Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I'm mad bro
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so theres a trojan horse on my 3 week old laptop and trendmicro antivirus isn't finding it. The geek at best buy service counter analyzed my laptop and told me its there but now how the hell do I get rid of it without paying best buy 129.95???? thanks

·
King Nothing, , ,
17,944 Posts
Are you in town? Bring it to my house tonite, Ill bring it to work and get rid of it.

Do you know what trojan it is, did he tell you?

·
teets
7,403 Posts
Did the geek tell you what the name of the Trojan was? See if you can borrow a cracked copy of someones norton antivirus. If you know the name of the trojan you can probably google a fix for it. See if you can extract that info from the geek.

·
King Nothing, , ,
17,944 Posts
Flounder said:
Did the geek tell you what the name of the Trojan was? See if you can borrow a cracked copy of someones norton antivirus. If you know the name of the trojan you can probably google a fix for it. See if you can extract that info from the geek.
Hes probably using Norton, thats why he has the trojan.:laughing

·
I'm mad bro
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, not in town but thanks for the offer. All I know is the cpu is always at 100% usage because of the one process SymWSC.exe is always at or near 98%, he said that is the problem but didn't say thats the trojan horse. Does that help? remember, I'm computer retarded

·
King Nothing, , ,
17,944 Posts
kc6 said:
no, not in town but thanks for the offer. All I know is the cpu is always at 100% usage because of the one process SymWSC.exe is always at or near 98%, he said that is the problem but didn't say thats the trojan horse. Does that help? remember, I'm computer retarded
No thats the norton security center trying to deal with your problem. I dont know the name of the trojan, but you got the one that attacks a known vulnerability in the Norton suite.:bangin

·
Curb your dogma.
2,410 Posts
Have you made sure that your definition/pattern files and engine are up to date on Trend Micro install?? And unless you have seen the evidence of the trojan, I would be skeptical of Geek Squad/Best Buy.

Latest def from TM is: 3.527.00
Latest engine is: 8.00

·
Banned
6,882 Posts
Go to http://download.com

Do a seatch for AVG.

Download the free version and do a scan.

If it finds a virus, it will clean it.

If it doesn't find a virus, then your Geek Squad friend is a moron (my money's on this option).

Finally...don't ever ever ever ever take your pc to the geek squad/best buy...and don't use Mcafee or Norton either.

·
Curb your dogma.
2,410 Posts
BIGGY said:
Go to http://download.com

Do a seatch for AVG.

Download the free version and do a scan.

If it finds a virus, it will clean it.

If it doesn't find a virus, then your Geek Squad friend is a moron (my money's on this option).

Finally...don't ever ever ever ever take your pc to the geek squad/best buy...and don't use Mcafee or Norton either.
+10 on all counts.

·
I'm mad bro
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Phily-D said:
Have you made sure that your definition/pattern files and engine are up to date on Trend Micro install?? And unless you have seen the evidence of the trojan, I would be skeptical of Geek Squad/Best Buy.

Latest def from TM is: 3.527.00
Latest engine is: 8.00
It updated this morning automatically and I tried to do it again 20 minutes ago. My current def is 3.525.00 and engine is 8.0.1001, says its the most current?

·
teets
7,403 Posts
You should also consider getting Zone alarm, spybot search and destroy, adaware. I use updated versions of all 3 of those. You can get them all on www.download.com

You may need a crack for zonealarm though.

·
Banned
6,882 Posts
Flounder said:
Mcafee and Norton work well for me, they've saved my ass quite a few times.
Understandable...and they're not the leaders for no reason. However, without getting into it, they are system hogging pieces of shit software which I would never install. Let's just put it this way. If I'm building a pc for myself or buying a pc, then I either custom build my own or I buy a leader like IBM. If it's someone else who doesn't know or doesn't care then I tell them to buy Dell.

This is about the same way. By the way, if AVG does work for you, I suggest supporting them with either a tiny donation or buying the pro edition...it will be years cheaper than Norton or Mcafee and you must understand that AVG may have just saved your ass big time.

·
Banned
6,882 Posts
kc6 said:
It updated this morning automatically and I tried to do it again 20 minutes ago. My current def is 3.525.00 and engine is 8.0.1001, says its the most current?
Then it's looking like your best buy buddy might have made a mistake. Trend Micro is good software that I'd pick over Norton and Mcafee any day too. Try my post about the AVG just in case. Good chance it could be spyware too.

·
King Nothing, , ,
17,944 Posts
BIGGY said:
I gotta chime in, I agree 100% on not using the McAfee, but only the retail crap they put out. The enterprise stuff is totally different, uses different scanning engines, sits in the registry hive different etc.....

Grisoft(AVG),Kapersky Lab, and eset(Nod32), all have better results than the Norton and McAfee.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts