Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone i was wondering what you guys and girls use to clean your chain. i have an rk x ring chain so i dont know if wd 40 will hurt it. need replys thanks in advance:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Well, a lot of people say don't use WD-40 because it ruins the o-rings, or something like that. So, they recommend cleaning it w/ kerosene. However, I have always used WD-40 and promptly wiped it off and then lubed it up. I haven't had any problems w/ the chain so far (knock on wood).

I'm interested to hear what others say about WD-40.

Doc

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
i have cleaned all kind of chains on my bike..and no matter what type of lube or wax, i have always cleaned it down 1st with wd40 to help degrease (safely) and also wash away grim.
and no matter what lube or wax i have ever used...it always comes down to around the same amount of time and or area (dirty or clean roads) plays a factor.

my last 5 chains have been o-ring chains..and i have always cleaned and polised them with wd-40 and NOTHING to premature streatching to sticky links...nothing has ever gone wrong.

my advise?: just clean it with wd40 every week and your chain will be in perfect condition.;) (p.s. maybe for normal people like every 600 miles.) or sooner if you road in the rain.

·
(no comment)
353 Posts
I've only used WD40 with no ill effects. Kerosene is what Yamaha recommends.

As for lube, nothing but WD40. I've tried other stuff, but it always flys off and gets on everything. The majority of lubricant needed is on the inside of the chain links and it is sealed in via the O-rings (x or w rings too).

Is this the best way? Maybe, maybe not. It works for me and I haven't had the chain go bad on me yet. If you have internet access, :laughing check your chain manufacturer's website and see what they recommend. It may suprise you.

·
Lovin this Twin
1,980 Posts
I use WD40 also. Just dont use it as a lube, it dissapears real fast, just use it to clean with

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
For lube I use Yamaha's brand. It smells great too:rolleyes whatever that is all about.

Doc

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
John lubes the snot out of his chains with this stuff he calls "murg oil"... took the chain off of the TL at 24,000 miles and it was still almost perfect (just one small tight spot). He's still running the original chain on the 'Busa, and that's over 22,000 miles.

Downside is, the black, gunky gloppy goo that gets the rear wheel all dirty.

When he gets home, I'll ask him what he uses to clean the chains.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
clean with WD-40 and I lubed it with Honda Spray Lube.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay so it seems that wd 40 is kinda safe. when cleaning with it do you spary the whole chain then using a nylon brush(toothbrush) brush away the dirt then wash off with water. oh yeah i use motul chain lube works great but it flings all over the place.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
I used WD40 for as long as I've had a bike. My thoughts are even if it ruins the o-rings I'm going to need a new chain before that anyway.:D

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
I was told not to use a brush on a o-ring chain. Just spray with the WD-40, wait a minute and then wipe off with a rag. Then apply the lube of your choice.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Champ91 said:
I was told not to use a brush on a o-ring chain. Just spray with the WD-40, wait a minute and then wipe off with a rag. Then apply the lube of your choice.
That's the procedure I use.

Doc

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
I had to use a bruch to scrub the 1/8" off crud on my side plates after not cleaning the thing for 6 months (ummmm.... 10k miles). I used kerosene mostly because it's cheap and I needed a lot of it. I'm sure WD-40 is fine, but I don;t think chin wax will stick as well too it because it leaves a residue. I wouldnt; use just WD-40 as a hain protectant. It would come off too easy with mosture. All your doing with chain lube is preventing the cahin from rusting, keeping the O-rings supple, and providign a little lubrication at the external metal to metal contact points.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
cherrypicker said:
I had to use a bruch to scrub the 1/8" off crud on my side plates after not cleaning the thing for 6 months (ummmm.... 10k miles). I used kerosene mostly because it's cheap and I needed a lot of it. I'm sure WD-40 is fine, but I don;t think chin wax will stick as well too it because it leaves a residue. I wouldnt; use just WD-40 as a hain protectant. It would come off too easy with mosture. All your doing with chain lube is preventing the cahin from rusting, keeping the O-rings supple, and providign a little lubrication at the external metal to metal contact points.
Um spell check.:D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so which will keep my chain feeling new? chain wax or lube

·
long distance
383 Posts
Automatic trans fluid works well as a cleaner also, pour some into the rag and wipe it down. For lube I'm usein motul.

·
(no comment)
353 Posts
lossofsanity said:
so which will keep my chain feeling new? chain wax or lube
You've asked one of the oldest known questions to motorcyclists. It's answers are like a revolving door. You can get 100 different people to answer and yet the correct answer is hard to pick out.

Try them both and see which you like better. That's my best advice.

·
Registered
108 Posts
kerosene

Kerosene is around a dollar a gallon and wd 40 is almost 10 (more if its in aerosol cans), and if you are changing engine oil frequently the used oil will make great free chain lube.
Jon Nagela

1 - 20 of 20 Posts