Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Former Chicagoian
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get my first off road bike ASAP.

I would like to buy used for under $2,000 if at all possible and want a 4-stroke unless you can talk me into a 2-stroke. I've been looking on e-bay, craigslist, and this forum of course.

To start, I plan to do trail riding both in the midwest and the northeast. FWIW, I've ridden street bikes ranging from a 250 up to a goldwing but have not been on a dirt bike since I was a kid.

The CRF250X looks like it would work well, no?

Are there any forums I should be reading up on?

Thanks

·
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin
8,791 Posts
I am new to it and really like my WR if you get 2004 and up you get the magic button.

·
4,985 Posts
Dirtrider.net is ok but you have to filter through a ton of stupid posts by 12 year olds in order to get any good information. Ktmtalk.com is good for general riding information. Thumpertalk.com is ok too.

Why are you set on a 4 stroke? Keep in mind they are higher maintenance and plan to shell out big bucks if you break them. In my opinion 2 strokes are better in the woods anyways if you know how to ride them. Watch a GNCC race and see what the majority of the guys are riding.

·
slow poke
101 Posts
Looking to get my first off road bike ASAP.

I would like to buy used for under $2,000 if at all possible and want a 4-stroke unless you can talk me into a 2-stroke. I've been looking on e-bay, craigslist, and this forum of course.

To start, I plan to do trail riding both in the midwest and the northeast. FWIW, I've ridden street bikes ranging from a 250 up to a goldwing but have not been on a dirt bike since I was a kid.

The CRF250X looks like it would work well, no?

Are there any forums I should be reading up on?

Thanks
thumpertalk if youwant a 4 stroke plan to invest if you get a honda..

·
Former Chicagoian
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was under the impression that 2 strokes were higher maintenance and just generally more of a pain in the ass....but I'm a newb to all this. I do my own maintenance etc. and I don't know shit about 2-strokes other than their performance benefits.

The other reason is I simply would prefer a quieter bike if all else was held constant.

But I'm not really set on a four-stroke at this point...I just THINK that's what I want.

·
Woo Woo
2,720 Posts
get a two stroke CerkMX is selling one

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Two stroke for the savings at the beginning. 4-stroke is easier to ride.

Depending on your level of aggression, CRF100 or 150 are good starter bikes.

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
It will be tough to find a reliable 4 stroke bike in that price range. Early 4 strokes were notoriously unreliable while still being a pain to work on. Two strokes, however, are easy to find in that price range. 125s are tough to ride in trails though; they lack the low end grunt needed to go up hills and kick starting can be a pain.

If you really are dead set on a 4 stroke, I suggest holding out, saving up more money (at least another grand) and getting a bike that is much more reliable.

I'd avoid the 'trail bikes' honestly (230s, 130s). The suspension is lower end, and that kills your confidence going over, around, up the 'things' in the way. Look for inverted forks up front, that's usually a sign of an MX inspired bike.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I am new to it as well, and I decided to get a 2T for the reasons mentioned above. Its a blast and works well on the trails in my opinion. I was able to pick up a 2003 KX125 for dirt cheap. Its a buyers market right now.

·
Resident Slow guy
6,770 Posts
haha Nice hat Grover

For a beginner bike in that price range I'd look at a trail bike first and see how you like riding. they are easy to ride and require less maintenance then the MX 4 strokes.

Lots of TTR125's around or other trail bikes (LE has electric start)
Pick up springs for your weight
go play

Later as your confidence builds, pickup something faster (and usually heavier)

someone mentioned they may be going to southern honda
how about this one
http://www.southernhonda.com/new_ve...27I09JAMQ1606R0&veh=23715&CatDesc=Motorcycles
CRF™150F MSRP $3,099.00*Our Price $1,999.00*

On the other hand if you are an aggressive rider and can get in the habit of really using your clutch a lot,
2 strokes are selling reaaaaaaly cheap these days.

Going back to your original choice I'm a big fan of the crf250x, but it can require some wrenching.
I don't mind this so I'm pretty happy with the one I have, Kruz has one as well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a TTR230.Old style valve adjustments not buckets and shims so less maint.I bought stiffer springs rejetted and changed the front sprocket.The bike is great for trail riding and light jumping. My wife rides a TTR125.Both are electric start which is nice.

·
Former Chicagoian
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, CerkMX sold his RM...shit. After doing a lot of research and watching a ton of youtube clips I think I'm leaning towards a 2-stroke 125.

Thoughts on this KTM?

1999 ktm sx 125

you are bidding on a 1999 ktm sx 125, bike runs great. i had the whole engine gone thru earlier in the season. spent over 700.00, i have the reciept. the plastic is in good shape, has normal wear, the seat has a small tear in it, the tires are fair, it has only been raced 1 time since it was rebuilt. this bike handles great,i believe the fork seals will need to be replaced soon. but over all it been a real good bike for us. sorry i have no title but i will give a bill of sale. bike is for sale locally, so i may end auction early. sold as is, pickup only i will not deliver
He's asking for about $1,000

·
Grid Marshall. ,
29,341 Posts
get a two stroke CerkMX is selling one
Well, CerkMX sold his RM...shit. After doing a lot of research and watching a ton of youtube clips I think I'm leaning towards a 2-stroke 125.

Thoughts on this KTM?

Sorry my man...ya just missed the RM. Talk to Ryan about that KTM, he has a '99 SX that rips.:)

·
Registered
18,079 Posts
if it's as he says it is
BUY

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
I know a guy selling a cherry 1996 KX500 for 1800 bucks. Bad ass bike. You'll be fine on it. Perfect first dirtbike. LOL!!!

·
4,985 Posts

Thoughts on this KTM?

BUY IT. That's a great bike, though I am a little biased :laughing: . I couldn't be happier with my 125SX. It's the perfect bike for tight woods stuff. The 98-99's have the 50mm WP Extreme forks which are considered some of the best forks out there for trail riding. Guys are buying those old forks to install on brand new bikes.

As for the comments about 2 strokes not having the low end grunt for trail riding :lmao: . Follow me through some of the tough stuff at Buffalo and then tell me how my 125 2 stroke doesn't have enough power.

·
Follow me through some of the tough stuff at Buffalo and then tell me how my 125 2 stroke doesn't have enough power.

BAD MOTHER FUCKER.

:nutkick: :lmao:

I know full grown adults that have no problem whipping my ass on a clapped out kx65.

That said, the low end torque on my 250f helps make my mistakes more manageable.:lmao:

1 - 20 of 105 Posts