Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again, you have a chance to make your opinions count.

In Illinois, Early voting is open. Between now and November 3rd, you can cast your ballots in the coming election. Some locations are even open on Saturdays.

No matter what you believe in, it's time to put those beliefs into action. No matter how flawed our government is, it still has tremendous effects on each of our lives. Don't leave the decisions on what kind of country we live in up to others. The Congressional races in Illinois are some of the most competitive in years, and Congress controls the direction of the country more than the President does.

So go and Vote. If you haven't registered, you can still register and vote. Check your local Board of Elections for the details of early voting or grace period registrations.

There are no good excuses for not voting.

· Pierced & tattooed freak!
3,044 Posts

· Registered
5,605 Posts
Your vote doesn't matter.

People in this country elected a *retarded* candidate for US Senate only because his name was the first on the list. Look up Alvin Greene.

3,044 Posts
In Illinois, Republican votes DONT matter.:lmao:
+1 This. 101 red counties + 1 blue county = 1 blue state, thanks to Crook County. :)

So you guys are willing to let others make the choices for you? Wimps.
Choice is already made ... we're a very very very Blue state, with or without my vote.

· Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you don't care who your representative in Congress is? [Several local races are too close to call] You don't care about local elected offices and County Judges who might someday decide your fate? You don't care about amending the Illinois Constitution?

The election is about more than the President.

· Sarcasm in every post.
4,496 Posts
Is there a site that has all the races, runners, and platform info already gathered?

Obviously the presidential race is well publicized, but how about info on all the other regional events?

· Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Your county (or Chicago) election board has sample ballots.

IVI-IPO has some info, and their endoresments

Other organizations (partisan and non-partisan) have web sites you can research.

No one except the special interest groups will spoon feed you (and then only what they want you to believe). So start with the sample ballots, then research from there. There's enough info on-line so that you can have a clear understanding of the issues and people on the ballot.

For someone who wants to, you can probably have a good understanding of most things in an hour of time on-line.

· Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
For instance, an amendment to the Illinois Constitution is proposed that will change how Chicago Teacher pensions are funded, and (as I understand it) transfer more of that burden to the Illinois taxpayers as a whole, and relieve some of that responsibility from Chicago taxpayers, who are now required to fund a greater share of those pensions than residents of any other school district in the state.. If passed, it will treat the Chicago school pensions like any other school board's pensions in the state.

Like all issues, it's more complicated than the two sentence summary on the ballot, and there are ramifications and consequences to be considered.

· Registered
838 Posts
For instance, an amendment to the Illinois Constitution is proposed that will change how Chicago Teacher pensions are funded, and (as I understand it) transfer more of that burden to the Illinois taxpayers as a whole, and remove that responsibility from Chicago taxpayers. It will treat the Chicago school pensions like any other school board pensions in the state.
http://illinoispolicy.org/blog/blog.asp?ArticleSource=5120

if this is what you're talking about, then vote no.

· Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
http://illinoispolicy.org/blog/blog.asp?ArticleSource=5120

if this is what you're talking about, then vote no.
Yep, that's it. But there are always multiple views of an issue. If you'd like to debate the pros and cons of this measure, please start a new thread.

I'm not so concerned with how someone votes. I'm more concerned that people take a hand in their government by actually understanding the issues and taking the responsibility to vote.

When people stay home, they let others who may or may not represent their values, choices and wishes make the decisions for them.

· Registered
838 Posts
Yep, that's it. But there are always multiple views of an issue. If you'd like to debate the pros and cons of this measure, please start a new thread.

I'm not so concerned with how someone votes. I'm more concerned that people take a hand in their government by actually understanding the issues and taking the responsibility to vote.

When people stay home, they let others who may or may not represent their values, choices and wishes make the decisions for them.
You opened this can of worms so I'm not opening up a new thread. I would vote no on just anything that Rahm or Quinn or Madigan propose.

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Is there a site that has all the races, runners, and platform info already gathered?

Obviously the presidential race is well publicized, but how about info on all the other regional events?
vote-il.org

enter your address and zip and it gives you a sample ballot

Reactions: scout67

3,044 Posts
The teacher pension issue pisses me off.

It used to be that companies would provide a pension for their employees so they can retire comfortably when the time comes.

Then the companies got cheap and took your pension away, and told you to put your own money into a 401k instead. And they offered a company match which is a sliver of what the money was like that they had put in for your pension.

Then the companies got even cheaper and took away that company match, leaving you to fend for yourself in your retirement years.

And in the meantime you have no savings because you're burying all your money into a 401k and living check-to-check because you don't make enough to cover your own ass for retirement and pay your current bills.

Sorry teachers, but fudge ya. I can't afford to pay for my own retirement PLUS yours.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.