Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come to the conclusion that the Daytona will not sell this season so I'm going to work on her this winter. One of the projects I wanted to tackle was rebuilding the forks. I was wondering what you all would recommend as far as this.

Traxxion Dynamics, RaceTech?

Revalve? Change spring strength too? RaceTech's website says I want to be at about .95kg springs (street riding at 220lbs minus gear) and stock Triumph springs are at .78kg, so this sounds like something I'll be doing as well.

How far should I take this though? Will I be good to go with a simple revalve kit and borrow someone's fork tools? Should I ship them away to one of the companies and let them do it?

Should I do the rear shock at the same time? I've not had a problem with the rear shock yet but will I need something better after I get the front nicely set up?

Opinions here.

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
Call Superbike Italia at 708-447-5110. Ask for Ken, tell him Grasshopper sent you, he will hook you up.

If you are going to spend the money you should spend it correctly and get your bike set up by a professional.

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
Call Superbike Italia at 708-447-5110. Ask for Ken, tell him Grasshopper sent you, he will hook you up.

If you are going to spend the money you should spend it correctly and get your bike set up by a professional.
+1 I don't even change fork seals myself. It's too easy to mess up, and handing a mechanic a box of parts is more expensive in the end. And if you aren't seriously supervised or watch somebody do it a few times, it's likely you'll mess up.

As for the rear shock, I'd pass until you need it. It MIGHT add some value to it, but not what you'll want when you try to sell it in the spring.

·
Old School
1,007 Posts
4 And 6

contact jim he is pretty good at that stuff.........
www.4and6.com

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
thermosman there is no other! www.thermosman.com
+1,000,000 - Mike Fitzgerald is the man. Do you know how he got the name Thermosman? Down in GA, where he lives, he clocked a guy in the head with his coffee thermos. The guy was in the process of robbing (with a gun) the convienence store mike was buying his coffee in at the time. He knocked the guy out. :laughing:

·
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
strip the bike, sell the plastics, make it a speedIII, gixxer forks.
That was the other thought, how much of a bitch is it going to be to get either the Trumpet front wheels to fit on gixxer forks or how expensive for an entire gixxer front end including wheels?

Worth the cost? I can't imagine getting away from that without spending less than $1k, if that's the case, Dave is right, I'm going Street Triple.

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
you can get a whole gixxer front end for well under 1k if you keep your eyes peeled. Wheel, fork, axle, brake system, triples. Or you could just rebuild the stockers, they're decent units.

·
Model citizen
10,026 Posts
I'm doing the same thing this winter to the TL. New springs, re-valve and replace the seals. Never done it before, but you gotta learn somehow.

Grasshoppers guy is good if your not confident doing it yourself. I rode the R6 once. The most planted and confidence inspring bike I've ever ridden, (admittedly I have limited time on other bikes). Lean into the turn and the suspension just sucks downwards a bit and stays there. Amazingly predicitable and rock solid.

·
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!
3,648 Posts

·
El Burrito Volador
1,141 Posts
you can get a whole gixxer front end for well under 1k if you keep your eyes peeled. Wheel, fork, axle, brake system, triples. Or you could just rebuild the stockers, they're decent units.
+1 I've seen them on the WERA boards for as little as $300 (not including the wheel).

·
4,564 Posts

Or he'll kick you in the nuts and say get out of here...... :lmao:

·
3,707 Posts
RaceTech's website says I want to be at about .95kg springs (street riding at 220lbs minus gear) and stock Triumph springs are at .78kg, so this sounds like something I'll be doing as well.

Opinions here.
I use 1.0kg springs on the track and weigh about 175. The .95kg spring sounds a little too soft to me. I would prefer to err on the side of too stiff since it is better to dial pre-load out and soften the forks up a bit than to have to dial too much pre-load into the spring cause they are too soft.

Just my .02

·
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I use 1.0kg springs on the track and weigh about 175. The .95kg spring sounds a little too soft to me. I would prefer to err on the side of too stiff since it is because to dial pre-load out and soften the forks up a bit than to have to dial too much pre-load into the spring cause they are too soft.

Just my .02
Good thinking, I hadn't considered that, I can always turn the stiffness down, but there's a limit as to how hard I can make it. Would a 1.05kg spring be too much? I'm probably about 250lbs with full gear on.

Here is a copy of the email that Traxxion Dynamics sent me:

Brian,

We have 3 options for your forks, (besides the $2500 treatment)

First we can do a complete rebuild, which includes complete disassembly, hand polishing the fork tubes (reduces stiction and removes burs that may lead to a seal leak), cleaning and inspection of all parts. We can install springs matched to your weight, which will help with bottoming on your hard landings, and give you a better ride. This service will be about $300.

The next option is to rebuild you forks as above, add springs matched to your weight and revalve your stock pistons using shims. This will give you improved bump absorption, and a sportier feel with improved bottoming resistance. This service would be about $550.

The next step up would be to rebuild, add new springs and install the Traxxion Dynamics Axxion Valve Kits (both Rebound and Compression) into your stock cartridges. The Axxion Valves give the bike a nice firm feel and give the front far superior bump absorption then any other valving on the market. This service would be $799.95.

Our best street setup is the is our AK-20 Axxion Cartridge Kit. Our Axxion Cartridges are complete replacement cartridges that all ready have our Axxion Valves installed. The cartridge kit is $999.95, installation is $150. One of the great features of the AK-20 will be that you can transfer it to a different bike. So when you go to sell you current bike you can simply remove the AK-20 reinstall the stock cartridge in the bike you are selling and install the AK-20 in your new bike.

In all cases, the forks will be ready to install, set to baseline settings.

At the minimum, I would recommend at least our second option.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Dan

I hadn't considered spending a huge amount of money on this, but the AK-20 sounds pretty nice, especially if I can re-use it in another bike. Here is their product detail of the kit, what do you think?

http://www.traxxion.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=AK-20

1 - 20 of 31 Posts