Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Man with Big Hose
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep...that's right pack those bearings on your trailer!!!! Found out the hard way what happens to metal on metal at 80mph with no lubrication.....exploding wheell bearings:(

Just got back from Gingerman and ohh what a day!!!! Let's see weather this moring a balmy 33 degress. Spent the lunch hour driving around looking for the right size bearing. Thought for awhile I was going to have to abandon the trailer in MI. I welded the bearing to the axle and the old one was a bitch to get off.

Gingerman is great...hated it the first time i was there ...now I love it. Decreasing radius turns...increasing radius turns...blind corners....dips in the middle of the corner...... a very fun track in my worthless opinion.

YET another big thumbs up to Monte and the rest of the STT crew for a great day.:thumbsup

·
Lovin this Twin
1,980 Posts
Do yourself a favor and go buy some { Red Eyes }

They are idiot proof,, when theres need for grease the red eye pops out,,,,,,,,, very reliable and not pricey at all

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
That's a good reminder. I haven't greased mine since BHF in May. I've done 4 trackdays since then. Probably towed the trailer about 1200 miles.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
So nothing happened to the bike did it????

·
Man with Big Hose
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
When the bearing let loose i felt the trailer sway side to side for about a mile. Stopped...went out to find out what was going on. (11pm on the IN/MI boarder on a Sunday night). looked at the rims thinking the lug nuts came loose...nope tight. saw that the inner part of the hub was missing the cap and that there looked like there was no grease and smelled like something was burning. HMMM no grease will me....(I had minimal tools) hey wait WD-40 will hold for 60 or so miles. spray it on and poof a huge vapor cloud (like when throwing water on a hot piece of metal) With no other options I pressed on (i hoped my car or bike insurance woul;d cover me if the wheel came of at 80mph and the trailer/bike went tumbling down the freeway....hey than i can get the bike and trailer that i really want!!!!)

Anyway...did I slow down.?...nope, i fiqured 55 mph was going to cause the same damgae as 80 mph...so just might as well punch it and get my destination faster.

The next day between session, i jacked up the trailer and guess what? the rim and hub came off with no lossing of any nuts!!!! along with it was all the ball bearing piecesthat were free floating within the hub.

Why the wheel didn't come off all together in route is beyond me. Someone was looking out for me:)

anyway like i said earlier, the inner bearing ring (the part that touches the axle) was welded on due to the friction. How the hell am I going to get the new bearing on? A maul and chisel do wonders in a pinch:rolleyes

I think this experiance conviced my wife(Finally) that I need a new 6x12 enclosed trailer.

Hey anyone want a 4x8 open trailer with some MINOR repairs needed:laughing :laughing :laughing

Hey, new axle, hub, bearings are considered monor, right:D :D

it comes with a bumper warrenty...once i can't see your bumper anymore, the warrenty's over:twofinger :twofinger

·
Lovin this Twin
1,980 Posts
Are you serious about getting rid of it?

Or IF you need help cleaning up that axle let me know.....I got Machines at work that wil take that off like butter.

·
Got my new Ride......
959 Posts
OK - thanks for the tip - so how often (months/miles) are ya supposed to repack the bearings ??

Figure must have asked that questin by now :p

(I'm runnin a little 4x8 too)

·
Man with Big Hose
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My trailer is 3 years old with about 2000 miles. I noticed the cap was missing on mine. I don't know how long it's been off, but i pulled the other side cap off and it was looking pretty bad too.

My guess is a least once a year to at least check it. probably won't need to have new grease for at least probably 2.

one thing is that i ran the smaller 8 inch tires for the first 2 and half years. that adds to the wear since those smaller tires must turn faster to go the same speed. I upgraded at the beginning of summer to 12".

·
Man with Big Hose
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
notice that the wheel is crocked...this is what it drove like for 60 miles at 80mph....

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
thats nothing. Once when coming back from a trade show in Atlanta, in January. We were following one of our guys who was pulling a car trailer. The right side bearing was so bad we had flames. Fortunatley there was an abundance of snow so we were able to put out the flames. Now that was a trip.

·
M109R
562 Posts
I thought duct tape fixed it all :bs :rofl

Seriously sorry to hear that, someone must have been praying for ya and the big man upstairs kept his eye out on ya:thumbsup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts