Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 1029 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lot of discussions going on about how to address such shootings.

What would you propose to help stop such acts?

Tighter gun control laws?
Arm teachers?
Increase armed security in all schools?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Do you think that the fact that schools and College campuses etc. are declared and posted as "GUN FREE" zones might have something to do with the fact that they have become targets for violently unbalanced people?
Arming teachers may not be viable but, how about some armed security? What an opportunity for a retired cop!
Guns are not the problem they are being made out to be in this situation...Yesterday as the events in Newtown were unfolding, on the other side of the world 22 children and one adult were viciously stabbed in an attck in a Chinese school! Unbalanced people bent on perpetrating evil will find a way. It's not only people with guns!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think that the fact that schools and College campuses etc. are declared and posted as "GUN FREE" zones might have something to do with the fact that they have become targets for violently unbalanced people?
Arming teachers may not be viable but, how about some armed security? What an opportunity for a retired cop!
Guns are not the problem they are being made out to be in this situation...Yesterday as the events in Newtown were unfolding, on the other side of the world 22 children and one adult were viciously stabbed in an attck in a Chinese school! Unbalanced people bent on perpetrating evil will find a way. It's not only people with guns!
Yesterday I heard an interesting point that cases like this tend to happen during bad economic times.

I'm not old enough to make a comment on this, but I wonder if its true...

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Huge discussion on the WERA board about this, covering Gun law, mental health, and media.

IMO, there are a lot of contributory factors to these mass killings. Guns and gun policy are only a small part of what needs to be evaluated, and if guns weren't available, then other means of mass killing would be employed instead.

·
Old Squid on a Blade
9,173 Posts

·
Greg
3,664 Posts
As Cerk posted in the other thread and I've discussed with a few last night: the conversation should be on mental health awareness, treatment and related laws. Talking about guns and physical prevention of tragedies like this is like trying to put out a building on fire with your piss after drinking grain alcohol.

·
Tgf Og
8,472 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think there is need for more security in schools. Also need to stop blaming guns as the issue. These people are going to get a weapon one way or another. Certain drugs are illegal and people who use get them all the time. More gun control just means more illegal guns. There are nuts out there more so than years ago. I think the media feeds these nuts some too. Repeat crimes because of so much coverage of these stories makes these guys think it is ok in their crazy mind. I have a two yr old and just cant imagine what those families are going through.

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,629 Posts
The tighter gun laws are the easier they are to get. That's what people don't understand.
But the thing is, those anti-gunners see it as banning all guns, except in the hands of police and military. These anti-gunners, don't own guns, they don't care nor understand that there are over 200 MILLION guns in the US. They see it as perfectly acceptable to round up every privately owned weapon, be it a pistol, hunting/sport long gun, or "assault rifle" and grind them into rebar. Because if they did that, school shootings wouldn't happen "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!"

It's OK that muggings and gang violence will go up...because only scum and people who are too stupid to move out of shitty neighborhoods will be effected...not those with big houses, high fences, and private security. They see it as the bad element killing off the bad element and that simply doesn't affect them.

What they don't see a shop owner protecting himself and his son when 3 thugs break in waving around a gun they for some reason didn't turn in! Or the 20 something walking home from campus after a night class, about to be raped...well, she could use pepper spray! Besides, she should be in the kitchen, right? Or if someone from the ghetto decides to go shopping in the suburban houses...just let them take your shit...they'll leave you alone if you don't put up a fight! A TV isn't worth your life!

People who haven't had to face violence can't understand the need for violence, even to protect themselves.

·
PIKUACH NEFESH
6,880 Posts
But the thing is, those anti-gunners see it as banning all guns, except in the hands of police and military. These anti-gunners, don't own guns, they don't care nor understand that there are over 200 MILLION guns in the US. They see it as perfectly acceptable to round up every privately owned weapon, be it a pistol, hunting/sport long gun, or "assault rifle" and grind them into rebar. Because if they did that, school shootings wouldn't happen "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!"

It's OK that muggings and gang violence will go up...because only scum and people who are too stupid to move out of shitty neighborhoods will be effected...not those with big houses, high fences, and private security. They see it as the bad element killing off the bad element.

What they don't see a shop owner protecting himself and his son when 3 thugs break in waving around a gun they for some reason didn't turn in! Or the 20 something walking home from campus after a night class, about to be raped...well, she could use pepper spray! Besides, she should be in the kitchen, right? Or if someone from the ghetto decides to go shopping in the suburban houses...just let them take your shit...they'll leave you alone if you don't put up a fight! A TV isn't worth your life!

People who haven't had to face violence can't understand the need for violence, even to protect themselves.
When we moved to IL , someone told me pepper spray is illegal here. WTF !?

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,629 Posts
When we moved to IL , someone told me pepper spray is illegal here. WTF !?
There were issues with people using pepper spray in clubs and on trains and shit...it could have even been in back in the '80s. I think the bans on those types of products have backed off a little bit. I've not looked into it in years.

·
PIKUACH NEFESH
6,880 Posts
ILLINOIS: Legal with restrictions.

The use of a product "**containing a non-lethal noxious liquid gas or substance designed solely for personal defense carried by a person 18 years of age or older" is authorized by Section 720 ILCS 5/24-1.
Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
124 Posts
We should just ban Murder... Nevermind. That wont work

People have been slaughtering each other, including kids, since the begining of time. It's not new. And, there's no legislation that'll stop it.

Firearms, bombs, knives, fire, poison, rape, rocks, sticks, fists, airplanes, etc.
The weapon doesn't matter. Killing is in our nature

1 - 20 of 1029 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.