Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Father of 3 protects family by shooting robber

4K views 142 replies 29 participants last post by  Mort82 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Ill play the part of arch.

'dats so baddddd.... what if that was a troup of drunk teen batonist that went into the wrong house because they lost their keys, and the owner thought their batons were rifles...'

jk :) :)

#3 ·
Ill play the part of arch.

'dats so baddddd.... what if that was a troup of drunk teen batonist that went into the wrong house because they lost their keys, and the owner thought their batons were rifles...'

jk :) :)

Then I'll play the part of Odysseys.

"I'm not even going to reply here, because there are no reasoning with pussys like you. "

JK Ken :twofinger

#4 ·
.wonder what would have happened if he didn't have one himself.
Mayor Daley would have you bbelieve they would would have sat down for a spot of tea and waited for the police to show up to handle the situation. :lmao:

#11 ·
Handguns are completely banned in Chicago for what...20 years? However it's one of the leading cities in shootings. This point is clear, what's not clear is why no one seems to be getting it.

#16 ·
"police said the robber's injuries were not life threatening"

...too bad

#21 ·
This was a total screw up by the home owner. The wound on one of the intruders was not life threatening. As I've always told my wife. Empty the clip, reload and look for a new target. With three guys, I might only use 1/2 a clip on the first soon to be dead intruder.

Remember, gun safety means using 2 hands.

#28 ·
Unfortunately Butterfly Knives, AKA Balisong Knives fall into the "gavity knife" catagory along with switchblade/stiletto and other spring loaded or gravity manipulated knives which are illegal to import into the US, banned (But not illegal) in most states, some states just flat out illegal. And because of blade size and the fact that gangs like to use them will typically get you in trouble with the law simple because it's a big knife used by gangs.

#30 ·
Ok Biggy.. what would you suggest then? Obviously the ban isn't working, there are shootings every week all over the city. I know about 10 people off the top of my head that have guns in their houses... some are loaded and out in the open :doh but what are the police going to do? Go into everyone's house and trash it looking for guns? They'll just go buy some others or steal someone elses. Doesn't seem like there is anything that can be done. People have to learn the hard way or if they can get out of the city if they don't like it.

#36 ·
Like Arch said, not a total ban, but not total freedom. Mandatory courses and recerts to carry concealed. No reason that you can't take an X hour class every time you renew your FOID card to be able to carry concealed. And at the same time you allow some bills to pass that don't let you buy like 10 guns at once or whatever number it was of the bill that failed. The bill wanted to limit people to buying no more than 5 per month or something like that and it failed. But we're so split on most issues that either side giving doesn't seem likely.

#31 ·
This thread has very little to do with Daley's handgun ban unfortunately. You don't need a handgun to protect your home. A shotgun will do just fine. That is an entire new can of worms. Legalizing handguns won't make anyone safer. We are talking about home protection now and not the streets.

Now if we had conceal carry to go along with those handguns, then maybe we can talk. Truth be told I was the biggest proponent for conceal carry. I wanted to carry a gun so bad I was going to move. Now that I am older and less foolish, I have nightmares about some of you clowns walking around with hand canons.

My point is how do we get the guns from those who should not have them? I propose mandatory training and proficiency exams to go around with the $5 FOID card and bogus background check. All this wishy washy 24/72 hour waiting period and limiting magazine to 10 rounds is bullshiet! But I digress.

Reactions: Underdog
#35 ·
You can carry concealed. Unloaded gun in an approved carrying case (they make specific ones for carrying like fanny packs), and loaded mags in your pocket. Perfectly legal.

#34 ·
The dim mok is my favorite move. Death in 12 seconds.

Once my fahja fought off three men with just a stick and a hand grenade. He told them to come closer so we all can meet God. Fockers backed off. True story.

#51 ·
It's not that it's legal, you simply must avoid what is illegal. That would include the transporting, the case being an approved one, etc... Now you being the more legal expert, what are the cases that have been judged like this? There was a guy out for a jog in Joliet I think who was carrying in that sense. What's the end result of these? I'm sure there's a number of people stopped this way in IL?

#53 ·
When I took a tactical pistol course, they had a lawyer come in who specializes in firearm law. He made it very clear that the way the current laws in Illinois are written "transporting a firearm, even in an approved case, even with ammunition seperate...you can *only* go from point A to point B with no stops in between. Not even to stop for milk".

So don't try the "loophole" with the fanny pack or purse designed as carrying case bullshit. If and when you ever do draw that weapon, unless you can prove you were transporting it to and from the gun range with no stops in between, you are busted.

He also punched holes in a bunch of other myths...most of which I don't remember as they were little stuff that really didn't effect me.

#54 ·
Huh? That makes no sense. You don't have to be transporting the gun to a gun range. What if I'm transporting it to the store? What if I'm transporting it to a friends house? The stopping along the way thing seems a bit out of whack and too generalized. If I'm going to a combat shoot after work you're telling me that I can't have the gun in my car while I work then head to the range after work. That just seems like BS. Not saying I know for sure, but it just seems way out there for that to be true. Rob?

#55 ·
It is silly and irresponsible to deny honest Chicagoans gun ownership and have soft on crime laws that make weapons readily available to anyone with a buck or two who's looking to get it illegally.
Require law obeying people to undergo training and mandate safe keeping practices in addition to criminal checks and even sociological fitness checks.
And have tough penalty on criminals with minimum sentences. 10 years for Illegal ownership. 20 years for even puling a gun if not in self defense. Life for non defensive weapon discharge. Even for a miss.
Minimum sentences for criminals and gun safe practices for law obeying folk.

#57 ·
I always wonder about these stories.

For every home invasion story where the homeowner saves the day, how many stories are there of the kid accidently killing his/her brother, sister, friend, etc.

Why do you need to carry a gun?
Is your life so action packed like a hollywood movie that it just requires you to carry a weapon? Are the girls impressed by the fact you own and carry a gun? Perhaps you're a young Chicago Cop that hasn't matured yet? Maybe you stand in front of the mirror at night "saying freeze mf", or maybe you're just a dirty cop.

Perhaps you're the kid in the man-capri's and your thinking hey I should get some spinners for my donk to match my gun.

New flash (generally speaking) innocent people are not deliberately shot at. If someone is shooting at you, it is probably for a reason and it is also probably someone you know, know of, met, etc.

End of rant.

#59 ·
See this is what I mean by education.

First of all it is not about why I need a gun or don't need one. It is about my right to protect myself in case shit happens. My building is covered in case an airplane hits it. Once again, in case shit happens. It has nothing to do with being tough, taking the law into your own hands, wanting to be law enforcement, or impressing chicks.

The largest benefit to conceal carry is deterrence. As the laws are written now, only the criminals can carry. Law abiding citizens are sitting ducks. When you talk about accidental shootings, it is a training issue. Current laws are retarded. $5, picture and background check is all you need to get a firearm. Limiting magazines to 10 rounds, 24/72 hour waiting periods and banning assault weapons won't make it any safer.

And it's not about being shot at. Often it's not even about protecting your belongings. It's about protecting your life and the ones you care about. Innocent women don't asked to be mugged and raped. But it happens.

#64 ·
All I am saying is I'd rather be beaten down than shot with my own gun, or someone else's because I pulled a gun on them.

No, "generally speaking" bad guys do not want to hurt or kill you or your loved ones for $$$. All they want is $$$ unless you hurt or killed one of their loved ones.

Would you put up a fight or risk your life or put your loved ones lives in jeopardy for $$$, or let say your car?

How you answer this question tells me how much value $$$ versus life.

#70 ·
Amazing. I was not aware that the bad guys valued my life so much. I can rest much easier now, and lock up my CZ75 Combat 'cause all I have to do is turn over my benjamins.

#66 ·
-and another thing about abortions and religion and politics is.... oh nevermind. This is the gun debate.

You want a gun in your house? No problem. Like plinking targets or capping Bambi? No problem, save some jerky for me. You want one when you're standing next to me in the store? Problem.

I barely trust people to operate a car reasonably well, I certainly don't trust their judgment when it comes to a "life or death situation" (much less their aim!)

Carry on then - just keep your hands where I can see em!

#74 ·
How many of you have actually had to shoot someone breaking into your house. It sounds like a case of paranoia.

You average John Doe, really has no need for a gun. I know everyone has a right to own a gun. But lets face it a good majority of gun owners have never had to shoot at anyone or kill another human being. There are a lot gun collectors and that's cool but do not tell me Naperville, Plainfield, Evanston, Northbrook, etc. are like the mean streets of Cramden NJ, Gary, IN., Detroit, MI, etc.

I'm willing to bet a large% of you have not had to shoot a real gun with live ammo at another human being.

Scenario: What if your teenage son or daughter sneeks out and sneeks back in at night to hang with their friends and you happen to hear them sneeking back ing and god help you, you mistake their movement as threatning. Pop, Pop, Pop,...Oops is forever. "Sorry honey I accidently mistook our son or daughter as burglar..."

Reactions: Arch
#78 ·
Scenario: What if your teenage son or daughter sneeks out and sneeks back in at night to hang with their friends and you happen to hear them sneeking back ing and god help you, you mistake their movement as threatning. Pop, Pop, Pop,...Oops is forever. "Sorry honey I accidently mistook our son or daughter as burglar..."
Well that would be really bad target identification and gun control wouldn't it? In that case we have good Darwinian selection. Anyone that dumb shouldn't be allowed to pass their genes on. Killing off the kids solves that problem. :2cents:

#75 ·
MysteryX1 may God bless you. May you never be put in the situation some of us have been in.

Get rid of all the knives and rope from your house. Your son/daughter may use them to commit suicide.

Reactions: Rob Esq.
#77 ·
Please tell me your dramatic life and death stories and how having a gun saved your life.

Where in the hell to you live...IRAQ?
Are walking around with a fist full of cash counting it?
What are you doing to be constantly targeted?
Are you looking at people with a frightened expression on your face?
Are you that short guy who's always picking fights with the big guy in bar?
Are you really that unlucky that violence and crime chronically follows you?

Like I said unless you are in an occupation such as military service, law enforcement, etc. where people want to fight you or have an ax to grind. I can't imagine violence and crime on your doorstep everyday.

Frankly, the thought of any paranoid person with firearms frightens me.

#95 ·
I've been mugged at gunpoint once. And I've been beaten to the curb with only homeless people left to save my life.

I'd rather be mugged at gunpoint. I ran away unharmed, with only less money and no DL (<<WTF?). When I got beat up, they didn't get anything.

Just my experiences and probably doesn't mean anything, but I feel more comfortable with someone politely pointing a handgun at my throat and requesting my money, than someone knocking me in the back of the head then 6 guys kicking me.

#99 ·
I heard mystery say this isn't Iraq, there ar multiple spots in Chicago that are worse than Iraq. Hell, did you see last Halloween, a mother was gunned down in front of her kids trick or treating. There was a soldier who I believe did 2 tours in Iraq, and was gun downed a week after he came home to Chicago. There are some real nasty people in this city, and I bet none of these crimes and murders were committed by foid card carriers :(.

#102 ·
Gun ownership = Life insurance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.