Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
El Burrito Volador
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

After wasting my money at Uhaul this summer, I finally broke down and bought my first trailer to haul my bike around town. I picked it up yesterday from Menards. Gotta love credit cards with no interest :) The trailer is made by Carry-On Trailer Corp. It's a 5X8 with a loading ramp. It has a 1500lbs. payload capacity, so it's pretty sturdy. I also picked up a trailer jack, spare wheel, and spare wheel holder. I'm heading to the DMV tomorrow to get her registered and plated.

The only thing I don't like is the mesh floor since I can't really bolt anything down (ie. storage bin, wheel chock, tie down hooks). Any suggestions as to converting to a wood floor? I was considering laying plywood over the mesh and bolting it down to the frame. What is the best way to go about this? What type of materials should I use? Newb questions I know, but this is my first trailer and I want to make sure I do this right. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Grab some 3/4 inch plywood and put it over the mesh like you were thinking. I would then either bolt it or screw it down to the frame. A baxley or condor chock would also compliment that trailer very nicely, plus then you would only need 2 tie downs for the bike. Lockharts can get you a good price on the trailer only condor as that is the cheapest way to go.

Also it's not fully pimp till it has a CLSB sticker on it :D

Congrats bro, trailers are fun

·
El Burrito Volador
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Grab some 3/4 inch plywood and put it over the mesh like you were thinking. I would then either bolt it or screw it down to the frame. A baxley or condor chock would also compliment that trailer very nicely, plus then you would only need 2 tie downs for the bike. Lockharts can get you a good price on the trailer only condor as that is the cheapest way to go.

Also it's not fully pimp till it has a CLSB sticker on it :D

Congrats bro, trailers are fun
:cheers Thanks buddy.

I got a pit-stop Condor and coincidentally, I got it from the Lockharts. I was thinking I like this style tie downs...

and yes, I will be needing some CLSB and NESBA stickers to add to my pimp status :laughing:

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
:cheers Thanks buddy.

I got a pit-stop Condor and coincidentally, I got it from the Lockharts. I was thinking I like this style tie downs...

and yes, I will be needing some CLSB and NESBA stickers to add to my pimp status :laughing:
Those are the style rings I used in my rig. It was a bit of a pain sinking them into the wood and cutting the holes right as I am no carpenter, but once done it was definetly worth the work.

·
El Burrito Volador
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those are the style rings I used in my rig. It was a bit of a pain sinking them into the wood and cutting the holes right as I am no carpenter, but once done it was definetly worth the work.
Where did you buy them? I was planning on ordering them online, but if I can pick them up locally I'd rather do that.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Ricks rv on jefferson and I-55. they got all sort of trailer stuff.

·
Not too Slow Not too Fast
1,634 Posts
You can always get a Diamond Plate Aluminum instead of plywood, it is more expensive but worth the money for sure.

·
Registered lunatic
1,652 Posts
Check all the welds and if you have to re-weld over them to make them stronger. Check the tires and wheels, some of the company's use sub standard ones to make it cheaper for the buyer. Check into upgrades regarding the lights, you want to really be seen and I would put lights on the sides too. Just a few thoughts.

·
El Burrito Volador
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Check all the welds and if you have to re-weld over them to make them stronger. Check the tires and wheels, some of the company's use sub standard ones to make it cheaper for the buyer. Check into upgrades regarding the lights, you want to really be seen and I would put lights on the sides too. Just a few thoughts.
Thats a good idea. I'm not a welder or anything, but I'll take a look at them to see if anything need reinforcement. Tires will probably get upgraded over the winter, but we'll see how they do on the road. As far as lighting, they are pretty decent lights (bright) and the trailer already came with side lights.

how much was that trailer....without the extras you bought for it....

looks nice.
Menards has their trailers on closeout. I think mine was like $575 before taxes. They also have a 4X8 that's going for like $450 or so, but it doesn't come with a ramp.

·
El Burrito Volador
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i just picked up the extra's there. spare tire, holder, and jack. :cheers

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
i just picked up the extra's there. spare tire, holder, and jack. :cheers

If you go on a long trip with it you might want to get 2 spare tires. They are not uncommon to blow 2 tires in 1 long trip. Just FYI it has happened to me before on a newer trailer

·
El Burrito Volador
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Why not bolt stuff down using fender washers? I'd try that before decking the whole trailer.
I thought about that, but I don't trust the wire mesh. I'm sure it would hold up. So I'm doing mostly for my peace of mind.

If you go on a long trip with it you might want to get 2 spare tires. They are not uncommon to blow 2 tires in 1 long trip. Just FYI it has happened to me before on a newer trailer
I don't think the trailer will go any further than BHF, but that's not a bad idea regardless. Maybe after I finish pimping it out some.

I was also thinking about beefing up that tongue. It's just a single rail coming straight out. I was thinking about getting two supports welded on to make it an 'A' style tongue. That can be done, correct?

·
El Burrito Volador
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I'm laying down plywood on the trailer this weekend. I want to make the wood durable. I was thinking about laying down some sort of sealer (Rhino Liner or something similar) or even vinyl tiles or something. Anyone have any suggestions? Or is this just a waste of time for an open trailer?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Plywood will have a tendency to warp. Use lots fasteners to hold it down and it should be fine. A friend used a paint-on rhino liner on his boat trailer steps and it looked very nice. You could also use a deck watersealer and mix in a bit of sand for traction. When/if you need to weld let me know. We can help you out there too.

C ya at BHF

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Make sure you get the treated stuff for outdoors. then you can always throw some thompsons water sealer on it as well.

·
d0 work s0n!
2,218 Posts
So I'm laying down plywood on the trailer this weekend. I want to make the wood durable. I was thinking about laying down some sort of sealer (Rhino Liner or something similar) or even vinyl tiles or something. Anyone have any suggestions? Or is this just a waste of time for an open trailer?
do not use vinyl. if you get caught in the rain that will become some slippery shit. i would also sway against the rhino liner just bc that stuff get's pretty tacky when it sits in the sun all day. i would go with the sealer and sand. good for traction and for longevity of the plywood. congrats on the trailer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts