Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a long tiem I thought it couldn;t be doen on a F4i. Sat. I was bored so I took the linkage apart and messed with it while I had the sprocket cover off to clean the chain (1st time since I bought it....10k miles ago:rolleyes).

Anyway, I just took off the shifter arm, and reinstallted it upside down. And it fits. The only thing is that I can;t put the sproket cover back on... but hell who needs that. I just zip tied the overflow hoses and misc wires out of the way. I'll try and remember not to stick my fingers in there while I'm moving.:rolleyes :laughing


I like it a lot better. It makes more sense. I still suck at shifting, but once I get my timing adjusted to the change (I'm a slow learner when it coems ot hand eye coordination) I'll be shifting like a hot knife through butter... or something like that.
 

·
Who's faster Lupi
Joined
·
4,957 Posts
Just watch out for the chain lube/wax flyin.
 

·
YO MAMA
Joined
·
60,258 Posts
OR when you toe in on a turn and your toes get pinched off....if i was you take a cutter to the cover to taylor it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,186 Posts
Odysseys said:
OR when you toe in on a turn and your toes get pinched off....if i was you take a cutter to the cover to taylor it
I don't have my cover on either cause of the whole setup. I only got my foot in the way once:mad , and the motor gets splashed with the chain lube too:mad . I'm with Ken, I'm going to try and taylor a cover over the winter if I have to mill one out.:cheers
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I had connections to a machine shop, it wouldn;t be had ot design a simple aluminum cover. It's just a half circel with two holes.

Maybe I put somethnig together with AutoCAD and e-mail it to Champ91 and see if he can help me out.

The stock cover is thermoset double wall plastic, pretty strong but kind of brittle too.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Odysseys said:
or i whiped out in a turn..when i thought i SLAMMED and HAMMERED into 3rd gear:evil
That is one fear, bring in 2nd at about 80 mph and going for 3rd and getting 1st. Actually more common is for me to be downshifting and forgetting and shifting up a gear instead.

Hey it at least works as a antitheft device. They start the bike, kick it into 2nd ans keep stalling. Finally they get it going and go for 3rd and get 1st, lock up the rear and crash. Then I get sued for by the theif.:jester
 

·
Who's faster Lupi
Joined
·
4,957 Posts
cherrypicker said:
If I had connections to a machine shop, it wouldn;t be had ot design a simple aluminum cover. It's just a half circel with two holes.

Maybe I put somethnig together with AutoCAD and e-mail it to Champ91 and see if he can help me out.

The stock cover is thermoset double wall plastic, pretty strong but kind of brittle too.
Send it over. I have AutoCAD here as well.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Champ91 said:


Send it over. I have AutoCAD here as well.
I'll start working on it. It will take a couple days.
 

·
Who's faster Lupi
Joined
·
4,957 Posts
np lmk
 

·
Who's faster Lupi
Joined
·
4,957 Posts
I made one for my bike but not interested in doing it for others. Its easy. Just cut out some sheet steel. D-zus fittings and prime and paint.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kind of materials d oyou have for me to work with in designing this thing. What size billet aluminum do you typically have lying around? A 1" thick 5"X 5" block would work real good. Mabe even 4X4. Do you like it simple, or do you want the challenge of really testing your skills on the end mill. wish I had access to a machine shop. I like making stuff like this.
 

·
Who's faster Lupi
Joined
·
4,957 Posts
just design it damn it I'll let you know if you over engineered it. like most engineers.:twofinger
 

·
I can make my bike lean!
Joined
·
356 Posts
Champ91 said:
just design it damn it I'll let you know if you over engineered it. like most engineers.:twofinger
Somehow I dont think you want Mike designing something...remember what happened when Homer designed something?:jester :jester :twofinger
 

·
Who's faster Lupi
Joined
·
4,957 Posts
YZFRabbit said:


Somehow I dont think you want Mike designing something...remember what happened when Homer designed something?:jester :jester :twofinger
Not a problem. Not my bike. I make to print. Right wrong or indifferrent. :D
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top