Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Special Agent Lance Boyle
6,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it lose efficiency over time? I've had the same stuff in my street bike for 1.5 years and it seems to heat up in traffic more quickly. I'm probably imagining it.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Did you add it to coolant or to water. If water, how do you keep it from freezing over winter. As far as going bad, I dont know its the first season I have run with it.

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
What you need to remember about water wetter is that although it does transfer heat more effiecently from the radiator, it also absorbs more heat from the engine, so many times it doesn't actually run cooler, but it is dispersing more heat. Also Glycol tends to have more consitent temperatures since it actually holds more heat and has slower heat transfer.

It's possible that it slowly becomes contaminated over time. Personally I ride onm and off throught the winter and I don't have a heated garage, so around early November I will be changing backl to glycol, then back again in the Spring.

·
Special Agent Lance Boyle
6,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I run it so I don't need to switch for track days, H2O only.

I put it in the basement so it doesn't freeze

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have a heated garage so I don't worry about it freezing - I add it to water.

·
Slow Poke
1,297 Posts
The active ingredient is basically soap, it breaks the surface tension. The heat transfer characteristics shouldn't really break down. The other additives will break down from chemical contaminates due to combustion. 1.5 years is longer than I would recommend. The use of distilled h2o will also help prevent some corrsion.

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Now that Loudes mentioned it:

IF it's heaeting up faster it could be from corrosion, that's the biggest rpoblem wiht not changing the coolant.

I would use a aluminum engine safe coolant flush when you change it to help clean off soem of the deposits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts