Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put all new gears on the driven shaft. ready to put into bike however it doesn't seem to be dry shifting into 5th. Is this something that requires tearing the motor back apart and re aligning the gears ?

5,593 Posts
without the shift fork shafts truly lined up and the fork tab into the shift drum straight .
The parts will bind up while testing.
Are you sure your shifting into fifth and actually not done with shifting in that direction?

Finding 1st and then shifting up through neutral, then the rest of the gears can be confusing as to which gear your actually in.

Good luck

P.S. usually if you can assemble the parts they are right.Check the shift drum first.

· Registered
12,322 Posts
Never had a GSXR apart and looked at the trans but we just had the SV one apart and really took our time taking it apart and putting it back together. I used the micro fiche and service manual plus I compared an engine case that was split with a trans that was never disassembled. That kind of allowed me to cheat but it did allow me to really understand how the thing works. I assembled and disassembled several times and successfully shifted through the gears with the cases split. Without centrifugal force of the engine running and the output shaft connected to the chain / wheel you have to help the trans move from one gear to the other. Like Gus said, finding neutral, then going into first and then back up through the gears and back down you can figure out if it is infact working correctly. It was a pretty fun learning experience to really figure out and understand how it all works. I was a little overwhelmed at first but when I have to do it again I feel pretty confident that I can get it right.

· Registered
12,322 Posts
Also the shift forks have little pins sticking out that insert into the shift drum. If you force splitting the cases or disassembling the trans those are the first things to break. Make sure none of those pins are broken off.

· Resident Slow guy
6,637 Posts
What both guys are saying sounds right to me. But I would make SURE I could get into all the gears before I spent too much time putting the rest back together. Sometimes it does take a little loading and unloading when turning to get things lined up.

When disassembled I always thought Motorcycle Transmissions were some of the neatest things to watch work
(well when they are working I suppose)
Good Luck!

I assembled and disassembled several times and successfully shifted through the gears with the cases split. Without centrifugal force of the engine running and the output shaft connected to the chain / wheel you have to help the trans move from one gear to the other.

5,593 Posts
I just put all new gears on the driven shaft. ready to put into bike however it doesn't seem to be dry shifting into 5th. Is this something that requires tearing the motor back apart and re aligning the gears ?
Did you say back apart?

I've been thinking you were still trying to test pre assembly???

As I said above though if you got this far it's hard to assembly the parts wrong.They usually only go together one way.

You may want to check the shift star and claw assembly.

5,593 Posts
Well if he got that far he's at least making an effort.
Give me shout if you need a hand.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the replies. The motor is back together and installed in the bike. Need to add gas, oil and install the rear wheel (new sprocket combination). Will finish up now that thanksgiving is over.

5,593 Posts
No mention of finding your troubles???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.