Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
"PC" ,my balls
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone buy a bike off e-bay? I browse through there just to see what's there. There's a 98 GSXR 600 selling at 1:00pm tomorrow and the bid is only at $1925.00 The catch is no title only a bill of sale. OK for a track bike I suppose or you could pick up a clean frame. I guess I'm just wondering how easy it would be to sell a stolen bike. They claim it was bought at a police auction as is. Of course, there are 25 bids so far. Probably be a last minute fight.

·
(no comment)
353 Posts
Sounds like BS. I don't think the police could sell a vehicle without a title. They would have had to apply for a lost title or used some other venue to obtain it so they could legally sell it.

·
"PC" ,my balls
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I meant to give the auction #. I'm not in the market for a track bike yet but if anyone is. e-bay auction #1871746692.

Sorry, I don't know how to do a link.

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
We don't know the laws in Texas - it could very well have been purchased at an auction. Here's the problem: The bike cannot be titled and will therefore never be street-legal. It could only be used for a parts bike or as a track bike. HOWEVER... (and I've never heard of this happening at a track day)

When John was on the pro-Harley drag racing circuit, they were at a race in Texas. The police showed up, seized and impounded all the vehicles for which proof of ownership could not be established (pit bikes all the way to hand-built race machines).

Long shot? Yes. Worth the risk? Only you can make that determination.

·
"PC" ,my balls
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read of the same thing happening at a roadrace or trackday. Can't remember which but I think it was in Texas. They checked VIN's and engine numbers. If anything was wrong they impounded the bike. How many racers have changed motors? But if you were interested in the e-bay bike frames with titles aren't hard to come by. If I was ready for another bike I think I'd take the chance. The seller takes the risk of shipping and such. I don't think I'd leave that sanded down frame in my garage for long though.

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
not having a title does not mean its stolen. my gsxr has never been titled. i do have a proof of origin but no title. this bike could have been titled and bought from a bone yard and pieced together. call the guy and ask for the vin, if he doesnt have a vin then id stay clear of it

·
CLSB RESIDENT *******!!!!
1,331 Posts
Ok so lets say I buy a Front fairing for my F4i, and it turns out to be completely HOT. Can I get into trouble for having it on my bike or is there no way to trace individual parts?

Mark:p

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
You'll never know if it's hot or not. Unless the guy melted a VIN or other identifying mark (his initials or whatever) into it, plastics are plastics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts