Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to a few people on the flat 4 about heated grips. Here is the link I promised. I had them on three of my bikes and they work great. And for $27 you can't go wrong. Also to remove your grips and not ruin them just blow compressed air and they will come right off. AND, i suggest you put some electrical tape under the heating element on the left clipon.

Enjoy.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=dual_star_e
 

·
Your friendly Crazy Canuk
Joined
·
12,731 Posts
leavundst said:
I talked to a few people on the flat 4 about heated grips. Here is the link I promised. I had them on three of my bikes and they work great. And for $27 you can't go wrong. Also to remove your grips and not ruin them just blow compressed air and they will come right off. AND, i suggest you put some electrical tape under the heating element on the left clipon.

Enjoy.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=dual_star_e

Ok....great....I'm a total dumb ass when it's comes to electrical stuff :rolleyes You hardwire this right to the battery or thru the the fuse block? It has two kits for bikes, on with a round rocker switch, the other without? So it's just on or off, no tempature control?
 

·
CRF50 Squid
Joined
·
9,583 Posts
So they just go underneath your OEM grips?

Rickster, ideally you want to have some sort of inline fuse in addition to a switch. Bonus points if you use a relay so that the heated grips will only activate when the iginition is on. This way you don't forget to turn off the heated grips and no one can accidently turn it on with out the key. Less risk of draining the battery.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,923 Posts
maoisn said:
So they just go underneath your OEM grips?
Yes ... under the oem grips.

Rick, just as maoisn said, I have my grips wired into my headlights, and a toggle between. Lights on, heat, lights off ... no heat :D
 

·
CRF50 Squid
Joined
·
9,583 Posts
Gotcha. Hmmm, I think I am $27 poorer now. Damn you people! :laughing

Wiring into the headlight is the easier method.
Pro = Piggy back off the headlight fuse, no need to run lines to battery
Con = extra strain on the headlight harness
 

·
CRF50 Squid
Joined
·
9,583 Posts
My guess would be it is a pain to remove, not impossible just a pain. According to the site, the pads are held in place with 3M (VHB) Very High Bond adhesive. You can pry it off but may damage the heating pad in the process.

However, for $27, who ever buys my bike can keep the damn thing. :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,068 Posts
how well do these work at 30-40* out? Do thin gloves will be efficient to keep my hands warm, or will i need thick gloves to prevent the wind chill from keeping the front of my fingers from getting cold?

And how differ are these from heated gloves?


Dennis kirk sells heated pants which i might be buying this year. Because spending 10 dollars on gas a week is ridiculous. :)
 

·
Your friendly Crazy Canuk
Joined
·
12,731 Posts
oldschoolninja said:
how well do these work at 30-40* out? Do thin gloves will be efficient to keep my hands warm, or will i need thick gloves to prevent the wind chill from keeping the front of my fingers from getting cold?

And how differ are these from heated gloves?


Dennis kirk sells heated pants which i might be buying this year. Because spending 10 dollars on gas a week is ridiculous. :)
Susposedly if you keep your core warm, your outer extremeties will stay warm also. Hence I'm definetely going to get a Widder vest. I was looking thru the aerostich catalog last night, they had heated grips that you just velcro to the outside of the OEM grip for $45, that you wire to the battery. I'm not 100% convinced that the heated grips are the way to go. I'm still doing my research, I like the idea of the heated gloves. My biggest concern is my hands sweat easily, and I don't want this cycle of sweat then freeze. The heated grips from what I understand cook your hands.
 

·
Your friendly Crazy Canuk
Joined
·
12,731 Posts
maoisn said:
Gotcha. Hmmm, I think I am $27 poorer now. Damn you people! :laughing

Wiring into the headlight is the easier method.
Pro = Piggy back off the headlight fuse, no need to run lines to battery
Con = extra strain on the headlight harness
Mao, When you get them, I would like to watch and help you do the install, because when it comes to electrical stuff, I suck:(

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,022 Posts
Thats pretty kewl. My problem is that I run with my lights on all the time. In the summer(non cold) time that would be a wicked hot problem ! :)
 

·
CRF50 Squid
Joined
·
9,583 Posts
RickC1957 said:
Mao, When you get them, I would like to watch and help you do the install, because when it comes to electrical stuff, I suck:(

Rick
OK Rick. I ordered it last night. I will send you a PM when I get it. I'm still debating on running an inline fuse from the battery with a relay or take the easy way out and wire it through the headlight harness.

Most headlights are 55 Watts + 36 Watts = 91 Watts ... That is over a 65% increase in load. That may still be in the safe zone but who knows what can happen long term.

Fortunately my bike has HIDs, which only consume 35 Watts, after sparking up of course, so 35W + 36W = 71Watts ... I may be able to live with 29% increase in load. Decisions. Decisions. :)
 

·
CRF50 Squid
Joined
·
9,583 Posts
cam_neely_8 said:
Thats pretty kewl. My problem is that I run with my lights on all the time. In the summer(non cold) time that would be a wicked hot problem ! :)
That is why God invented switches. The lights provide power but you still should have a switch in between.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,923 Posts
Rick, I had the heated gloves. I would have my heated liner on high, and thusly the gloves on high as well. The liner on high=comfy the gloves on high=too hot!

In the coldest of weather, I have only had the grips on low. If they get a little too hot, a toggle switch is easy enough to switch off, or loosen the grip on the handle, as to get some cooler air in there. Turning off/on gloves/liners .....not so easy while riding. These are cheap enough to have on board as a stop gap anyway. I have definitely been caught out in cooler temps than I had dressed for, and it was a treat to be able to get some much needed warmth to my hands.
 

·
Enjoying Life!!
Joined
·
17,771 Posts
I would hardwire the grips to your battery with an inline fuse and switch. ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,923 Posts
cinderellieus04 said:
where u get heated glove liners? How thick r they? my gloves are snug already. I wore under amrour last week riding & I was still freezing! even with full leathers, full under armour cold gear & neck warmer. :bangin
Actually, I have a heated jacket liner, and had heated gloves. Gerbing makes both heated glove liners, and heated gloves. I have seen the heated glove liners at the Moto show, and they look pretty slim. The heated gloves were bulky, and had no armor, prolly better for snowmobiling.
 

·
CRF50 Squid
Joined
·
9,583 Posts
CHeYeNNe said:
I would hardwire the grips to your battery with an inline fuse and switch. ;)
The problem with that is you will forget to turn them off. Nothing like coming out to a dead battery.

I am leaning towards wiring to the battery with a switch and a relay. The unit will only get power when the ignition is on or better yet only when the engine is running.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
How warm do the grip heaters get? I just checked out the web site and it seems pretty cool. Wouldn't be bad if they had two setting on them so you could control how hot they get but I guess it's easy enough to wire one in myself.
 

·
Enjoying Life!!
Joined
·
17,771 Posts
maoisn said:
The problem with that is you will forget to turn them off. Nothing like coming out to a dead battery.

I am leaning towards wiring to the battery with a switch and a relay. The unit will only get power when the ignition is on or better yet only when the engine is running.
OOPS! had my brain turned off :laughing What about wiring to the fuse box and connecting to something that only turns on when the ignition is on? If anything like a car fuse box. Can still put a switch for when you don't need them.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top