Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
[Online]
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started the bike today (Ducati Multistrada) and when I was moving off noticed that the oil pressure light was still on. I shut off the engine, checked oil level, started it again, slowly rode a hundred feet or so, restarted it again, but it didn't help. What confuses me is that the oil is definitely there - I checked it previously and I checked it today, besides I changed the oil like 1500 miles ago. The engine ran fine - no unusual noises / vibrations or smoke or anything like that. There are no leaks.

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that the bike spent over a week on the rear stand. I had a bit of cold, so I wasn't riding for over two weeks. Washed the bike, dried it with the leaf blower and put on the stand for some minor electrical work, but never got to it. And today the oil pressure light wouldn't go off. :(

Any ideas / suggestions? It is still under the warranty, I can simply take it to the MCC, but I'd rather ride - the weather is too good to miss.

·
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin
8,791 Posts
Washed the bike, dried it with the leaf blower and put on the stand for some minor electrical work, but never got to it. And today the oil pressure light wouldn't go off.
I think you answered your question. Let it dry off good and see what happens some WD on the contacts will keep water off.

·
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin
8,791 Posts
It is damp and cold at night can you leave it out in the sun to dry better?

·
[Online]
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you answered your question. Let it dry off good and see what happens some WD on the contacts will keep water off.
I washed it almost two weeks ago, over a week ago for sure... I also dried it pretty well. I would imagine that should be enough time for it to dry.

·
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin
8,791 Posts
Does it keep oil in a pan? or is it a sump system? You can have oil in the pan and it is not flowing out.

·
[Online]
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it keep oil in a pan? or is it a sump system? You can have oil in the pan and it is not flowing out.
Not sure I understand it completely, but I believe it's a sump. At least the google says so :laughing:

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
I had a similar problem with my old 1000DS. It was just a loose oil temp sensor. I think it was on the lower left case cover, but it might have been the right....

Reactions: Fracker

·
[Online]
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a similar problem with my old 1000DS. It was just a loose oil temp sensor. I think it was on the lower left case cover, but it might have been the right....
That's a good one, I'll check it when I get home...

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
That's a good one, I'll check it when I get home...
If all the sensor connections are tight, then it might be a faulty sensor. You might want to give D2 a call and ask him where the pressure sensor connection is. I can't remember which side for the life of me.

·
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin
8,791 Posts
id you use a pressure washer? That can loosen a lot of things up

·
[Online]
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
id you use a pressure washer? That can loosen a lot of things up
Nah, just a garden hose. I use a pretty sharp stream to break the dirt loose, though, it could've loosened a lot of things... True.

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
just checked my parts fiche for the SS, the oil pressure switch is on the right side, just above the oil filler cap.

·
Your friendly Crazy Canuk
12,731 Posts
Stas...just had my entire dash replaced on the ST3...I had all kind of idiot lights come on....one was the oil pressure light....but the whole dash had gone bad...couldn't read the LED portion of the dash....riding way too many times in "build an ark" type rain. I think the dash was never properly waterproofed. Vivid had a similar problem...don't the MS and ST have the same dash:confused The last place on the planet I would bring a Ducati is MCC...they screwed Vivid's ST3 and 900SS so many times...I have a hard time trusting them! And Ducati covered the cost of the dash replacement...even tho the bike was out of warranty;)

·
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔn&#60
11,372 Posts
Stas the night before we left i had the same problem changed the oil and the oiled light stayed on. I had to burp her. Meaning i had to let the bike run the bike run and loosen the oil filter enough to where some squirted out something with the pump having a air bubble from sitting to long and a build up of condensation. After burping her everything was fine. Might wanna try an oil change again.

Reactions: Fracker

·
[Online]
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just checked my parts fiche for the SS, the oil pressure switch is on the right side, just above the oil filler cap.
Yep, looks like it's the one. I forgot to add that in the morning I disconnected and reconnected it - I was guessing it could be the switch. The connector looked like it was OK and the waterproof cover wasn't compromised. However... (see the next post).

·
[Online]
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess there was a gremlin running around in my garage in the morning. I have just started the bike and the oil pressure light immediately went off. I shut it off and started it again just to make sure. Let it warm up and everything seems to be fine.

Also, the keyfob and the wireless panel for the garage door stopped working in the morning, but they are fine now. Fucking magic...

Thanks for the help, everyone! :cheers:

·
[Online]
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stas...just had my entire dash replaced on the ST3...I had all kind of idiot lights come on....one was the oil pressure light....but the whole dash had gone bad...couldn't read the LED portion of the dash....riding way too many times in "build an ark" type rain. I think the dash was never properly waterproofed. Vivid had a similar problem...don't the MS and ST have the same dash:confused The last place on the planet I would bring a Ducati is MCC...they screwed Vivid's ST3 and 900SS so many times...I have a hard time trusting them! And Ducati covered the cost of the dash replacement...even tho the bike was out of warranty;)
Yeah, I've heard about that. I would think it was the dash, but it was fine after the last time I had to ride in the rain and I wrapped it in plastic bags before washing the bike.

As far as the MCC... Actually, I discussed it with VIVID1 in the PMs when this topic was brought up few days ago. I never had a problem with MCC service, and they were excellent with parts and sales, I guess it could've been a streak of bad luck or something. Besides, there are not too many Ducati dealers around here. MCC, PMS and Motoplex in Joliet (old town motorcycle shoppe). I had bad experiences with PMS and Motoplex, so it leaves MCC for me.

There is also Corse Superbikes in WI, they have great reputation, but they are kind of far. Ken at Superbike Italia? Great guy and he did great job on my Monster, but he is not a dealer, so he can't do warranty work.

Who else? CCC? No way I'm letting them work on my bike.

·
[Online]
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stas the night before we left i had the same problem changed the oil and the oiled light stayed on. I had to burp her. Meaning i had to let the bike run the bike run and loosen the oil filter enough to where some squirted out something with the pump having a air bubble from sitting to long and a build up of condensation. After burping her everything was fine. Might wanna try an oil change again.
Actually, that's what I suspect. I know it's kind of stupid, but since MTS has kind of weird configuration with relatively large ground clearance, may be sitting on the stand formed the air bubble which dissolved during the day (I left here on a side stand after unsuccessful start in the morning)? :confused I have no idea.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts