Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Cycle Gear Schaumburg

3K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  ELgix6 
#1 ·
Coming soon, just got an email from them.

See less See more
#2 ·
My friend Nikki works for Cycle Gear, and has transfered here to Chicago, to help them set up the shop. Bad time to try and open a shop, especially here in Chicago, but she just helps manage 'em.

They'll be quietly "soft opening" in a week or two.

#3 ·
The bigger question is whether Chicago Performance is happy that this is a sign that retail sales in the motorcycle world are improving or angry because an online retailer stomped out all the local retailers before putting in their own brick and mortar?

:laughing You had it coming, Ken!

#9 ·
This is good news! This definitely means the industry is recovering and people are making so much money now! :lmao: So I guess the business plan that made them grow is now obsolete and they think a brick and mortar store will work? :lmao: OK. Yes I am pissed off now! This will cut my retail apparel sales in half! How will I pay my water bill now? :laughing: However, if somebody takes me out to lunch this month my retail apparel margins are back on track! :lmao: No, I don't give a crap. The only divisions in this industry that are thriving are ones that have a price protection built in. i.e. Ducati, Triumph, possibly Dainese etc. All the jap stuff and anything that can be sold online at a discount will suffer and continue to do so despite people not realizing that is the reason and not intelligence, customer service, capital, etc.

#5 ·
Parts or just gear?

#7 ·
Kinda close to the D-Store too. Questionable move here timing-wise too.

#8 ·
They focus on the cheaper lines of stuff.....cause you know sportbikers are cheap:)

However, they do a ton of research before they ever open a new location. That's why they have over a 100 stores nationwide....they didn't get their being stupid.

I went to the one here in Louisville and wasn't impressed either....however it was exactly what I expected and most don't know the difference.

#17 ·
I'd like a place that sells used OEM stuff .some new parts, high perf. stuff on the shelves.

Fast track in Des plains is along those lines.Yet to far from home for a quick visit.

#26 ·
Just wanted to chime in since CycleGear is popular in NC.. Typically they have cheaper gear. Big name-brands for sportbike gear will be Alpinestars, Dainese and Icon. Pricing is high (typical retail), but the service is excellent. So long as you're in the system, returns are cake without receipts. All house-brand gear (Sedici and Bilt -- once upon a time Frank Thomas) have lifetime warranties (this includes from normal wear and tear, but not crashing).

Sedici is their top of the line house brand, it's really not that bad, while Bilt is questionable, but certainly better than nothing. I can't speak on behalf of their dirtbike gear, as I'm have no real knowledge of it. They mainly sell gear, and some parts and tools (Trackside). Anything in their catalog they can special order it without a problem. Touring gear they carry First Gear and usually a few others. Helmets they carry quite some of everything, Arai, Shoei, HJC, Bilt, Vega, O'Neal, and SevenZeroSeven (House brand, supposedly rebranded O'Neal's)

About their warranty:
A friend of mine bought Bilt boots (avoid the perforated) which eventually tore at a broken-in crease. He returned them 2 years later (boots should not do this!) and was given a 75 dollar credit since he didn't have the receipt -- he paid 50 for them (on sale).

I borrowed a set of saddle bags from a friend, after a ride through the mountains I realized my suspension was a tad soft and my tire ate through one of the bags. 3 months later my friend took them back and got his money as store credit. He stated a strap broke (it was missing) and caused the bag to rub.

I don't support ripping a company off, but this is the extent to which they stand behind their guarantee.

Their service is limited, they will mount tires if they are off the bike, and balance wheels/tires for free regardless of where you get your tires and have them installed. I've never needed anything else haha.

Just my 2 cents. I appreciate CycleGear, as they can be convenient at times. And as mentioned, though some of their gear is low quality, it's also provided with the budget in mind. Cheap gear is better than no gear (usually).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.