Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok getting the bike ready for Putnam. I have distilled water and water wetter in there right now. But that will freeze. Its in my garage so its not a problem at the moment. I am concerned when we get it dopn to Putnam. Overnight temps prob not going to be that warm. Do I need to be concerned? Or is there an antifreeze that can be used at the track?

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Champ91 said:
Ok getting the bike ready for Putnam. I have distilled water and water wetter in there right now. But that will freeze. Its in my garage so its not a problem at the moment. I am concerned when we get it dopn to Putnam. Overnight temps prob not going to be that warm. Do I need to be concerned? Or is there an antifreeze that can be used at the track?
Better sit on the bike and blow. All that hot air should keep you safe.:laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing

J/K is it too much of a hassle to change it and then change it back when you get there??? Otherwise I would wrap some blankets around it at least in transit.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Drain system dry Drain system dry now.... fillup when you get to Putnam. (BE SURE TO TAPE OVER THE IGNITION WITH "NO FLUIDS" so ya don't go starting it without coolant).

I won't leave my bike dry for a long period of time as it may damage an rubber seals and allow the alum. inside to corrode but for a couple of days that shouldn't be an issue and you won't have to worry about your cases cracking while your sleeping in your hotel room!

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
Pete,

Have you put something up on the NESBA board? Somebody there should have some ideas. I currently have antifreeze in the SV, but next season I'm switching to water wetter since I'll be doing a lot more track sessions.

:eek:t I need to change the coolant in the SV this winter. What to use?

Chris

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: Engine Coolant What to do???

Crazy said:
Better sit on the bike and blow. All that hot air should keep you safe.:laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing
So your volunteering to ride outto Putnam and do that for me. We all know you'd be much more efficient at that than me.:jester :rofl

Yeah chris I'll go post something on the NESBA board.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
i am thinking blankets and keep wind chill factor off of it..would help it for sure...like inside a trialer..or wrap some blankets around the block.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it will be in Jim's trailer

Maybe I'm just worried about nothing. But just hate to loose the day cause something stupid like this.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
i hear that pete...you know what i would do for some security in knowing..put a half glass of water in the trailer too...and if it starts to freeze then not to long after will the water in your engine..but i think it has to get down to 25 degress outside your garage for water to freeze in a unheated garage.

I THINK?

i think you will be fine for your track day bro

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
I have water wetter in mine too and not that worried with an enclosed trailer. Anyone have a heatgun or hairdryer just in case?

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Kruz said:
I have water wetter in mine too and not that worried with an enclosed trailer. Anyone have a heatgun or hairdryer just in case?
Sure I'll bring the welder for when you crack your block with it too LOL:D

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
So what are you saying in your expert former drag-racing expert opinion? :D I thought replies were supposed to be helpful whipping boy :D

But seriously,
Should we drain and replace with antifreeze or just let it be. The hairdryer/heatgun would only be used sparingly.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Kruz said:
So what are you saying in your expert former drag-racing expert opinion? :D I thought replies were supposed to be helpful whipping boy :D

But seriously,
Should we drain and replace with antifreeze or just let it be. The hairdryer/heatgun would only be used sparingly.
I think it is a pretty helpful tip to tell people not to defrost there engine block with a heat gun or hairdryer cause it might crack!!!! I also gave my opinios about a blanket and changing it at the track.:p :p :D :D I thought you were going to cut back board time.:twofinger :twofinger

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
hahahahahhahaaha. You crack me up John. I think unless it gets really cold you guys would be ok in an enclosed trailer, but I would wrap blankets around it just in case. If you're really finicky take Marks advice and drain it before you leave and fill it at the track.:D

·
Give 'em hell guys!!
184 Posts
I strongly recommend to drain the water out and just fill it on the morning of the trackday. I have seen many bikes break a water pump or pop the freeze plugs in the head because water was left in the motor. It didn't matter if it was in a trailer or not. For the little extra effort to drain the water before you leave can pay big time when you don't have to do motor repairs or miss a trackday from poor preparation. If you are using an open trailer or if the bike is in the back of a pickup, it is even more important as the wind chill effect can cause the water to freeze faster.
Just curious, besides the first time class, does Nesba allow antifreeze on the track?

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
I checked the NESBA rules, only Advanced riders need Water/Water Wetter. Everyone else can run glycol.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Problem solved...put in glycol for the weekend:D :cheers

·
Slow Poke
1,297 Posts
Ya, and mess up the track for everyone. It's not going to be that cold. Just run the engine right before you pack up the bike for the night. Putting a blanket over a cold engine will do nothing, there no heat to hold in. Putting a blanket on a hot engine isn't good either. If temps are close to freezing (-40F), take the rad cap off to allow expansion. If it really is below freezing drain the water, and fill in the morning. H2O has it's highest specific gravity at 33F. You don't have to drain the whole thing just some. Some of you could use 5-10% dexacool just in case (just say the red color is from water wetter if tech checks). That would allow some protection, and a very limited slippery factor.

·
Give 'em hell guys!!
184 Posts
Do everybody else a favor and take the antifreeze out of your track bike, even if nesba allows it. All it takes is one crash with antifreeze left on the track to ruin it for everbody else.
]

·
Man with Big Hose
1,432 Posts
Champ....weather.com says low each day this weekend for Indy is 43 degrees. You should have no worries about it freezing at all!!!! Unless you have some special water that freezes above 32 degrees:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts