Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Moderator,
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front cowel decals began to peel off and I want to completely remove them. I have about 1/10th off it off and at this rate it will take me years to finish. Does anybody have any tricks to getting the factory decals off? Besides crashing.:twofinger

ps. I'm currently using that citrus GOO GONE stuff that Ken washes his socks with.

Also, where should I look to get the decals replaced. Will any Suzuki dealer be able to order these (it's a 97) or should i look somewhere else. I'm thinking of replacing the GSX-R sticker on the side too. I dont really like the yellow. Im thinking silver or chrome. My "750" decal is falling off too, and god only knows how much HP I am going to lose if that sticker falls off!!!! HELP!!!!:laughing

·
Wannabe racer
2,360 Posts
Patience is the key, if you are carefull you can use a sharp flat knife and slowly peel at the edge while pulling evenly at the other end. Good gone works to get the remaining residue but doesn't do much for the stickers themselves.

Also once you have them off, leave them off the bike will look cleaner. "Here's $.10 my $.02 are free" :D

·
3,613 Posts
Michael said:
try a hair dryer or heat gun
Just wanted to mention, if you use a heat gun, be real careful about how hot you get it. You can heat up the paint and then you probably won't be very happy.

·
Premium Member
9,252 Posts
Just make sure that if you do replace them (for the extra revs of course) that you put em on extra tight. Don't want those falling off on those 60mph LSD wheelies!

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
If ya let the bike sit in the sun. Esp on one of these warm days, the stickers should peel up relatively easy. In lue of that, the heat gun/hair dryer does a fine job. Use the Goo b Gone or some other solvent to remove any left over glue residue. Good Luck.

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
coat well in goo gone, especially around edges. Go have lunch. Come back and peel away. Its alot easier if you let it sit for a while with the goo gone on it. Heat guns get very very hot, hair dryer is safer if you want to go that route.

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
John uses a heat gun... and gasoline. Not at the same time, obviously!!! :laughing

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
KBOlsen said:
John uses a heat gun... and gasoline. Not at the same time, obviously!!! :laughing
:D :laughing In my best Beavis voice..."fire!!!fire!!!!...yeah kool..."

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
LOL!! I think gasoline and Brake-Kleen are his favorite all-purpose solvents. (I stand waaaaaaay back when he lights the burn pile in the yard):evil

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
KBOlsen said:
LOL!! I think gasoline and Brake-Kleen are his favorite all-purpose solvents. (I stand waaaaaaay back when he lights the burn pile in the yard):evil
psssssst, not that I would know.:rolleyes ...but paint thinner is increadible.:D :D :D

·
Moderator,
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
KBOlsen said:
John uses a heat gun... and gasoline.
SWEET THAT WORKED!!!! It took the whole front fairing off in a blaze of glory. HAHAAHAH! :laughing

Actually I've been using a hairdryer and the decals come off fine, but it's the glue residue thats taking forever to come off. I was hoping for some magical way for them to both come off at once I guess.

Thanks everyone for the advice!!! I will probably just leave the front end decals off, Dave. :thumbsup

And Underdog, I don't know anything about 60mph LSD wheeliez, that sounds illegal and reckless. ;)

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
MoTo178 said:
I was hoping for some magical way for them to both come off at once I guess.
soak in goo gone for 20-30 minutes. peel away easily. man, did you read my first post!?!?! hahaha!!

·
Premium Member
9,252 Posts
Oh yeah... I wasn't implying that you would ever (or let's be honest, COULD ever) do such a thing:laughing. I just remember reading the warning label on a sticker once upon a time that said LSD wheelies would void the warranty. Consider it a public service announcement.

(that wouldn't be why your stickers started fallin off in the first place would it??)

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
if all else fails, just get your girlfriend to do it. withhold sex till they do whatever you say. works for me.

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
if all else fails, just get your girlfriend to do it. withhold sex till they do whatever you say. works for me.
In your DREAMS!!!!:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

·
M109R
562 Posts
If all else fails go to home depot and by the orange citrus cleaner, that stuff will clean just about anything and does wonders on rims, and dripped chain oil etc etc

1 - 20 of 25 Posts