Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need more help from the resident electricians and/or people that have electrocuted themselves and lived.

Trying to wire up a ceiling fan in the master bedroom. Need a hot wire and a neutral wire, and of course - there was more shit in there than I bargained for. 3 Red. 3 Gray. 1 Yellow. 1 Orange. ...to be exact. They all come from 3 conduit feeds (forgive me if that's the wrong terminology). Two of the feeds have a single red and gray. One of the feeds has the other two red and gray plus the misfit orange and yellow.

There are two wall switches in the room - one that controls a floor outlet, the other is a mystery.

There wasn't anything mounted here before to my knowledge.

I have tried testing all of the red / gray combinations (gray / red from a single feed) individually using a lightbulb tester that my Dad loaned me. No joy. I'm wondering if I need to bundle everything together in order to keep a circuit going or something? Meaning, do I add the hot and neutral wires from the fan assembly to the bunch of red and gray and then hope I don't set the house on fire?

If so - do I need to do anything with the orange and yellow wires or are those just there for decoration?

Thanks in advance.

Pics:

Attachments

·
Tgf Og
8,472 Posts
my guess is the white or what you are calling grey is your common wire. the reds are your hots and the yellow and orange are your switch legs, one to that box and the other to that floor outlet. thats my guess , you should have a volt tick to test those reds to make sure they are your hot wires. 11 dollar item at any home goods store, save ya from zapping yourself. no im not an electrician, i do work for a ED though and wired many of items in my own house. so take it fwiw

·
Tgf Og
8,472 Posts
take the outlet out of the floor box and look at the color wires going there, the other is for your fan box LOL.

most home construction to fan boxes do not include wire for light on fan. an extra expense that may not be used, so to save cost they dont include it. if your fan has a light, you will more then likely have to run another (different color) wire for the light on fan to wall box. need fish tape

·
Premium Member
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yimmy - I'm pretty confident that the reds are hot, and the gray is neutral. Also, your comment on the switch legs is pretty consistent with my internet research so far.

Originally I thought I could just peel off a hot and neutral and then go back to drinking beer. Sadly - I ended up drinking beer without a working fan.

edit: Jim - the fan light is wired within the fan already - and was working in my old place with just two wires. Fingers crossed that is the case here as well.

Steve - keep your phone handy. I might have a job for you that will put a gallon or two of premium in that 911 of yours.

:D

·
Tgf Og
8,472 Posts
Yimmy - I'm pretty confident that the reds are hot, and the gray is neutral. Also, your comment on the switch legs is pretty consistent with my internet research so far.

Originally I thought I could just peel off a hot and neutral and then go back to drinking beer. Sadly - I ended up drinking beer without a working fan.

Steve - keep your phone handy. I might have a job for you that will put a gallon or two of premium in that 911 of yours.

:D
well then at least i know what im talking about LOL:lmao:

·
Tgf Og
8,472 Posts
i didnt read that part, yes wire nut all the (greys to grey) / (reds to red) together you will be fine. then sort out your switch legs and which one needs to go to fan, like i said if you have a light on fan, run another wire and get the right switch (stack switch (fan/light control one switch) as im sure its only a 2 gang box in your wall

·
Banned
8,661 Posts
two ways, get a lightbulb with two loose wires and touch the wires and that will be a ruff idea. Otherwise get a multimeter.

Most ceilingfans have a set of wires running the light, and another set of 2 wires running the fan. So people can control 2 different things.

2nd thing. The bunch of wires is a possible connection point to run to another part of the house. outlets?

·
Sarcasm in every post.
4,496 Posts
Udog, are you using a wireless remote to activate the fan and light? If so all you need is a hot and a ground, the wireless receiver takes care of sending current to the light or fan or both.

Note: those wireless remotes are prone to voltage spikes. I've had to replace a few due to power outages.

I think I may have fryed one this morning due to a bulb shorting.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I am sure there are tons of non union electricians on the board that can help you out.
Actually, I'm union.

Anyway. Reds are the hot legs. Grays are the Neutral (if built since 1985, gray and white are ALWAYS neutrals). Orange and Yellow are switch legs. They probably run to a switch box on the wall.

Further, my guess is that if you opwn up the switch box you will find that the Orange and Yellow are not connected to anything in there, allowing you to install a switch using one of these wires to control the fan. If your fan has a light, your can use the other wire and a dual-control (fan-light) switch to control both the fan and the light from the wall.

·
Premium Member
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome. Thanks all!

Scout - yeah it has a remote that handles everything, and will likely be the preferred system going forward as we don't have to get out of bed to operate things.

Beac - built in '03 and all your points appear to be true. Still haven't had a chance to test since it's too dark by the time I get home. Hoping to have things working by Saturday morning. Going to try to wire the fan into the hot and neutral bundles and see what happens.

:cheers

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
Actually, I'm union.

Anyway. Reds are the hot legs. Grays are the Neutral (if built since 1985, gray and white are ALWAYS neutrals). Orange and Yellow are switch legs. They probably run to a switch box on the wall.

Further, my guess is that if you opwn up the switch box you will find that the Orange and Yellow are not connected to anything in there, allowing you to install a switch using one of these wires to control the fan. If your fan has a light, your can use the other wire and a dual-control (fan-light) switch to control both the fan and the light from the wall.
The smart ass remark was geared towards the discussions on here and the WERA board about anti union people. I am union also. Have been for 20 years.

·
Sarcasm in every post.
4,496 Posts
Scout - yeah it has a remote that handles everything, and will likely be the preferred system going forward as we don't have to get out of bed to operate things.
In that case, you should only need one hot wire and one neutral wire from the box.

There should be 2 wires going into the receiver (1 hot, 1 neutral), and 3 wires exiting (1 hot - light, 1 hot - fan, and 1 neutral). Goodluck stuffing all those wires in the bell hanger. Also be sure to route the antenna for better reception.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.