Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer has been acting sort of quirky lately. I am going to clear the harddrive and start all over. However, I have never done this, I don't know how to go about doing it, I don't know what I need to make disks of (save), and I don't know what a pain in the ass it is.

Also, if you have any suggestions prior to doing this such as... you will lose all your stored email and email contacts, etc. (BTW...will I?)

Thanks,

Doc

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
first why dont you tell us what your computer is doing, scrubbing the hard drive and starting over should be the last measure. do you regularly run a disk clean up and a disk defrag? doing both of those first should help make the computer run better.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Defrag. yes...clean up?

The computer keeps locking up when try to do multiple tasks (ie. print and go to different internet site). Also, the computer locks up on sites like NESBA where you click on events and it brings up a new window. Also, it won't let me print sometimes.

In the past week it's been locking up way too much. I'm going to do a disk clean up, but I just would like to get rid of a lot of dead files/folders. Figured starting over would be the way to go. Also, I don't know how the clean up thingy works, but I will find out in a min.

Doc

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
jims right whats the problem that makes you want to dump the drive?

·
CLSB SuperHero
1,808 Posts
how often do you defrag? how big is the hard drive? how many gigs are used on the hard drive? have you done a scan disk recently? have you installed any new programs recently?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TerminatorR1 said:
how often do you defrag? how big is the hard drive? how many gigs are used on the hard drive? have you done a scan disk recently? have you installed any new programs recently?
Well, I defrag. about one a month or every other month. The hard drive is 9.5 GB and I am using 6.5 GB. I just deleted all the temp. files and temp. internet files and that gave me double the free space than I had before the disk cleanup was done. And no, I haven't installed any new programs in over a month.

Doc

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YZFRob said:
Doc, is there a Compaq logo on the puter?:D:D:D
Rob, we're not talking about that tatoo on your ass that you would rather not talk about, but explains a lot:twofinger J/K

BTW- It's a Dell Dimension 4100.

Doc

·
Please attend carefully..
2,625 Posts
Do you have enough memory?

What version of Windows are you running?

If you DO reformat the hard drive, do you have a CD or DVD burner? If you save what is important on your hard drive (your emails and address books should be stored in a folder) onto the CD or DVD, it should be simple to copy it back to the hard drive, but I would suggest running it through some up-to-date anti-virus software first.

Just a few thoughts.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Norseman82 said:
Do you have enough memory?

What version of Windows are you running?

If you DO reformat the hard drive, do you have a CD or DVD burner? If you save what is important on your hard drive (your emails and address books should be stored in a folder) onto the CD or DVD, it should be simple to copy it back to the hard drive, but I would suggest running it through some up-to-date anti-virus software first.

Just a few thoughts.
I am running Windows 98 Second edition.

I do have a CD burner.

How do you go about reformating your harddrive. Sorry, I am clueless. I've never done it before.

Thanks,

Doc

·
Registered
18 Posts
Doc,

I think if you really want to redo the drive, you may want to invest in a new hard drive. They are relatively cheap and that way you can keep your data intact on the original drive. I am not sure how Dell deals with home PC's if you wipe out the hard drive. In the past, they would give you a hard time with the warranty. There are also ways to export your e-mail and address book from Outlook if that is what your using.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm actually using AOL...but not for long. Finally doing the switch to cable (sick of waiting for DSL).

Anyway, what is so bad about reformatting the harddrive? I have all the disks from when I bought the thing and started it up. I really don't want to spend the dough on a new harddrive for a couple of reasons.

1. It will cost me money.

2. I know how to turn on the computer, make do what I want it to do (for the most part), and thats about it.

:D

I do understand having a second harddrive would be sweet and cover my ass, but I do have a computer at school that is soley mine. So, if I really screw up mine at home, I can use the one there. However, I would have to deal with the boss (read: wife) :rolleyes :laughing

Doc

·
Work In Progress...
2,003 Posts
Doc ,
I Am no puter genious, but it is very easy to set up a new hard drive. You have a really small drive, 9.5 is almost like historic. With then new programs that are coming out now, it would be worth it to put in a new drive. I just put in a 80Gig...for like $129.00 Plus the new drives are alot faster than the old..somethng to think aobut if you are going to re-format anyway.????

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
$129.00!!!!! That's a trackday!!! :rofl

Doc

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
actually thats several track days for the computer. is really a good investment. Can use the existing HD as a secondary drive. Set the new one up as primary and then transfer over the data you want and then format the old drive. Been there done that several times.

·
Please attend carefully..
2,625 Posts
Doc said:
I'm actually using AOL

With AOL your address book is saved in the "idb" folder. The emails are saved either there or in the "organize" folder.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, so far no problems since the disk clean up and defrag. Maybe I should do that more often.

Michael, lets wait until you have to have your oil changed or something. That way the drive will less painful :D

Doc

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sounds like you've fixed it, but here is something else you might want to try.

A couple of months ago I was having the same problem. About 50% of the time when I would click on a link that opened another browser window (like the NESBA site) and my computer would lock up. Really annoying!!! Something running in the background was messing with my PC.

I found some free software from:

http://www.lavasoft.nu/index.html

it detects and deletes spyware from your computer. After I ran this the problem went away.

Anyway... just a thought. Never hurts to check.

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Doc said:
I'm actually using AOL...but not for long. Finally doing the switch to cable (sick of waiting for DSL).

Doc
I was havign similar problems and i think AOL was the root cause along with maybe a virus.

I've reformatted my laptop at least 4 times in the last few years.
I'm not a pro but I've done it a few times.

You need to do it from DOS and have one of those Windows recovery boot disks to brign the system back up again. The boot disk mainly allows use of the CD Rom dive so you can read the Windows CD.

Just restart in DOS. type "format", then "C:\", type "Y" for yes.

I do have trouble getting the system back sometimes. If you serach around the directories on the windows CD in DOS you can usually find the installer program.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jcc_rr said:
I found some free software from:

http://www.lavasoft.nu/index.html

it detects and deletes spyware from your computer. After I ran this the problem went away.

Anyway... just a thought. Never hurts to check.
Thanks! I am going to install it tonight. I think that might be part of the problem too.

Doc

1 - 20 of 23 Posts