Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I do it in the dirt!
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there use header wrap? If so, what are your thoughts, comments, etc.?

...I wrapped mine last week not realizing it was made of fiberglass and got some nice rash on my hands, arms, eyes, face and head. On top of that, When I started the bike up and let it "burn in", I stood right over it enjoying a smoke. So I got some fiberglass smoke in my throat and that felt nice as well.
Yes, it does help keep the bike cool, and less heat on my legs... but when does this shit stop smoking? I stop at a light and people look at me as if I am about to burst into flames! The smoke gets pretty bad especially after a run on the e-way. I was thinking about using a handheld propane torch and heating the wrap that way (not with the flame, just heat) to save some embarassment.... not to mention my poor respiratory system! ::cough cough::

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
I don't usually wrap them. I have mine coated. You get all the benefit of a muffler wrap with the look of polished alluminum. Let me know if your interested I'll PM you a link of my cousins shop which does this.

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
I wrapped mine, only because they were melting my belly pan.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Michael said:

aren't you the one that got all bent out of shape because people didn't explain their short opinions on a topic? :twofinger :D :D :D
Note to everybody on the board: Nothing gets past Michael.:D :laughing

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
yeah well like michael already said he knows he's a pain in the ass. seems like he has to keep going to keep that posistion.;)

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
Nay. the wrap on a header gives water a place to get trapped and accerates corrosion. if you want to do something similar I hear good things about jet hot coating.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Jet hot is what I was talking about. (note to self be more specific). Actually the one I had was a hypercoat. Waiting for winter to do it on the R1.;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
nay

i wouldn't bother with the wrap.

only reasons to use it:
1) your header is burning something it touches (i.e. bodywork or you)
2) you want to keep the exhaust gas temps up to maximize their velocity and increase performance (the gains for your particular situation are extremely minimal). nix that last one if you're trying to break a land speed record or something of that magnitude where the last .001 of hp really matters.

reasons to not use it:
1) it stinks/smokes when you break it in
2) it unravels at the worst times
3) it promotes corrosion of a non-stainless header since it holds moisture
4) it's a pain to wrap a header period.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Spree about covered it. I was also looking into Jet-Hot. something like $150 to coat the headers. Plus shipping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts