Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
cornfields are boring
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so about a week ago i slammed into a deer and messed up just about every piece of plastic on the front of my bike. I like the look of some streetfighters, not the overdone ones with lots of bling, but more simple mean, naked ones. This would also be the cheapest way to getting my bike back on the road. I'm having trouble finding parts and ideas and it seems everything comes out of the UK.

I need new guages as mine were cracked from the wreck and probably too bulky to look good, need a headlight, probably just something round, not those ones that look like aliens, turnsignals, and mirrors (probably just get some of the bar end style ones). I could figure out the wiring for the idiot lights and such im sure if i tried, my concern was with the speedo because mine is mechanically driven off the front wheel and i know most newer bikes are electronic with a sensor somewhere on the transmission if im not mistaken. Or if I found a mechanical one i wasn't sure if my stock cable would work, or if they were fairly universal... Any help would be great, links or ideas, im just having trouble finding anywhere to get started.

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,685 Posts
Ask Vcook. He did his Gixxer up that way.

Also, there are streetfighter forums, and SVrider.com has lots of links on how to do a minimalist build.

Veypor gauges, Rizoma turn signals, projector head lights from cars.

I'd love to do my SV up that way, but I don't have a garage to work in!

·
Armed law abiding citizen
19,052 Posts
IMHO, if you do not have a place to work on your bike, the money, and/or theability, it will end up a project bike you will lose on. Maybe sell as a track bike, slapping used plastics on it, then buying something else.

If you have the time and money, just start stripping off broke shit until it looks ok and functions the way you want it to. Sell the parts you are not using, even broken and well used stuff. I sold some broke items on ebay just last week. Scratched stator cover, used stock muffler, used tank bra.
Do not forget, flat black paint is your best friend, take lots of pictures during the build, and let me ride it when you are done.

·
cornfields are boring
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2 car garage that it shares with the girls car, It will function and I have no issues riding it, as it is now...but the cops dont like no speedo headlight or mirrors, and thats what im more worried about is being legal and looking decent

·
cornfields are boring
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vcook, That bike looks really nice, kind of what i was hoping mine might look like, i like that style headlight a lot

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
I have a 2 car garage that it shares with the girls car, It will function and I have no issues riding it, as it is now...but the cops dont like no speedo headlight or mirrors, and thats what im more worried about is being legal and looking decent
you just need one mirror. i dont think a speedo is even needed by law, turn signals are not if you use hand signals.

·
cornfields are boring
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that's true i guess...that would keep it a lot simpler

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
just use a bicycle speedo. small, simple, cheap, easy.

go to customfighters.com for ideas. There are some decent guys there. Lots of hacks, but the quality guys make up for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts