Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this client that just got DSL with this silver modem not the old black one. Client wants to use wireless so I picked up a Linksys wireless router.

If anyone else has this same setup help me out.

I configured it use PPPoE with the correct ID and password but it won't work.
I even reflashed the firmware on the Linksys box.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Do you have the model number of the modem? I have done several similar setups without problems.

Was the DSL working before installation of the new router?

·
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔn&#60
11,372 Posts
who cares what color the boxs are who is the provider? also there is a simple solution call linksys

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason that I mentioned the color is that "SBC" used to use this black model and I never had a problem. I for get the model number. Maybe 2210.

It works fine without the linksys box in place.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just checked the settings in one of the Linksys routers I have on an AT&T DSL line. What you have listed should work.

Connection Type: PPPoE
Username: [email protected] (or whatever your domain is they gave you)
Password: xxxxxxxx
Keep Alive Redial: 20 sec.

That works for me. I hope this is not a problem between Linksys and these new modems... that would be a PITA. I've got a few DSL / Linksys installs to do for clients in the next few weeks.

·
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔn&#60
11,372 Posts
There is a setting that you need to have that keeps the connection alive you must set.

Do you get a connection? does it drop after so many minutes? linksys web page will give you the info you need as far as setting it up. when i have sbc with linksys i had the same issue tho i cant rember what was changed. need to know more detail on what it is or isnt doing

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do have the keep alive set. When I go to the status page it never connects and eventually states that it could not get an IP address.

·
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔn&#60
11,372 Posts
what about in the network connections do you have a ip address typed in try taking that off and let windows manage it. cmd ipconfig, /release,ipconfig /renew.

It appears theres a setting blocking it. did you clone the mac adress?

if you dont have a ip adress in the network connection on the connection add one to it tho i cant remeber what sbc uses as a dns

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what about in the network connections do you have a ip address typed in try taking that off and let windows manage it. cmd ipconfig, /release,ipconfig /renew.

It appears theres a setting blocking it. did you clone the mac adress?

I tried the clone thing. The PC has no problem getting an IP from the Linksys box. It's that the linksys box will not connect to SBC through PPPoE. I've setup plenty of these and just don't get why this is not working.

·
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin
8,791 Posts
I think SBC changed because I have their wireless at home and had to get their 2wire set up. It is all one piece.

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
what is it set to now? I think 1492 is the ideal setting for dsl, that being said I think 1500 is acceptable generally for either cable or dsl. I have sbc dsl and my router defaulted to 1400 where I've left it.

·
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔn&#60
11,372 Posts
yeah 1492 1500 is cable

Not sure but do you have to register the mac address with sbc. I know comcast you need to register the mac addresses

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
Call me old fashioned, but I would leave the router SBC gave you and plug it into a hub and then make the wireless' wan port on that same hub (and on the same subnet as the LAN side of the DSL modem)... then have everything behind the Wifi, setting the wireless's default route to be the lan side of the SBC router's IP :>

1 - 20 of 27 Posts