Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

does anyone do electrical work? (i need a job done)

1K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Y2KR1 
#1 ·
I need a line put in out side for a air condition unit. I am assuming it needs to be 220.

So tap into the fuse, box, new breaker, tubing, wire, outside water proof box, etc...

anyone do that shit?

i don't know exactly and would rather not electrocute my wheelie hand

#3 ·
I know how to do most of this but don't have the appropriate tools. It's MUCH easier when the house is framed.

You will need 220 for sure. You need to make sure you have enough space for a 220 breaker in your box and enough service for the load. Hopefully they planned that in, but since you didn't get air installed, you never know. You should find out if you have 200 or 300 amp service.

#4 ·
well there PLENTY of spaces left for more breakers.

theres already a 220 line in already for the double oven.

i think it might be 200 amp service?
(dont know for sure cause i dont know this stuff) BUT the REALLY big main breaker says 200 on it. do i need more amp service?
is it just changing out that MAIN breaker for more amp service?

ill take a pic of it

#8 ·
Most new homes have 100 amp sevice standard unless your house is huge of course then 200 amp either way with slots in the box you have plenty power to handle it. I've never done it by myself, but I've helped people. It doesn't seem real difficult to do. Just go to Home Depot. Tell them what you're doing and they'll set you up with the proper circuits and wires. Then just drill the whole in the wall send the tubing through, pull the wires, hook it up to the new ciruits, and seal around the whole you drilled. :cheers :cheers

Don't forget about this last part.:cheers :cheers

#10 ·
Me and a buddy ran a 220 line out to his hottub in his backyard. It was really quite simple. Well we also upgraded his fuse box to circuit breakers too hehe. Took us a total of 3 hours from start to finish and a few smoke breaks/beers inbetween. Home Depot or any local electrical supply house will be able to set you up with the equipment you need and most likely they have How-To books for sale. I sure as hell would never pay anybody to do my electrical work when I could just as easily do it myself. An electrician would have charged at least $800 for the work me and my buddy did in 3 hours time. And it wasn't even that hard. If you can replace your bike's oil, you can run a new electrical line! lol :thumbsup

#12 · (Edited)
all you need is a square d qo230 breaker some #12 wire pipe connectors and some sealtite for outside and an ac disconect. heck you can even get pre made air conditioner whips, ive got them here.
it is rather easy

#16 ·
Kruz said:
Yeh... ....AC is standard on all new houses I thought...especially when there isn't a 20 ft tree for 20 miles :D
Depends on the builder. Most will let you not get it though. If you go that route it's usually cheaper and better to have it done since the builders mark it up so much and sometimes don't use the greatest units. Our builder used a decent A/C unit and I didn't feel like takin' a day off of work and paying to have it done after the fact so I just took the one the builder gave me and tacked it on to the mortgage.

#18 ·
Odysseys said:
i WASNT gonna pay 5100.00 for a 5 ton to be installed...fuck them
I don't blame you. Mine was actually standard on my home so I just took it.

#19 ·
with these suckers...everything was (SP?) alicart.

the base home was nice..dont get me wrong..but i needed alot of custom work and upgrades that i am the wife wanted...all i wanted was a 3 car garage...what she wanted was ALOT more then i wanted to afford. wacked out women i tell ya

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.