Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best quote from the article
"The committee also lambasted Yahoo for not offering an apology and providing assistance to Shi Tao's family.

"Mr. Yang, Mr. Callahan, Shi Tao’s mother is sitting in the first row right behind you – I would urge you to beg the forgiveness of the mother whose son is languishing behind bars due to Yahoo’s actions," Lantos said."

http://wor.ldne.ws/node/11784

Yahoo lied to Congress about helping China jail reporter
Tue, 11/06/2007 - 17:39

A United States congressional panel ruled today that Yahoo provided false information to Congress during the investigation into whether the search engine giant provided information to authorities in China which lead to a dissident journalist being sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Based upon the Committee’s bipartisan investigation of the Yahoo testimony, the House Committee on Foreign Affairs concluded that "Despite the sworn testimony before the Committee that Yahoo! did not know the nature of the investigation into the Shi Tao case, Yahoo! employees did know that the Chinese government wanted information related to Shi Tao because of a so-called “state secrets” investigation in order to imprison him."

"This was inexcusably negligent behavior at best, and deliberately deceptive behavior at worst," Committee Chairman Tom Lantos said about the testimony of Michael Callahan, the General Counsel of Yahoo." I wish to repeat this: This was inexcusably negligent behavior at best, and deliberately deceptive behavior at worst."

The Committee also came to the conclusion that after discovering that its General Counsel had provided false information on this critical matter, Yahoo tried to sweep this grave transgression under the rug.

Callahan and Chief Executive Officer Jerry Yang testified before the panel today.

The committee also lambasted Yahoo for not offering an apology and providing assistance to Shi Tao's family.

"Mr. Yang, Mr. Callahan, Shi Tao’s mother is sitting in the first row right behind you – I would urge you to beg the forgiveness of the mother whose son is languishing behind bars due to Yahoo’s actions," Lantos said.

·
Only TWO cams now...
2,079 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$$$ what else needs to be said? Damn I hate the internet. Google included.

Full disclosure: I work for an internet based company.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts