Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
habitual line stepper
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dave Matthews is one of my favorite bands. I've never seen them in concert and I hear they put on a great show. Anyway, so tickets go on sale this past Saturday for Chicago Arena. So, I sit on my computer, click 12:00 noon, click, click, best available. Wohoo 9th row. Purchase. Deal is done, 12:01. I look at the seating chart and yeah, it's 9th row, in section 109! ARGH!

What the hell does it take to get good tickets?

All I can figure is that I selected best available in all sections, maybe I should have selected main floor.

Last time I bougt tickets, Creed last year, I went to the store and sat in line. Got 3rd in the lottery and the mother F'rs who got first in the lottery sat there F'n around, credit card wouldn't work, blah, blah, blah. And then to top it off they were buying lawn seat general admission tickets at Alpine Valley. I'm like WTF??? Why even be in the lottery you dorks! ARGH!

I'll still enjoy the concert but I had a great time when I was near the front for Aerosmith/Megadeth. What a combo! Hehehe, the wife got to touch Steven Tyler and Dave Mustaine flicked a pick at my head (which I still have) :). What more could you ask for! :laughing

Anyway, how do you guys do it? What's the secret?

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
Jack,

This is a perenial problem with ticket buying in general. A lot of those promoters sell the tickets early to 'ticket brokers', and 3/4 of the people in the line/on the net are working for them. I know WWF (now WWE) sells most of their floor seats early to the scalpers, hence it's damn near impossible to get good seats the legitimate way.

If you want great seats you have to through those folks or get lucky. One way is to hit ebay a couple weeks before the show. Sometimes people buy tickets and then can't go, and a lot of 'ticket brokers' are on there. The REAL brokers (with an office and license) will eat a ticket before selling at face value (so they can get a tax write off). But a couple days before, they may go to within 10-20 dollars a ticket. If you use Ebay, make sure they have a good seller rating, obviously! :D

9th row for Megadeth? I was 7th row for Rush (Test for Echo tour), and midway into the floor section for the first Plant/Page tour. Oh, and JUST off the floor for Metallica. I've seen Kiss 4 times and NEVER got great seats for it. :( Both times I saw megadeth were general admission, hence I was able to get pretty close. First time I saw them, some new, crazy band with a bagpipe player for a singer opened for them--named Korn. I think I actually SAW the bass coming out of Fieldy's speaker. I was also only 5 feet from it :evil

Chris

·
habitual line stepper
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Yeah, that just sucks!

I had a blast years ago when my friends and I went to this all-ages show in this dive of a bar in Deep Ellum Texas. It's an area of town right next to Dallas where alternative types hang, lots of clubs and all kinds of music from reggae to Pantera.

Anyway, Offspring was there, not sure they were to happy to playing such a dive, their first album had been out for awhile. We had the best time mashing and I had my first opportunity at stage diving. What a blast! I stage dove about 5 times, ended up with a slight hematomah on my head, but wow, what a great time...

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Jack,

when I was younger:rolleyes I used to call Milwaukee ticketmaster and order great seats for sold out concerts around here. I guess that doesn't work anymore. However, I haven't been to the Chicago Arena but most of the Concert setups now there is hardly a bad seat in the house.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Best advice is to find a friend who deals with Corporate entities. They get all the good tickets. Like football games if i get em they are 3 rows off the field and 45 yrd line. It sucks but big Corporate controls EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Labdog said:
Best advice is to find a friend who deals with Corporate entities. They get all the good tickets. Like football games if i get em they are 3 rows off the field and 45 yrd line. It sucks but big Corporate controls EVERYTHING.
My company has a box at the Arena. They charge up the [email protected]#$ for concert tickets though.:mad

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Yeah im sure they do but most companys are happy to give them to a possible client. or if they notice THEY cant use them then they will try to recoup their pocket money because they will right off the season or box as expense. Bas****s!:mad

·
habitual line stepper
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crazy said:
I haven't been to the Chicago Arena but most of the Concert setups now there is hardly a bad seat in the house.
Yeah, I was just hoping to get A LOT closer! I know it will be a good show but still.

Corporate? Yeah, my neighbor is in sales and has tons of contacts. He's going too. He didn't buy last weekend, he just said, yeah, I was talking to blah blah blah (some tickmaster guy), told him I wanted some tickets.... sigh....

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Jack said:
Dave Matthews is one of my favorite bands. I've never seen them in concert and I hear they put on a great show. Anyway, so tickets go on sale this past Saturday for Chicago Arena.

OK, one quick thing.....the show is at the United Center!
next, I'm a big fan of Dave Matthews also. I've been to at least 8 shows now (I sorta lost track), and after this tour i'll be up to 10. One great way to get Dave tickets is to join the wharehouse (what they call the fan club). By joining the wharehouse, you get to buy your tickets before they go on sale to the general public. This tour they are having the show on Friday night at the United Center, and Saturday night at Assembly Hall (U of I) in Champaign.

When I went to see the last U2 concert (Elevation Tour), I didn't even have tickets. All I did was go to United Center and just walk around outside and I bought 2 floor tickets (open seating) for face value. Other than that, I've bought tickets off of ebay before....I've gotten decent deals before.

·
habitual line stepper
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Re: Concert Tickets

GautamCity said:
OK, one quick thing.....the show is at the United Center!
next, I'm a big fan of Dave Matthews also. I've been to at least 8 shows now (I sorta lost track), and after this tour i'll be up to 10. One great way to get Dave tickets is to join the wharehouse (what they call the fan club). By joining the wharehouse, you get to buy your tickets before they go on sale to the general public. This tour they are having the show on Friday night at the United Center, and Saturday night at Assembly Hall (U of I) in Champaign.
Thanks, yeah saw that on their site, but when I saw it they had stopped selling on their site by then. I guess I should still join for next time. You're right on the locale for some reason arena sounded right when I posted it.

·
IDK WTF TO PUT HERE NOW!
2,765 Posts
Best thing I ever did for tickets...was go to Ticketmaster.com, find a # for somthing like a TN branch. Basically do a little research, and find a far away town that didnt have a big concert sale going on during the same day.

Result: 7th row, just off center to see Ghallager. Yup, cottage cheese and watermellon in the face. Priceless!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts