Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D
11,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about supressors the other day while learning a bit about them and realized that they were PURELY banned on the basis of fear mongering.

If anything, with how corrupt the legal system is they should be encouraged to be easily accessible.

If you kill a guy, you can be out in a few years.

BUT.
If you use a supressor in a criminal activity its an instant 30 years.

what gets you better results senor prosecutor?

rant off.

5,593 Posts
and people want gun laws to be easier so everyone can carry.OMG

·
Your Cigar Aficionado
7,065 Posts
The irony of suppressors, is that they are viewed favorably in Europe where firearms laws are far stricter. They look at the noise reduction as a courtesy to other shooters.

But this is America... and courtesy here, is also a long-forgotten notion.

·
Chief Apex Inspector
10,427 Posts
The irony of suppressors, is that they are viewed favorably in Europe where firearms laws are far stricter. They look at the noise reduction as a courtesy to other shooters.

But this is America... and courtesy here, is also a long-forgotten notion.

You give the lawmakers too much credit.

It's not that people actually thought about it and decided to be less considerate.

It's that the politicians are "doing something" about those evil "assault weapons" and banning them ....
and a suppressor makes a long-arm more "assulty - looking" so they banned them.

that way the jackass politician can stand up and say "I voted against "assault weapons" and made you
safer by removing the evil suppressors from the hands of non-military personnel...... you are safer now !".

The sad thing is that most voters are stupid enough to buy that crap.

Tom

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,629 Posts
WTF - He had hearing protection on. I don't see what the hell happened. It's not like he was firing a 50BMG in doors...

Seems more like he had a panic attack; or his pressing on the hearing protection broke the seal on his head and allowed most if not all the noise to come in. Still, it looks like he flaked. A slight taste of stress and he spiked and crashed.

·
Armed law abiding citizen
18,882 Posts
and people want gun laws to be easier so everyone can carry.OMG
That's crazy talk. The other 49 states allow it, and we are in total anarchy! Lol!

Seems more like he had a panic attack; or his pressing on the hearing protection broke the seal on his head and allowed most if not all the noise to come in. Still, it looks like he flaked. A slight taste of stress and he spiked and crashed.
I agree with the panic attack idea. Lots of us have not had hearing protection (or had it fail), while in a range. I have never felt like that in any way. Granted, they were in a smaller enclosure, but you get the idea.

·
Moderator,
22,442 Posts
I've been around weapons, (betcha I've fired larger caliber than 99% of the people on this board), but never used a suppressor. Please educate me, why does a regular Joe need one?

Reactions: Muskrat

·
Your Cigar Aficionado
7,065 Posts
I've been around weapons, (betcha I've fired larger caliber than 99% of the people on this board), but never used a suppressor. Please educate me, why does a regular Joe need one?
In Europe, where they have a more reasonable view of suppressors, the primary draw is a matter of courtesy & hearing protection. Sound suppressors don't have the same "assassin's tool" stigma there, that they do here. Rather they're viewed as what they really are... something that reduces (but never eliminates) the noise of a firearm.

·
Moderator,
22,442 Posts
So you're saying that the average gun owner would like to have a suppressor so when he/she goes to the range he/she won't have to deal with so much noise? That's the only reason?

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,629 Posts
So you're saying that the average gun owner would like to have a suppressor so when he/she goes to the range he/she won't have to deal with so much noise? That's the only reason?
I would love to have the option for a suppressor for that very reason. It's easier to teach and less stressful to the new shooter.

If we only wanted Tacticool shit, we'd only be clamoring for SBR and AOW.

Meanwhile, I want all of the above.

·
Moderator,
22,442 Posts
I would love to have the option for a suppressor for that very reason. It's easier to teach and less stressful to the new shooter.

If we only wanted Tacticool shit, we'd only be clamoring for SBR and AOW.

Meanwhile, I want all of the above.
Ok, so as a training tool a suppressor is helpful. Or you can just wear really good hearing protection. Why else would one need to own a suppressor?

I have no idea what tacticool or SBR or AOW are. 'Splain por favor.

·
Your Cigar Aficionado
7,065 Posts
Ok, so as a training tool a suppressor is helpful. Or you can just wear really good hearing protection. Why else would one need to own a suppressor?

Beyond a training tool, less noise vs bulkier hearing protection is simply a trade-off. Why not both? Living in an urban environment, don't often think of noise pollution, but shooting out in the country is a different matter entirely. While the noise isn't damage inducing to neighbors a mile away, it is still obnoxious when you're used to a quieter atmosphere, no?

Perhaps think of it more akin to an automobile muffler?

SBR = Short Barrelled Rifle

AOW = Any Other Weapon:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importation-verification/firearms-verification-nfa-aow.html

·
Moderator,
22,442 Posts
Ok, I can understand that. Being a gun owner you don't want to be a d*ck and make a bunch of noise when firing at targets so you use a suppressor. That's reasonable.

On the flip side don't some cities use gun-shot detectors to find out if a crime has taken place? I have a vague memory of a SoCal city doing this.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
WTF - He had hearing protection on. I don't see what the hell happened. It's not like he was firing a 50BMG in doors...

I think he probably did damage his hearing, and hearing plays a big part in balance which might account for the spinning. Panic probably played the biggest part though.

The going internet theory though is that it was all staged really played up for tv.

On a tangent, has anyone noticed that doomsday preppers showcases some of the most irresponsible gun owners ever though?

·
Old Squid on a Blade
9,173 Posts
Don't supperssors hurt the ballistic performance of the bullet?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

Tacticool is slang for when people put a bunch of accessories on a gun of which there usefulness is questionable, but "look cool". Tactical + Cool. Realistically it only makes for a heavier gun.

Suppressors are also beneficial in a home defense situation, if you have to fire, it won't destroy your hearing. Chris Costa, the patron saint of firearm training, recommends it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.