Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Your Cigar Aficionado
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after Ponch put his Dillon 550B up for sale a few weeks back, I've finally dived into the world of reloading. After several weeks of gathering components, setting up my workspace to my liking, and hours of research, I finally pressed my first rounds of .45ACP last night.

I must say that I'm quite pleased with the 550B. I like how sturdy it is & its ease of use.

At this point, I'm in what I'd like to think of as a discovery phase. I have 3 different types of bullets & 2 different powders. I'm going to mix & match, loading sets of 10 at different load weights, then test them out in the TRP to get a better idea of what the TRP likes. Once I have settled on a recipe, then I'll start cranking out .45ACP en masse.

Took me damn long enough to finally try out reloading... been shooting enough after all.

· Your Cigar Aficionado
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's all about YouTube. Set aside a couple of hours & spend some time watching. That, plus I joined a couple of other forums which have great "beginner" resources. It's a huge initial learning curve, but once you get it, it clicks.

· Registered
160 Posts
I've been trying to YouTube but for me seeing is 100% better than seeing anything on the web. I'm more of a hands on person, do it once and will never forget. That's what I'm waiting for. I just don't want to take a chance trying something off the web when it comes to that.

· Your Cigar Aficionado
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fucking jealous of all that extra space everybody has. I want to reload so bad but I have almost no spare room for it.
I've seen some very interesting single-press, portable workbench type setups for folks like you.

You won't be churning out hundreds of 9mm an hour, but if you're also interested in precision match rounds, reloading is still viable for you.

· I miss mopar
8,177 Posts
Fucking jealous of all that extra space everybody has. I want to reload so bad but I have almost no spare room for it.
You dont need much space. Just a work bench (doesn't have to be dedicated to reloading) and some storage.

When I move into my house next week ill be able to setup a dedicated bench in my basement. I can wait.

· Registered
1,554 Posts
I've seen some very interesting single-press, portable workbench type setups for folks like you.

You won't be churning out hundreds of 9mm an hour, but if you're also interested in precision match rounds, reloading is still viable for you.
Yeah, I definitely think I could fit a lee turret in the corner of my room, its all the extra stuff I'm wondering about. How loud are tumblers? Won't they vibrate the shit out of the floor and kiss off the neighbors? And theyre messy as shit when you open them, right?. And doesnt trimming cases cause a mess too?

· The Halo hides my Horns
12,629 Posts
I know this will be asked million times already but I am now debating if I get one set up too or continue buying ammo.

Anyway, that's a nice set up man. Me envy.
The initial expense hurts, but you'll make that back quickly considering how expensive ammo has gotten. After that, you can choose to shoot the same amount inexpensively, or shoot twice as much for the same cost!

Yeah, I definitely think I could fit a lee turret in the corner of my room, its all the extra stuff I'm wondering about. How loud are tumblers? Won't they vibrate the shit out of the floor and kiss off the neighbors? And theyre messy as shit when you open them, right?. And doesnt trimming cases cause a mess too?
Tumblers have rubber feet so they don't transfer vibrations much. 95% of the noise they make is the brass rattling inside, not the tumbler itself. And you can always put it in a padded box or the like. I could show you some baffle boxes I've built over the years since I used to do all my reloading in a one bedroom apartment. With my two tumblers in a box, none of the dust got out, and the noise was negligible, especially considering the tumblers were 6' from the bed. They can be dusty when you open them though, so opening them ouside, or in the tub helps. So does adding a dryer sheet or paper towels (captures the dust) to the media.

I could have my complete reloading setup; two presses, two tumblers, media separator, scales, dies, and all the supporting tools and components on a 3' X 3' X 3' desk with a 3' (Walmart) shelving unit on the wall behind the desk.

· I miss mopar
8,177 Posts
Tumblers aren't very loud. if you are in an apartment with thin walls, there is a chance they can here.

It's not messy at all. when trimming cases you get some metal flakes, but just suck that up with a vacuum. i spill a bullets worth of power here an there and that sucks since you aren't supposed to vacuum that up. Just be careful though and you are fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.