Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bike I swear on everything cannot deal with Chicago weather. When it is below 55 or so it takes 5 minutes to start. It doesn't barely warm up. Runs like crap. Today I shifted and grinded a gear for a split second. Hope I didn't hurt anything. First time all season. This is my first season.

I absolutely love my bike more than any other bike I rode it brings a HUGE smile to my face... When it's nice outside.

Just to put things into prespective. My Vino 125 never cared about temp. My Ninja 250 R never cared I could have used that Ninja for an every day commuter and trusted it to start every time. Jap bikes are just so damn trusty.

·
Go big or go home!!
1,002 Posts
That's the Ducati character you need to embrace to truly love the bike. lol.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think it could be a fueling issue? Like it's too rich and not wanting to start? If I ride it when it's warm just a half a second and it goes. If it's cold and I start it ride it around and get back on it starts easy. It's when it sits in the garage for a few days. Maybe the stupid security system sucks the battery that came with the bike. You say you had a 696 and it was always good... hurmm

·
Registered
778 Posts
Jap crap > all

My fuel injected SV will start in the teens without hesitation, and its worth about 1/4 of your Duc on a good day

I was actually considering picking up a Duc last winter, but like you said, Jap bikes are just too dang reliable

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jap crap > all

My fuel injected SV will start in the teens without hesitation, and its worth about 1/4 of your Duc on a good day

I was actually considering picking up a Duc last winter, but like you said, Jap bikes are just too dang reliable
One day last year it was like 55 in the winter so I took my Ninja.

Got out the gym after work 18 fricken degrees. The bike started with a lil hesitation, warmed up in a few minutes and I rode home.

I'm not saying I would go back to buy a Jap bike because I wouldn't. My Duck is too good when it's nice outside. The torque is just wonderful. Jap bikes are better 100% if you need to ride around even if it's bad outside.

Was inspecting a friends deck that I fixed this weekend. Took my bike over some wet leaves. BARELY any throttle and the back wheel snapped out about 6 good inches. My ninja would never behave like that. LOL

This bike is a Monster that you hate to love. It's like a fucking woman. When you got it got going on your so happy and when it doesn't want to start you just want to hold a pillow over it and beat it. :lmao:

·
Fast Old Fart on a Bike
1,069 Posts
Do you think it could be a fueling issue? Like it's too rich and not wanting to start? If I ride it when it's warm just a half a second and it goes. If it's cold and I start it ride it around and get back on it starts easy. It's when it sits in the garage for a few days. Maybe the stupid security system sucks the battery that came with the bike. You say you had a 696 and it was always good... hurmm
I had cold starting issues with my S4, took it into MotoRider, they synched the throttle bodies, not it starts like a champ.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If it's raining and below 50*, mine won't even get warm enough to register a temp on the gauge. It's just Ducatis. Try looking into pipes and aftermarket ECUs. They seem to make a big difference for a lot of people. Of course, if you want to ride in anything but nice weather, you can always go back to Japan. I have.

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
Jap crap > all

Park an sv next to any Ducati and see what happens. Trust me I have owned 6 sv 's. that's like saying yeah ur ferrari is not as good as my jap crap Honda civic. :lmao:

·
Premium Member
16,341 Posts
I'll trade you my SV straight up for it of you want.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Park an sv next to any Ducati and see what happens. Trust me I have owned 6 sv 's. that's like saying yeah ur ferrari is not as good as my jap crap Honda civic. :lmao:
I'm just saying my jap crap honda civic will start up and run in the teens and 20's with no probs compared to your ferrari

I'd go with any of the jap bikes, then Triumph, then BMW, before ducati

The fit and finish isn't even as well as I expected after looking at SopFu's 1098 for example

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it's raining and below 50*, mine won't even get warm enough to register a temp on the gauge. It's just Ducatis. Try looking into pipes and aftermarket ECUs. They seem to make a big difference for a lot of people. Of course, if you want to ride in anything but nice weather, you can always go back to Japan. I have.
See I was told that the the fueling was trash from the factory setting and the Race ECU was really the way the bike was "MENT" to be. I think the bike runs perfectly fine when it's a nice day outside. I was also thinking about hooking it up to the battery tender. I only have 2 more days to ride it till I call my insurance company and tell them I only want comprehensive. I think that's what it is... just to protect from fire, theft, and vandalism. Last weekend the weather was so good. it was like 70. I don't see many days like that in the future so I think today may have been my last day till April or May. This new house will consume my life for this cold season.

I'm kind of sad I'm not going to lie. I already miss my bike. Normally I miss riding when it's snowing outside and deep in the winter. It's like this every year. I don't know about you guys but when I ride a bike I take in every moment. You might think this is crazy but The other day I was watching leaves fall in front of the bike, how pretty the trees where. The way my bike burbles and snarls and pops sometimes on decel. The heat coming through the trellis frame warming up my legs. How the front wants to power up just with a quick little flick of the throttle. It's going to REALLY suck bad. Perhaps I'm a weirdo. I don't care one way or another, I love riding and for me not to ride makes me want to go out and buy a pack of cigarettes and take up smoking again.

In a perfect world I'd own a Can-Am spider too. I bet that thing is incredibly fun to ride to work on cold days, and when the weather isn't at it's peak. I've never ridden one, but I'd bet it would be a hoot.

For my 30th birthday if some how I can manage to afford the Termi kit I'd absolutely love to have it. The house is already going to kill my funds. In any situation sometimes you have to say "What have I done for me lately?" that's what I ask myself. Always helping friends, family, and work.

·
Chief Apex Inspector
10,427 Posts
Your bike is broken or mis-adjusted - have a TB sync and tune up done by someone who knows how.

I have owned a 1/2 dozen Ducati's and they have better FI response than anything in the market by a large margin.

Tom

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.