Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Clever Girl
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about going back to school to get my Masters and wanted some advice from people that have taken the GRE in the past.

What did you do to study? I'm planning on getting a Princeton Review book that comes with 4 practice tests:

http://www.amazon.com/Cracking-2008...7139867?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194239778&sr=8-1

Any other books that people would recommend? And is it worth it to pay the hundreds, if not thousands it costs to take an actual Princeton Review prep course? I'm fairly good at studying on my own but have no idea how difficult this test is. I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering, so I'm fairly competent at math, just have to brush up on my algebra and other high school subjects.

Thanks in advance.

·
n00b
772 Posts
Are you taking the generic one, or a special topics course? The generic one is pretty easy. The others not so much. I'd try the book first and see how you are doing. Then if you really need a high test score, take the course too. A prep course's costs pale in comparison to your actual master's so I would not let money be the deciding factor :2cents: If you are taking the generic exam, but already have a BS in mechanical engineering I think you will do great with the proper amount of study.

·
Clever Girl
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you taking the generic one, or a special topics course? The generic one is pretty easy. The others not so much. I'd try the book first and see how you are doing. Then if you really need a high test score, take the course too. A prep course's costs pale in comparison to your actual master's so I would not let money be the deciding factor :2cents: If you are taking the generic exam, but already have a BS in mechanical engineering I think you will do great with the proper amount of study.
I really don't know which test I have to take. I guess I should probably look into it.

Because my college GPA isn't the highest, I would need to get a fairly high score on the GRE to get accepted into some grad schools.

My company pays 100% of grad school with no contract, but I guess in the end, I'm more concerned about getting into to grad school, so it might be worth the money.

Anyone have any preference between Kaplan and Princeton Review? I've heard great things about both, at least from my med school buddies.

·
Clever Girl
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts