Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Tommy want wingy
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not much of a regular on this board, but I had just moved in with Grover, so maybe I'll get a chance to meet more of you. If you would, keep my buddy in your prayers?

Originally posted by HRB:
[QB]My best friend, riding partner, and fellow Chicago area Suzukihayabusa.org member passed away Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Gman (Gerard Viola of Libertyville, Illinois) did not have the number of posts to give many of you a chance to know him, but I assure you, he was here as often as anyone and his world revolved around the Hayabusa. A day wouldn't go by without him debating whether to turbo or spray, polish or chrome, or the timeless question of the TRE.

I met him through this board close to a year ago. After asking me if I wanted to go on a sport-touring trip with our wives, I told him that I was going through a divorce, he opened up and told me that things were in a similar state at home, and I guess that was enough bond for us. It helped to have a friend for me, while he was able to watch me go through my divorce and see that I came out standing. From that point on, we would ride, trade emails, and hang out pretty regularly.

Over the past few months, his wife lost her job which created financial concerns, there was some questions of his job security recently, and things continued to degrade in his relationship with his wife. It was tough, but it seemed like he was pulling through. On Thursday night we went to the local boat races in my friend's Fountain boat, Friday night went out for pizza and some beers, and Saturday rode down to a bike shop down south. The last time I saw him was when we split off with him heading for home and me heading to race a blown WS6 T/A.

The details are between Gerard, his wife, and the police, but I believe that things were just more than he could take and he took his life between our last phone conversation on Saturday night and my phone call to him on Sunday morning.

Gerard was one of the finest men I've known. Loved and worshipped his wife to the very end, loved his dog and cats, and would give a friend the shirt off his back. Taking the easy way out wasn't his way, and if he knew the pain that his
family and friends were going through, he'd have reconsidered.

How to remember someone like Gerard... I'm not sure. I can tell you two things that would have meant the world to him (and I'm sorry if it puts anyone on the spot):

1. Being added to the list of Godspeed to JR BUSA and 01erion on the main board page.

2. Having his name, however small, on the NLR drag bike. That was his dream, to have a NLR system installed by Motorhead. I wish he could have held on for brighter days...

If anyone would like to come to the services, please give me a call on my cell phone (847) 420-6225. At this point, nothing has been arranged as he was found last night, and I'm not sure I'll be working this week to answer emails.

Godspeed buddy.

:( [/QB]
I hope you don't mind, but I linked the picture of Gerard (he's in the middle on the red busa) to another thread on SH.org...

·
3,613 Posts
Damn, that's real sad news, Rick, and I'm sorry to hear.

RIP Gerard. :( :(

·
Tommy want wingy
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, he was a good man and I already miss him. Thanks again guys.

·
Work In Progress...
2,003 Posts
Rick......... I JUST saw the post about Gerard. I am numb....... I cant believe it ... My wife and I are reading it in disbelief... You guys were just here a few weeks ago, and I spoke to him not more than a few days on the phone. Wow Rick.... please please give me a phone call.......... 773-491-8174 Cell........ call anytime!!!!! I tried your number but NO answer. We want to give our respects....... He is and will always be a great man :(

PLEASE CALL ME!

Gregg

·
Work In Progress...
2,003 Posts
I just got off the phone with Rick. He is devistated.. as my wife and I are . Gerard was and will always be a kind, loving man who as Rick said would give you the shirt off of his back. Services are set for this Wed /Thur.... in Wauconda... If anyone would like directions please call me..773-491-8174 Cell
I will give you the addy ... MapQuest .
I dont really know what to say... If you knew Gerard , you knew a fun, loving, always teasing you kinda guy. He will be missed dearly. Tears keep me from saying much more...........

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
RIP Gman:(

Doc

·
CLSB RESIDENT *******!!!!
1,331 Posts
I'm sorry I never got to meet Gerard. HRB, BuzByU, and who ever else knew him You will all be in my prayers.

RIP Gman :(

Mark

·
Slayed by the Dragon
626 Posts
HRB, first let me say I am sorry for the lost of your friend. God will comfort all those that loved and miss Gman. He will replace void in your hearts with love and good memories.

Gman will be in my prayers and I pray that Gman's family will be taken care of and that God will be with his family at a time like this.:(

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
Folks, this f'n sucks. Just last week I was emailing Gerard 'bout the Maxim, trying to resist the urge to buy his PS2 from him, and drooling excessively over the beautiful red 'busa that he parked in my garage.. He helped me put the new grips on the SV, damn near found a buyer for the Maxim, and was a great guy. He was, unfortunately a bit impulsive, as characterized in his love of burnouts in the not so greatest places, like the time he filled the parking lot with smoke..damn it looked pretty but Rick caught hell the next day. If he would have thought it out a bit more, I'm sure it wouldn't have happenned. I'm sitting at work fighting off the tears and barely slept last night. :( :(

:( :(

Chris

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
This does suck. I just put up a memorial to him on the front page. Godspeed bro.

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
RIP... with deepest sympathy from John and I.
Let me know if there's anything we can do.

·
Tommy want wingy
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all for the prayers. Gerard's family was happy to hear he is well remembered.

The visitation will be Wednesday and Thursday evenings from 5pm until 8pm with the funeral on Friday (I have no idea what time yet)

The funeral home is

Kisselburg-Wauconda funeral home
235 North Main Street
Wauconda, IL 60084

phone: 847-526-2115

I'll be riding to the service and funeral as I'm sure he'd have it no other way.

Here's one more picture taken of Gerard on this past Thursday night on our way to Blarney's Island to watch the boat races.

·
Old Squid on a Blade
9,388 Posts
:( RIP :(

G

·
HRB

Will be leaving in the mornng to run the Dragon and race my ass back home.. Will sto by if not to late onway home. f not will see you at the wake.. Will be Riding as Well..

Well gotta get some sleep before I ride. itsfive hours to the draon and another 12 home..

Yall be safe.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts