Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
6Teen Cycles
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sold my GSXR1000 Turbo and decided to pick up an inexpensive bike to just go out and ride with. I wanted something older and cool this is what I got.

Its a 1972 Triumph Bonneville, rode her home from the sellers house. I plan on changing the bars to something a little less cruiser, but not all out cafe racer (superbike bars if your old enough to know what those are). Also gonna eventually change the pipes. Overall I am really pleased with it.

Took a couple of blocks to get used to shifting with my right foot and braking with the left, its gonna take a lot longer getting used to the drum brakes, you have to start stopping way early. I thought Harley brakes were bad. :laughing:

·
Former Chicagoian
864 Posts
You went from a Turbo 1K to that??? It's definitly a cool bike with some style. Enjoy...

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
I learned on one of those when I was like 12. Nice bike. When you are done with it let me know. :D

·
6Teen Cycles
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i like it lots.
The funny part is I was about 2 seconds from buying a wrecked 05 GSXR to build into a Street fighter I liked yours so much.

I will still build one eventually.

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
The funny part is I was about 2 seconds from buying a wrecked 05 GSXR to build into a Street fighter I liked yours so much.

I will still build one eventually.
i would like that lots too. I'll sell you mine. I want a new project heap. Dont tell my wife. :laughing:

·
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin
8,791 Posts
I was going to ask if it still was right hand drive. The best thing about that is nobody ever asks to ride it once they know that. If I had the room and time I would take the scrambler from you but alas I do not.

·
6Teen Cycles
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i would like that lots too. I'll sell you mine. I want a new project heap. Dont tell my wife. :laughing:
Trade you for a 72 350 scrambler.:lmao: You know you can't buy a streetfighter you have to build them! except if your planning on buying Vcooks)

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
if that scrambler had a title it'd go fast, it looks real clean. fun around town bike.

·
6Teen Cycles
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if that scrambler had a title it'd go fast, it looks real clean. fun around town bike.
Yeah I know if I don't sell it soon, I will do the work to get the title, clean the carbs and make it a runner. Then I'll sell her for triple in the spring. :jester
The wife is really just pissed that I brought 2 bikes home, I just can't resist I would like to have a pole barn and load it up with every cool bike I find. If I had the money :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nice Bonny. I used to ride a 1971 BSA 650. Yours looks to be in much better shape than mine was. When I would ride down the street, I always had a bunch of older guys giving me the thumbs up and such.

Eventually, I sold/bought/sold/bought and have an older Ducati. Now I ride down the street and I always have a bunch of older ladies giving me the thumbs up and such. :)

Also, my wife has not had to help me push start the last few years as the BSA was sometimes tempermental. Damn 70's British connectors.

·
Grid Marshall. ,
29,341 Posts
:thumbsup

I'm telling ya Geo, if you have any questions on that bike, let me know. The 'ole man is a Bonneville expert:)

·
6Teen Cycles
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:thumbsup

I'm telling ya Geo, if you have any questions on that bike, let me know. The 'ole man is a Bonneville expert:)
I definitely will be getting a hold of you if I come up with any questions.

I'm also goona get this shirt.

·
Grid Marshall. ,
29,341 Posts
I definitely will be getting a hold of you if I come up with any questions.

I'm also goona get this shirt.
The top end won't rust...that baby throws a fine mist of oil over the whole thing, keeps it nice and lubed:laughing

·
Armed law abiding citizen
19,052 Posts
Hit up Rudedog74 from here on old school Triumph questions. He rebuilt a '67 bonnie 650. Twice. :lmao:

·
6Teen Cycles
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the compliments. Usually they mean a lot to me cause I have spent time $$$ and shed blood building my bikes. This is the first one that I've just ridden home and posted up some pics. Glad that most everyone appreciates a classic.

5,620 Posts
The double leading front should stop very well.
check to be sure it's adjusted correctly the pads should contact both at the same time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts