Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Wannabe racer
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked the IL Secretary of State website and they claim that you have to get them downtown. Is this correct or is there some place in the burbs I can get the plates?

Also what information is needed from the trailer in order to get them?

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
I heard you can get them from the currency exchange, but I think you need to show a receipt with a Vin number and previous owner, or shop manager if new, signature on it. Doc would know for sure. He went through this a while back. Might want to do a thread search for his thread on it.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
cant say for sure...but i remember the guys bitching about needing the receipt with the VIN# of the trailer on it..and from what i heard you can go to any DMV place.

but i know tony knows

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
yeah DOC...they gave him so much shit ti wasnt funny..and i remember that bitch telling him it HAD TO BE SIGNED if it was a new one from the place they bought it to comfirm the purchase and the VIN#

·
Wannabe racer
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, I don't know if I have that it's new but I didn't see any signed receipts, sounds like it's time to just chicken scratch something resembling a signature to the bottom of the receipt and head to a currency exchange. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
GautamCity said:
:eek:t
how does it work if you build your own trailer?
I'm pretty sure you have to take it somewhere to have it inspected and get a VIN.

·
Wannabe racer
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The one I am titling is one that you put together yourself, but since it is like a kit, they include a VIN number so I don't have to do anything different except pay for a title.

If you completely build it yourself then it wouldn't have a VIN and you would probably have to look into how to get a VIN number, and who knows what that would entale.

If you purchase a kit though and put it together they consider that a home built trailer so it may be the pretty close other than the VIN number issue.

This is all very confusing I have a headache now, my question is why is it IL even requires a plate for a stinkin trailer? Other states don't. Damn revenue generating government.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
lovebothkats said:
why is it IL even requires a plate for a stinkin trailer? Other states don't. Damn revenue generating government.

hmmmmmmmmmm know anybody that lives out of state. Register it to their address and say you borrowed it from them if you get pulled over:D

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Dude its easy just go over to the currency exchange with you tite and a reciept for what you paid for it. You can make up a reciept in Word and print it out, thats what i did.

Do you have a title or is it the certficate of origion? If its the cert,you need to have yor name in the first box on the back, if someone else's name is there than you need to have that person register it first. then you can.

But if you have the actual title your all set to go, just make up a reciept.

·
Wannabe racer
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GsxrTony said:
Dude its easy just go over to the currency exchange with you tite and a reciept for what you paid for it. You can make up a reciept in Word and print it out, thats what i did.

Do you have a title or is it the certficate of origion? If its the cert,you need to have yor name in the first box on the back, if someone else's name is there than you need to have that person register it first. then you can.

But if you have the actual title your all set to go, just make up a reciept.
Actually that is what I did, and it worked great except I may get hit for sales tax, since I bought it on eBay and you don't pay tax over the internet. So we'll see if the SOS catches that. Either way Currency Exchange is definitely the way to go. Went there today and I have my temporary now for it and the plates should be here in about two weeks.

Sorry Doc, just looks like you made a mistake by going to the DMV :laughing

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
No shit! I was so pissed after going to Menards 2x in a matter of 20 min. just to get some stupid shit written on the receipt and then told they shut down the title computer for the night after waiting in line for 15 min. (like the run on sentence) I about hit two cars when I peeled out of the DMV. And I sure as hell did roach 'em loud enough for them to hear 'em on the inside.

Now I need a beer;)

Glad is went so smoothly for ya:mad :rolleyes ;) :D :twofinger

Doc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts