Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you guys I have been looking for a new bike and I had it narrowed down to three when someone said check out the gixxer I went and looked at them today

:mad Why didn't any of you gixxer owners tell me they came stock with a steering damener??

that is a big Plus making the gix seven fiddy stand above the rest. I think that a steering dampener is a must for my transition into the lighter bikes. what year gixxers come with dampeners besides the 2002 any older models? trying to get one without donationg a kidney to the cause. but I think I have found a winner :D I think I will be trying to get a gix 750 but the dealership I went to *cough watson motorsports cough* wants almost 9k OTD is this right??? for used ? I mean aren't new ones like $9100-9500? but now I have decided The offical announcement .........drum roll please

I want a yellow gix 750 '98 - 02 will be seriously looking for a deal to make me sale the kat
:cheers

so if you guys see anything of intrest let me know. thanks guys

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Don't go to Watson!!! IMO, they are crooks. I wouldn't trust them and their customer service sucks!

You're going to have to travel to a good dealer to get a decent price and great customer service.

Doc

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
I'll drive by naperville and see what they got for ya.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
:D How come I feel like nobody is listening when I talk lately. Check the other thread about advice/opinions I told you they came stock with dampners.:cheers

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Crazy said:
:D How come I feel like nobody is listening when I talk lately. Check the other thread about advice/opinions I told you they came stock with dampners.:cheers
Because crazy you always saying something CRAZY :laughing j/k
I know you did that is why I took the time to look at the gixxer crazy. You are one of the a handful whose opinion I weigh more heavily than some when given. :D and besides I know you are an ex-gixxer owner.

I was looking in watson just for an idea I would never buy anything from them after a car exp. my wife had with them. but I figure I can go see and sit on it get a feel from a dealer close by me to help decide what I want and then search for the best deal know what I mean? I don't want to ride out 1-2 hours to sit on a bike that is right around the corner from me, But I don't mind riding far out to get the deal done. just like I looked in speed limit but I would not buy a bike from them because they don't hide the fact that they buy mostly damaged bikes and repair them but I can go sit on an f4 or r6 or whatever.
And talk about cust. service it took me almost half an hour to get anyone to talk to me so that told me what I could expect should I buy from them (watson). The only reason I brought up the price is to see what ballpark I am working in trying to stay in the $0-8k range.:rofl $0 would be nice :rofl

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
2000 and up gixxer 750 came with a damper stock(not sure about old models).

2000 was also the introduction of the current body style.

98 was the induction of fuel injection on the 750.

All current gixxers are fuel injected and come stock with a damper.

If considering a 2000 750 or early 2001 750, you need to be aware that they had problems with second gear. This problem does not occur on ALL bikes that left the factory(mostly the beaten ones though) and it has been fixed on many. Something to inquire about if looking at a used one of this vintage.

Oh and in my opinion the 750 is a quantum leap in power and handling above an old kat. Careful out there, man.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I know someone with a used 750 for sale. He's asking $7900 firm. I believe it's an '02. I wouldn't personally vouch for it. You'd have to take a look at it.

·
habitual line stepper
3,235 Posts
My brother has been thinking about selling his. He just bought it used this season but he's been thinking about going to the darkside--VTwin. I'll get the details tonight.

Don't get too excited about the stock damper. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vcook said:

If considering a 2000 750 or early 2001 750, you need to be aware that they had problems with second gear. This problem does not occur on ALL bikes that left the factory(mostly the beaten ones though) and it has been fixed on many. Something to inquire about if looking at a used one of this vintage.

Oh and in my opinion the 750 is a quantum leap in power and handling above an old kat. Careful out there, man.
well V I don't plan to power wheelie out the door but I know it is a huge step that is why I want the dampner and you guys to ride with :D you guys are great teachers and if I can get prof. oddy to come out for the second class :D I should be ok:helmet also what kind of problem with second gear hard to get into, slippage, skipping? Thanks that narrows it down even more 2k and above. I think any newer bike will be a quatum leap in power :laughing I will be looking more actively after the season and I get the new panels on the kat I am trying to get at least $2k out of it.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Kruz said:
You call that body style current? :D

I thought the thread was titled Gixxer owners????:confused ???:confused

:laughing :D :laughing :laughing :D :laughing

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
I've got to represent....

the rational side of the equation....

What RU doing in here? former owners don't count.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Kruz said:
former owners don't count.

If you want to get technical I still own half a gixxer motor

:D :D :laughing

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Vcook said:

I've seen that bike in downtown naperville, very nice. Very clean and good looking in person. I was under the impression that it had been a stunt bike though, am i wrong?
I don't think it's ever been crashed but it hasn't been babied either. It's a nice looking bike. As with ANY used bike, you'd want to look it over. That's the bike I was talking about earlier but I guess it's an '01 NOT an '02.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok now next question

Any good dealer sites ??? I am trying to do as much as possible before I start driving out to these places. I mean if I can get down to the final look over and deal. before I visit that would be great but I have plenty of time and I think I will have more selection once the season is over:D on the private sector anyway. so right now I am in the gather facts/finding a good backup stage. buying from a dealer would be my second choice. too many fees and sh%@ and they usually try to screw you twice.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Re: ok now next question

Michael said:

no such thing .. all motorcycle dealer websites suck .. if you are lucky, they _might_ have a current inventory of used bikes on it .. but most don't.
yeah thought about it after I posted it. Well I am looking for a used but not TOO abused bike

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Re: Re: Re: ok now next question

bnutz24 said:

yeah thought about it after I posted it. Well I am looking for a used but not TOO abused bike
Your better off waiting for something to come up. I still would definitely lean you toward the 600 though IMHO.;) and I'm not saying that cause I don't wnat you to be able to keep up with me cause the 750 wouldn't do that anyway:D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah well I know I want a gixxer so what ever I can get the best deal on really 750-600 TO ME doesn't really matter at this point in my riding career as I am nowhere near able to push the limit of any (500+ cc) bike to it's limit. just haven't seen many 600's in showrooms or posted for sale. figured they were hard to come by if I find one cool. I just really don't want to buy NEW yet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts