Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - since the other thread is turning into a discussion about PBR - which every already knows is brewed by God himself... I want to start a new thread devoted to first time ownership:

Took me 4 years to figure out how to change the oil on my road bikes. I can only imagine how hard it is to mix gas (or whatever).

So share.

Pre-ride checks? Post-ride? Fluid choices? Maint schedule? Winterizing?

Etc.

Thanks in advance (and yes, I plan to get my hands on an owners manual - but a little practical advice never hurt anyone)

:cheers

·
Gas mixing is simple. Get a "Ratio-Rite" cup. Foolproof as can be. I only mix a gallon or two at a time, so it doesn't sit too long.

Change the oil is simple, air filter is a pain, it has to be cleaned and oiled frequently. I try to do both every two rides, as long as it's not too dusty out.

I don't really have any pre ride checks, just make sure the brakes and shit work. Clean the bike after each ride to expose any problems. Any bolt that comes out goes back in with blue loctite.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Dont buy a ratio cup, I got 3 of them, you can have one. buy yourself a 5 gallon gas can and your good to go.

·
4,985 Posts
Pre ride: Check oil, check tire pressure, make sure nothing is falling off and it has gas in it.

Post ride: Wash bike, clean and lube chain.

Maintainence: Clean, lube and adjust chain after every ride. Clean air filter as needed (usually every 1-2 rides depending on how dusty it is). Change oil every 2-3 rides. Give the bike a quick lookover between every ride, look at brake pad condition (I've killed a set of rear brake pads in one ride when it's real sloppy), look for loose bolts, chain condition, etc. Topend (piston, rings, wristpin bearing) should be done once a season depending how much you ride. You'll probably kill 1-2 chains per season depending on how much slop you ride in.

Winterizing: Install ice tires, ride on the frozen lakes of WI every weekend. Or... Drain fuel from tank AND carburetor, make sure bike is clean and oil is changed, put it up on a stand and you're good to go. You should be running anti freeze in the radiator year round for the corrosion protection anyways.

Fluid choices: Premix oil I like Motorex or Amsoil Dominator but any good full synthetic is ok, get a Ratio Rite cup because it will make your life easier. For transmission oil I use Shell Rotella 15w40 because it works and it's cheap. In the radiator, any quality green antifreeze will do.

·
Human lawn dart
5,745 Posts
Pre ride check: does it run? Yes, go ride. No, fix problem.

Post ride check: Does it still run? Yes, put away till next ride. No, fix problem

Reactions: Underdog
1 - 6 of 6 Posts