Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any input on it? It's a 2000 with 6k for $2150. A few little aftermarket things. I'm a little worried about OEM and aftermarket parts availability (they are not even in our collision estimating software). What I do like is electric start, street legal, 6 speeds. I'm considering this, xr650r, and klx650r.

·
Registered
18,079 Posts
In my limited experience youll find that thing a Sherman Tank on the tight twisty trails

Whats the weight ?

If it fell over on its side in sand could you pick it back up?

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
for that price it would be a fun around town dual sport. Hell, I'd put motard tires on it and be done with it. I dont think I'd want to wrestle that beast around the trails though.

·
Lotsa bike to have to drag around. Make no mistake, oem parts are pricey and only come from a couple places. I think they are calling this vintage "HusqaGivas" as they share a bunch of parts. I have no clue though. Aftermarket sucks. Hall's Husky (Peoria I think?) will be where you get the most help.

Good price on it though. Would make a great supermoto bike.

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
You can get aftermarket Acerbis or UFO plastics easy. Getting OEM stuff from Cagiva can be another story, and I imagine it will only get more complicated for the interim changeover to BMW ownership. You might want to give local Husky dealers a call and check to see if they have common items in stock.
FWIW, parts were easy to get when I had my Husky SM610, pretty much same motor.

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
Lotsa bike to have to drag around. Make no mistake, oem parts are pricey and only come from a couple places. I think they are calling this vintage "HusqaGivas" as they share a bunch of parts. I have no clue though. Aftermarket sucks. Hall's Husky (Peoria I think?) will be where you get the most help.

Good price on it though. Would make a great supermoto bike.
Nope, too heavy. Street moto, perhaps.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
xr650r isnt street legal, you're thinking of the 650l.
klr650 is a big turd, but reliable as a tank.
From what I read the L is too much off a compromise. I was thinking the R with the Baja kit to make it street legal. I had a KLR before. way too wimpy for any real off road. Even just the forks supper thin. thats why I was thinking klx650r there is also a klx650c.

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
From what I read the L is too much off a compromise. I was thinking the R with the Baja kit to make it street legal.
not that easy to make off road bikes street legal in IL unless they screw up the paperwork at the DMV.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In my limited experience youll find that thing a Sherman Tank on the tight twisty trails

Whats the weight ?

If it fell over on its side in sand could you pick it back up?
I think it's 330 dry. I picked up a KLR before. Not fun, but doable. I'm not looking for an MX bike, i really need a dualsport.

·
Registered
646 Posts
You can always come over to Husaberg. They are at least still designed and developed in Sweden, even if they have been produced in KTM's factory in Austria since 2004.

The company was originally formed back in 1987 by some engineers that didn't want to move to Italy when Cagiva bought out Husky. Then KTM bought them out in 1996 to basically "buy" the engine design for their first competitive 4 stroke.

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
'Bergs are pretty kickass.

I want a FS650C. :1pimp

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
ok, what about this compared to a 2002 KTM LC4 640e? So many choices :-( What I like about the 610 is that it's a 6speed and is supposed to have a much smoother engine. On the other hand the KTM has much bigger after market and better dealer support.

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
ok, what about this compared to a 2002 KTM LC4 640e? So many choices :-( What I like about the 610 is that it's a 6speed and is supposed to have a much smoother engine. On the other hand the KTM has much bigger after market and better dealer support.
I've ridden both, the 610 is smoother than the older LC4's. The husky has a counterbalancer shaft, so that helps, But they're both big thumper singles, so 'smooth' is relative.

On the flipside, KTMs Rule.

The new LC4 in the 690's is much smoother than either, perhaps the smoothest thumper I've ridden.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts