Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about upgrading my dial-up service at home. I don't want to spend too much. I spend 10$/month right now for dial up. I don't know much about DSL or Cable or whatever....infact I know nothing.:D

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to get and what to look for....again......I really know nothing about this.:confused

·
Registered
442 Posts
We have comcast/att and our bill is 55.00 per month and that includes basic service for cable. At the time it was cheaper for us to have basic cable and the cable internet than just the internet itself.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GsxrTony's Wife said:
We have comcast/att and our bill is 55.00 per month and that includes basic service for cable. At the time it was cheaper for us to have basic cable and the cable internet than just the internet itself.

Is it digital cable or analog???

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've had cable for years and would never go back. As for pricing, check smaller, local cable companies like Wide Open West (www.wideopenwest.com). Some companies will offer lower rates on Comcast's own cable lines. If you can't get cable, DSL is an option, although, I never really liked it much. Generally it costs more when you compare the speed/bandwidth for the price and it often times has more connection and set up problems. I'd always recommend cable. There's also satelite internet, but I wouldn't recommend that either. Its more than either DSL or cable and its the least reliable.

·
VTwin FTW!
5,564 Posts
I also have a Comcast digital cable modem and it is much better and faster than DSL. I have DSL at the office, and it's noticeably slower. DSL is still much faster than dial-up though

I pay about $55 a month for it, but worth it. It doesn't tie up a phone line either.

Mike

·
Show me yo' twisties!!!
654 Posts
GsxrTony's Wife said:
Is this some sort of package deal that you can get from Comcast?

·
Registered
532 Posts
The speed of your dsl depends on how close you are to the switching station. the farther you are the slower you speed is. If you're within a mile of the switching station Id recommend DSL because you gave gaureented bandwidth at 1.54mbs With cable you have to fight with the rest of your neiborhood for the 1.54mbs bandwidth, the more users the slow the connection, but never as slow as dial-up.

I have comcast because I cant even get dsl here. I think they improved their system because its faster than att was. but the fastest download ive had is only 180kbs, which is around 10% of the max. I download lots of movies so fast is good.:D

SBC yahoo has a promotion going on now 29.95 for first year. http://www05.sbc.com/DSL_new/conten...I=20030708093201P&E=L&CI=&UI=&EL=&TI=&RI=&RD=

you can also check covad and earthlink which sublease sbc dsl lines.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boxuin said:
The speed of your dsl depends on how close you are to the switching station. the farther you are the slower you speed is. If you're within a mile of the switching station Id recommend DSL because you gave gaureented bandwidth at 1.54mbs With cable you have to fight with the rest of your neiborhood for the 1.54mbs bandwidth, the more users the slow the connection, but never as slow as dial-up.

I have comcast because I cant even get dsl here. I think they improved their system because its faster than att was. but the fastest download ive had is only 180kbs, which is around 10% of the max. I download lots of movies so fast is good.

SBC yahoo has a promotion going on now 29.95 for first year. http://www05.sbc.com/DSL_new/conten...I=20030708093201P&E=L&CI=&UI=&EL=&TI=&RI=&RD=

I think I may run into the availability issue here in Romeoville as well with the DSL. I checked out my cable providers website and they provide cable internet for 29.99, but you still have to rent the modem for 9.99 a month. Maybe they'll give me a deal cause I have digital cable with them. I'll have to call.

you can also check covad and earthlink which sublease sbc dsl lines.:D

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
R6bbie said:
What the heck is dial-up? Do you actually use a phone line phone line for that?

:laughing :laughing :laughing smart-allic. I don't use the internet alot at home since I'm on at work alot. I didn't feel the need for anything more than dial-up. Now I'm using it at home a bit more, especially to keep an eye on the site, I would like something a bit faster.;)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I am pretty sure Comcast is running a deal for $19.95 for High-Speed access for 3-6 months but after that it's around $45-$55 that is how that lock you in. I have been on it for about 5 years and love it, I do a lot of work from home and the time that is saves me is worth it. What you can do with cable in 4 hours would take you about 5 days with dial-up........LMAO....buts its true.

·
CLSB SuperHero
1,808 Posts
Brian: I dont think DSL is an option for you. You have to be 18,000 feet from the CO in order to get it. The CO is located around Rt. 59 and 30. Comcrap is about your only other option unless you go satellite(which is kinda pricey) or wireless...not sure where the closest tower is to you. If you have cable TV, then your internet cable will be cheaper. There is a sign on Weber rd by your house that advertises a local company for internet. Cant remember the name right now tho.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TerminatorR1 said:
There is a sign on Weber rd by your house that advertises a local company for internet. Cant remember the name right now tho.
Western Cable...that's who I have for tv.;)

·
CLSB SuperHero
1,808 Posts
Crazy said:
Western Cable...that's who I have for tv.;)
Yes...that's it. Call them up and see what they offer for internet.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Crazy said:
Is it digital cable or analog???
Analog, we only use it on the small tv on our kitchen counter and for back up on the big tv during storms when the satellite goes out.

·
Registered
442 Posts
ERIC B said:
Is this some sort of package deal that you can get from Comcast?
Yes it was a package. now that was two years ago when we moved in, but we also had the same package in downers grove too.

·
Head Stepper
4,244 Posts
Cable is nice, but the shared bandwidth sux. I had cable for a while, but around 5 or 6 in the evening, when everyone is comming home from work and getting online, you can tell a lag. I have had DSL for about 3 years, and would never go back to cable. If DSL is in your area, you should look into that. You can find it on the cheap end around 30 bucks. Check out DSL reports to find some really good reviews, as well as speed tests.

·
"PC" ,my balls
1,620 Posts
I have the cable from Western Cable. It is fast when it works at all. It has been down every day this week for at least an hour.:mad I switched to satellite because their service sucked.

·
Head Stepper
4,244 Posts
I have never used satellite, is that a shared bandwidth as well?? Don't you still have to use dial up for uploads? Or is it all satellite both ways?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts