Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Chicagoland worst dealership?

2K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  Brian 
#1 ·
I gotta nominate Bonzai Motorsports in Libertyville:

change in ownership has led to an ever increasing spiral down the toilet swirl in terms of ANY customer satisfaction whatsoever.

They've long since passed the point of competency for purchasing any more bikes from there, but I figured they would be good for the small stuff like accessories and what not.

NOPE!!!

I got into work yesterday and noticed that I was missing a bolt for the underside near the plastics holding my battery compartment to the subframe.

I had a co-worker drive me over to Bonzai at lunch time.

Walk in...no "hello, how you doing?" from anybody.
Walk over to parts counter, stand around patiently for 5 minutes while waiting for one guy to get off the phone and the other guy to stop chitchatting with some other guy that's not buying anything. Take a walk around the store, look at all the accessories and items they have on their not-so-high-traffic store. Come back to the parts counter and wait again. Phone guy is done with his conversation but has his nose buried in receipts and still won't give me the time of day or even a "just a sec, be right with ya". Other guy is still gabbing away....

Another 5 minutes later I finally get one of them to look up the part in the computer.

Salesrep: "Sorry we're out of stock on that part, I can order one for you and have it in a couple of days. It's a $3 part.

Me: "I need it now. How about I pay you $3 and you give me one off of one of the bikes on the floor"

Salesrep: "Duuuuuude, I can't do that. If somebody buys the bike then I'll have screwed a sale because of a $3 bolt.

Me: "ok, thanks anyway" :mad

yeah right! like there's a mad rush to buy bikes from there.

anybody have a GOOD experience with them to counterpoint this?

if not, just bitch about the horror stories that you have with the other dealerships. I just want to see if there are any cases out there where people absolutely love a store (good sales, good parts, good service, ....)

See less See more
#2 ·
Here's One Nomination for best dealership

Well I can peronally vouch for Honda house. They have always treated me well excellently. I bought my Valkyrie from them. I had gone in to get a vtx1800, Ray let me take it for a ride and I loved it. Then he says, Ok I know how impulsive you are so you gotta try one more bike before you buy this one or you'll kick yourself later. He says he thinks I'll like it better. So he throws me the keys to a Valkyrie interstate. (Like I'm gonna turn down a free test ride.) So I say OK.

I took the Valk out came back and signed the papers on it . I absolutly fell in love with it and am so happy he made me do that. I felt he really wanted me to get the best bike for me, and not just to make a sale.

Honda house of elmhurst definaty gets 2 thumbs up from me.

#3 ·
I second Honda House as the PREMIERE dealership for service and overall experience.

It's a small dealership and their accessorries are limited,

BUT THEY TREAT YOU WELL AND TAKE CARE OF REPEAT CUSTOMERS.

I've bought two bikes from them so far....

#4 ·
Oh and I also have good stuff to say about naperville suzuki. They have treated me very well also. I have spent hours in there looking up parts prices and other shit and they are always patient with me.

#5 ·
Nielsen's in Lake Villa

I've been gravitating toward Nielsen's lately... Folks are very friendly and helpful... I paid a fair price for my new helmet and when I went there at lunchtime on a Saturday with my mile-long "nuts and bolts list" the guys at the parts counter were more than cool with looking up everything.

#6 ·
Banzai.

Well I bought my 9R from themin '98 while they were still under the old management. I also spent ALOT of $$$ with them on parts and stuff. The parts guys were fantastic. The service manager, who now works in my company now, was great too. But I will second that since the new ownership, they have gone down hill. Ernie is right, the parts guys, dont seem to know the first thing about customer service. I have not gone back there for service.

I went there earlier this spring due to them being real close to work. I needed an oil filter. 20 minutes later they still couldn't find it. Had to call the service dept to ask if they had any. Turns out they were under the counter right in front the the kid anyway. BTW thats just it. KIDS working there. Lucky if they got M liscence.

O and the thing about them I cant stand now. I lost my 15% discount that I got for buying the bike from them.

rant over

#7 ·
Well, worst is Bonzai that I've seen. Never had much luck there buying anything more than oil. Now I won't even do that there.
One of their service techs was going to do some work on the Maxim on the side (since no dealership will work on bikes that old). Had to get a part but he never ordered it. I ordered the part from another dealership and took care of it myself. :mad

Best: Nielsen's is good for parts, that's damn sure. Always helpful. Like their apparel department too! :D I'll be looking there when I get the next bike. Rabbit got a fair trade in value for his YZF there too. They are starting to sell triumph :thumbsup
Service is a bit pricey there though.

:eek:t :eek:t :eek:t :eek:t
Receptionist is wearing a sundress today :D :thumbsup

Chris

#8 ·
well while where bashing stealerships i'd like to bash Northwest Honda in Crystal Lake. There crooks, why can i buy honda spray and polish cheaper at a kawasaki dealership????? and there salesmen treat you like your stupid and dont see that they are ripping you off! hello!!!

#9 ·
JimGoFast said:
well while where bashing stealerships i'd like to bash Northwest Honda in Crystal Lake. There crooks, why can i buy honda spray and polish cheaper at a kawasaki dealership????? and there salesmen treat you like your stupid and dont see that they are ripping you off! hello!!!
I have to agree with Jimbo here. Crystal Lake Honda Northwest sucks! End of story, and I bought my bike from them, got conned into a $500 service package (for oil changes and general maintenance.) Each time I brought my bike in they were pretty rude about getting a schedule, or adhering to their stated delivery time. Gave me a run around about needing to test drive it and everything, get the bike back and not even .1 mi had been put on.

Their service dept blows, and aren't very friendly(Sorry DanO, I know Phil I think it a relative/friend) I've bought enough stuff from them, then was bent over by them on the estimate for my accident last year. Hell, they never even bothered to take of the plastics and check things over. Ugh, they lost my business long ago!

Ciao,
Lupi

#10 ·
GsxrTony said:
Oh and I also have good stuff to say about naperville suzuki. They have treated me very well also. I have spent hours in there looking up parts prices and other shit and they are always patient with me.
I'll second that. They're getting their act together pretty good. They can still be a little slow getting parts ordered or letting you know they're in but they're a decent bunch of guys trying to run a legitimate business.

Craig their service manager is conscientious and honest.

I think they deserve recognition for their efforts.

#11 · (Edited)
Lupi said:

I have to agree with Jimbo here. Crystal Lake Honda Northwest sucks! End of story, and I bought my bike from them, got conned into a $500 service package (for oil changes and general maintenance.) Each time I brought my bike in they were pretty rude about getting a schedule, or adhering to their stated delivery time. Gave me a run around about needing to test drive it and everything, get the bike back and not even .1 mi had been put on.

Their service dept blows, and aren't very friendly(Sorry DanO, I know Phil I think it a relative/friend) I've bought enough stuff from them, then was bent over by them on the estimate for my accident last year. Hell, they never even bothered to take of the plastics and check things over. Ugh, they lost my business long ago!
Wow... I'm surprised to hear things about their service dept.... most people I know are generally pretty happy. Phill is a friend of DanO, and my cousin (I actually met DanO through Phill...) But whatever - if you were treated poorly, then you were treated poorly, not gonna defend them. Just go somewhere else next time.

As for their sales dept... well, they're motorcycle salesmen. It's pretty rare you find a salesman that ISN'T a dick. Especially those Haider and Nick characters over at Woodfield Motorsports - they're the worst of the bunch ;) ;) :D

I'm not gonna say anything about HondaNW's parts dept. staff...

#12 ·
It's pretty rare you find a salesman that ISN'T a dick. Especially those Haider and Nick characters over at Woodfield Motorsports - they're the worst of the bunch

you ant kidding...i went over there and this skinny fucker was rude to me...i was like wanting to buy a new 2002 R-1 and he was like telling me i cant ride for shit and i am some posing bitch streets of woodfeild whore that just hangs out...so instead he was trying to get me to the card board cut out of the r-1:laughing

just kidding...nick is a cool mofo;) :thumbsup

#13 ·
Ernie said:
I gotta nominate Bonzai Motorsports in Libertyville:

change in ownership has led to an ever increasing spiral down the toilet swirl in terms of ANY customer satisfaction whatsoever.

They've long since passed the point of competency for purchasing any more bikes from there, but I figured they would be good for the small stuff like accessories and what not.

NOPE!!!

I got into work yesterday and noticed that I was missing a bolt for the underside near the plastics holding my battery compartment to the subframe.

I had a co-worker drive me over to Bonzai at lunch time.

Walk in...no "hello, how you doing?" from anybody.
Walk over to parts counter, stand around patiently for 5 minutes while waiting for one guy to get off the phone and the other guy to stop chitchatting with some other guy that's not buying anything. Take a walk around the store, look at all the accessories and items they have on their not-so-high-traffic store. Come back to the parts counter and wait again. Phone guy is done with his conversation but has his nose buried in receipts and still won't give me the time of day or even a "just a sec, be right with ya". Other guy is still gabbing away....

Another 5 minutes later I finally get one of them to look up the part in the computer.

Salesrep: "Sorry we're out of stock on that part, I can order one for you and have it in a couple of days. It's a $3 part.

Me: "I need it now. How about I pay you $3 and you give me one off of one of the bikes on the floor"

Salesrep: "Duuuuuude, I can't do that. If somebody buys the bike then I'll have screwed a sale because of a $3 bolt.

Me: "ok, thanks anyway" :mad

yeah right! like there's a mad rush to buy bikes from there.

anybody have a GOOD experience with them to counterpoint this?

if not, just bitch about the horror stories that you have with the other dealerships. I just want to see if there are any cases out there where people absolutely love a store (good sales, good parts, good service, ....)
If I'm not mistaken, Bonzai was bought by Young America in MAdison. IF thats the case, then I'm not surprised how bad Bonzai is now. BOTH Young Americas (in Madison and Beaver Damned:D) SUCK ASS!!!! Their sales peopel mostly couldnt ride a motorcycle much less know about them.

#14 ·
Odysseys said:

you ant kidding...i went over there and this skinny fucker was rude to me...i was like wanting to buy a new 2002 R-1 and he was like telling me i cant ride for shit and i am some posing bitch streets of woodfeild whore that just hangs out...so instead he was trying to get me to the card board cut out of the r-1:laughing

just kidding...nick is a cool mofo;) :thumbsup
yeah, :thumbsup for Woodfield team & shop. I've gotten great service and discounts on bike goodies there. Nick (doubleR) was helpful with quotes when I was shopping for a replacement bike. Cool shop and I love giving business to them.

the only thing I can ding them on is that they're not an authorized Suzuki dealership :p

#16 ·
Ernie said:

the only thing I can ding them on is that they're not an authorized Suzuki dealership :p
Not everyones perfect. Someday they will see the light :D :D

#17 ·
You are right Rob. Young America

I like that other shop on the other side of town. Engelhart I think it is. But thats just based on appearance not dealing with.

There is another up in Richland Center thats large and has lots to look at. I forget the name at the moment. :confused

#18 ·
Ernie said:

Yeah Yeah.....Ever since those damn Gixxers(post '00) came out...:laughing :laughing
I need to suck it up and get Suzuki oh I could use the extra business... :laughing :laughing :laughing I would double my parts #s in replacement parts for suzuki....LMFAO...:laughing :laughing
Anyways thanks guys

Laterz....

#22 ·
OmniGLH said:
LOL... yeah Ernie... I beat 'em up too about it!

That's ok tho - they can still get Suzuki parts n stuff :)
Yep got my clutch cable for my 750 from them, at least i know when i order from them im gonna get it and get it within a couple of days!

#23 ·
I've always had good luck with the Parts Department at Speed Limit Cycle. They can usually get me really fair prices on anything OEM or from LP or Parts Unlimited.

The service department ripped me last time getting my tires mounted, but once before Jerry in service gave me a freebie on riviting the masterlink on my new chain. So they are on the shady side of 50/50.

Mike in parts is a decent guy and has always done me right. I give him an A.

#24 ·
Champ91 said:
You are right Rob. Young America

I like that other shop on the other side of town. Engelhart I think it is. But thats just based on appearance not dealing with.

There is another up in Richland Center thats large and has lots to look at. I forget the name at the moment. :confused

I bought both my FZR600 and YZF750 from Engelhart Center. Both from teh same salesman, Dennis. Got a good deal on both. Even test rode the YZF. The one in Richland Center is Vetesniks. IF I stay with sportbikes, thats where I'm going. They can beat Engelharts prices anyday now.

#25 ·
YZFRob said:

I bought both my FZR600 and YZF750 from Engelhart Center. Both from teh same salesman, Dennis. Got a good deal on both. Even test rode the YZF. The one in Richland Center is Vetesniks. IF I stay with sportbikes, thats where I'm going. They can beat Engelharts prices anyday now.
Yep thats them.

#26 ·
Yea BANZAI SUCKS BUTT! Ok on the plus side I bought my TL100R there and got it for just under 9k out the door way towards the end of the season ('00)...and while a few guys told me I could have found an even better deal, but this was still pretty good I think (I also had them throw in the first check up). Now when I brought my bike in for service it sat there for a month and a half. Then they told me they ordered the wrong color parts and I had a different place tow it outta there that day (Ron & Brians...excellent work). Every day it would be some other excuse...my bike was untouched from the spot where I parked it when it first came in. As an instructor I tell all of my students to avoid that place with a passion. Half the guys have no clue as to what they're talking about. One guy tried to convince me that the Katana was a better track bike than the 600 gixxer...I don't remember exactly what he said because I think blood began pouring from my ears. They have a nice selection (when it's in stock), and a lot of used bikes...however I wish that the fleas from a thousand camels infest the armpits of most of the sales people there. Basically to sum it up, I'm not too thrilled with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.