Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know tolls are a pain for us as cyclists and some of us have gotten lazy at times. This was in the Southtown today so beware if you are one that blows the tolls.

Toll cheats put on notice

On the Move

Friday, November 15, 2002

By Guy Tridgell

The bell is about to ring on another round in the fight to force habitual toll cheats to make good on their debts.

Before the end of the year, the state Toll Highway Authority will send a new batch of collection letters to drivers who have blown five or more tolls.

The efforts stem from a three-year, $38 million contract with Transcore, a Lisle firm that has worked with the tollway on electronic collection matters.

The contract calls for reviewing transaction logs and surveillance footage from toll plazas to spot offenders. The tollway used to hire its own staff for the chore, but decided to bring in outside help because too many violators were slipping through the cracks.

The move is another example of the penny pinching going on at the tollway these days, when anything that nets a few more cents is getting a look.

Toll scofflaws account for at least $7 million lost each year, roughly 2 percent of annual toll revenue.

The money adds up quickly. Blown tolls bring a $20 fine; if ignored, the fine jumps to $70.

Tollway officials expect to get $16 million in lost tolls and fines through the Transcore deal.

If the letter recipients do not respond, they could have their license or vehicle registration yanked.

I-PASS customers who unknowingly pass through plazas after their accounts have run dry will not be treated as harshly.

Tollway spokeswoman Joelle McGinnis said those folks will get a reminder in the mail to replenish their accounts.

"We will treat our I-PASS customers differently," McGinnis said.

·
Please attend carefully..
2,625 Posts
Does anyone here find it ironic that the state is spending $38 million to recover $16 million????

Paging John Kass...paging John Kass.....

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Norseman82 said:
Does anyone here find it ironic that the state is spending $38 million to recover $16 million????

Paging John Kass...paging John Kass.....
did you expect something different???

I think that the thought behind it is that they will save far more over the years if they let people know they are serious now.;)

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Norseman82 said:
Well, we can HOPE that refers to $16 Million net!:rolleyes

Also note that they expect this return on only a $7 million per year initial loss from the tolls.

Care to bet whether they are going to try to budget this as a source of revenue?:bs

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BusaDave said:

Well, we can HOPE that refers to $16 Million net!:rolleyes

Also note that they expect this return on only a $7 million per year initial loss from the tolls.

Care to bet whether they are going to try to budget this as a source of revenue?:bs
:laughing :laughing :laughing sooooo synical...yet sooo right.:D :D :cheers

G

·
The toll way authority needs the money to build another what 25 million dollar office complex with $2,500 chairs!

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
hayabusa_z said:
The toll way authority needs the money to build another what 25 million dollar office complex with $2,500 chairs!
Don't forget the state is running a $2 BILLION deficit right now! I'm thinking traffic enforcement could get MUCH worse!:(

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BusaDave said:

Don't forget the state is running a $2 BILLION deficit right now! I'm thinking traffic enforcement could get MUCH worse!:(

Not to mention the Democrats have control and will never cease to make our lives miserable to cover the deficit instead of getting creative and making it easier on the taxpayers.

Ooops!!!!!!!!!!! did I say that outloud:laughing :laughing :laughing

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Crazy said:

Not to mention the Democrats have control
Yep, just in time to get the blame for the deficit created by the Republican administration or for the tax increases to pay for it.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BusaDave said:

Yep, just in time to get the blame for the deficit created by the Republican administration or for the tax increases to pay for it.
So it seems the shoe is on the other foot for once huh.:laughing :laughing :laughing :evil

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Crazy said:

So it seems the shoe is on the other foot for once huh.:laughing :laughing :laughing :evil
For once??? I guess you haven't been paying attention for the last 40 years.:jester

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BusaDave said:

For once??? I guess you haven't been paying attention for the last 40 years.:jester
LOL We'll I'm only 27 so I haven't paid attention for 40 for sure.:laughing :laughing LOL

I was referring to the Clinton Bush transition.;) and what was this thread about again:laughing :laughing :eek:t :eek:t

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
Clinton rode in on the prosperity wave created by the Republican administration... now G.W. has to clean up the mess after Bill.

And around we go!

When I become Dictator...:evil

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Crazy said:

...and what was this thread about again:laughing :laughing :eek:t :eek:t
What's all this I hear about trolls? I mean who want's to talk about hairy old trolls anyway. I mean they are nasty creatures that jump out and scare you and...

No, that tolls, not trolls.

Oh....

Never mind.

:eek:t :eek:t :eek:t :-

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BusaDave said:

What's all this I hear about trolls? I mean who want's to talk about hairy old trolls anyway. I mean they are nasty creatures that jump out and scare you and...

No, that tolls, not trolls.

Oh....

Never mind.

:eek:t :eek:t :eek:t :-

LOL:laughing :laughing :rofl :rofl

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
Hey....I received a letter just last week from that Lisle based company. They were asking me for $2.50. They said they were auditing I-Pass accounts and found that my transponder did not register for the about 5 tolls. The itemized the locations, times, toll amount...everything.

They said this is normally a $20-50 fine attached to this, but that I would not be charged this time.

I haven't paid it yet, not sure if I will....I'm still wondering what the hell they expect me to do when the transponder they leased to me doesn't register. Am I supposed to slam on the breaks at 50 mph and throw it into reverse? I understand them billing me for the missed toll, but fine me? How can they justify that?

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kruz said:
Hey....I received a letter just last week from that Lisle based company. They were asking me for $2.50. They said they were auditing I-Pass accounts and found that my transponder did not register for the about 5 tolls. The itemized the locations, times, toll amount...everything.

They said this is normally a $20-50 fine attached to this, but that I would not be charged this time.

I haven't paid it yet, not sure if I will....I'm still wondering what the hell they expect me to do when the transponder they leased to me doesn't register. Am I supposed to slam on the breaks at 50 mph and throw it into reverse? I understand them billing me for the missed toll, but fine me? How can they justify that?
LOL now that's a scam.:laughing :laughing :laughing

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kruz said:
I'm going to send them a check for $2.49 and see what they do...

LOL:laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing . I got $10 that says they waste a 37 cents for a stamp to send you a notice to pay a penny.:laughing :laughing

1 - 20 of 31 Posts