just wire it directly to the battery. Most units have an off switch IN the unit.
If I can just use the factory harness I would prefer that. I am gonna mount a switch right by the radio on the console somewhere and its easy access to get into the wires I need.

· Registered
763 Posts
keyless stereo operation

Or just wire it directly to the battery. Most units have an off switch IN the unit.
Or.....
Do like BWA says, it's much more simple. Connect the radio's red + yellow wires together. Then attach to a "constant hot" wire behind the dash or run straight to the battery. Do it this way and you won't need a switch...All you have to do is turn the radio knob/button on or off to listen to music.

Holla!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.