Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Go Speed! Go!
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone catch the United For Peace and Justice rally this weekend? Went right by my house, still have no voice after heckling them from my window. I must say there is no way there were really 10,000 people, they only took up two blocks. There was, however, a SERIOUS police presence like I've never seen. The first thing I knew a protest was coming was when I saw 10 officers on each corner of my intersection. It was unbelieveable. That was more than an hour before the protest too.

I think what's funny / sad about these people though is that they let anyone march with them. There was an Iraqi Vetrans Agaist the War group (who automatically deservices some recognition) right behind a group with the largest sign of the rally that read "9/11 = inside job". That just discredits the entire group right there.

The best part though was the four street cleaners that followed the protest. Glad they were able to wash that hippy stench off so quick.

·
Grid Marshall. ,
29,341 Posts
I agree with the title...tell them to join the other dirtfaces living in the trees at USC where they want to expand the football stadium facilities...gotta love scumbags disallowing expansion on someone else's property:)

Just not enough for people to protest these days, odd isn't it, how lack of problems are problematic for some:wonder

·
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin
8,791 Posts
Conspiracy theorist aside.

You can be anti-war but pro-soldier

·
Go Speed! Go!
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree that they can be anti-war but pro-soldier, but they shouldn't let these nut jobs discredit them like that. Even a guy I know who is uber liberal dismissed this rally after seeing that sign. The thing I can't believe is that it's basically free for them to do this yet it costs us probably $100K+ to allow them to do it.

·
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin
8,791 Posts
I agree that they can be anti-war but pro-soldier, but they shouldn't let these nut jobs discredit them like that. Even a guy I know who is uber liberal dismissed this rally after seeing that sign. The thing I can't believe is that it's basically free for them to do this yet it costs us probably $100K+ to allow them to do it.
That is the way they designed it.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or
the right of the people peaceably to assemble,
and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

·
TOOS Racing
2,260 Posts
i think everyone is anti-war, but sometimes you have to stop bad people at any cost.

ask those protesters if they would call the cops if their house(most likely up in a tree) were being robbed. is it worth endangering a police officers life to protect your stuff? just let the robber take what he wants and leave? maybe he rapes your daughter also? let bad people do what they want b/c who are we to ask someone to risk their life to protect us? it is a shitty world sometimes, but you can't let evil rule. Winston Churchill called WWII "the unneccesary war" b/c hitler was a known evil and action was not taken sooner. how many americans died to take care of that one?

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
i think everyone is anti-war, but sometimes you have to stop bad people at any cost.

ask those protesters if they would call the cops if their house(most likely up in a tree) were being robbed. is it worth endangering a police officers life to protect your stuff? just let the robber take what he wants and leave? maybe he rapes your daughter also? let bad people do what they want b/c who are we to ask someone to risk their life to protect us? it is a shitty world sometimes, but you can't let evil rule. Winston Churchill called WWII "the unneccesary war" b/c hitler was a known evil and action was not taken sooner. how many americans died to take care of that one?
This is a dangerous comparison to make because Hitler was one who invaded other countries under the 'guise' of future protection of his... A defensive invasion, so to speak.... People really should re-think making this comparison in the context of this campaign we are in now.

·
Grid Marshall. ,
29,341 Posts
This is a dangerous comparison to make because Hitler was one who invaded other countries under the 'guise' of future protection of his... A defensive invasion, so to speak.... People really should re-think making this comparison in the context of this campaign we are in now.
I would have to disagree with you here sir. There was absolutely no "guise"...everyone involved knew exactly what Hitler was doing and were 'hopeful' that appeasement would quench his thirst and avoid conflict. Delaying action in the hopes of avoiding conflict by letting ill-intentioned leaders get away with "small" infractions is, was and always will be unwise and resultantly problmematic:)

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
I would have to disagree with you here sir. There was absolutely no "guise"...everyone involved knew exactly what Hitler was doing and were 'hopeful' that appeasement would quench his thirst and avoid conflict. Delaying action in the hopes of avoiding conflict by letting ill-intentioned leaders get away with "small" infractions is, was and always will be unwise and resultantly problmematic:)
You mean infractions like invading another country?

·
Grid Marshall. ,
29,341 Posts
You mean infractions like invading another country?
I'm not sure where you're trying to go with that comment, but as far as 1939 Germany goes, I'd say that "giving" Hitler a peace of Czechoslovakia was an invasion...if you're referring to the U.S. 'invading' Iraq, well, I'm not even debating that assessment:)

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
I'm not sure where you're trying to go with that comment, but as far as 1939 Germany goes, I'd say that "giving" Hitler a peace of Czechoslovakia was an invasion...if you're referring to the U.S. 'invading' Iraq, well, I'm not even debating that assessment:)
Fact is we went there. GW1 was a different story. They invaded a neighbor, the resolution was go push them out of neighbor's territory back to their own and we did that. This time around, they did not invade anyone. We did.

Shitty facts, but they are facts.

·
Grid Marshall. ,
29,341 Posts
Fact is we went there. GW1 was a different story. They invaded a neighbor, the resolution was go push them out of neighbor's territory back to their own and we did that. This time around, they did not invade anyone. We did.

Shitty facts, but they are facts.
I'm not intersted in re-hashing this debate...I was referring only to your contention that the original comparison was somehow not valid related to 1939 Germany. There are many lessons to be learned from history, the fact that so many refuse to pay attention is precisely why it so often has a tendency to repeat itself:)

·
TOOS Racing
2,260 Posts
you don't think mass extermination of the jews was evil?

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
I'm not intersted in re-hashing this debate...I was referring only to your contention that the original comparison was somehow not valid related to 1939 Germany. There are many lessons to be learned from history, the fact that so many refuse to pay attention is precisely why it so often has a tendency to repeat itself:)
:cheers: Unfortunately, most world leaders think they can do it better, they have all the answers and that "it's different this time" causing them to be so arrogantly blind to the fact that they are repeating them over and over.

·
Clever Girl
10,204 Posts
This is a stupid straw man argument pretending I said something that I obviously did not.
Can you explain what a "straw man argument" is? I see you use it quite a bit on hear and have no idea what it is.

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
Can you explain what a "straw man argument" is? I see you use it quite a bit on hear and have no idea what it is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I originally pointed out that using Hitler as a Comparison to Iraq was a dumb idea because part of what Hitler did was invade other countries as a 'defensive move' which is exactly what the US claimed this time around against Iraq.

Someone then decided that from that, somehow I don't feel that extermination of jews is evil.

Call it strawman, call it dimwitted or stupid.. I don't care what you call it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I originally pointed out that using Hitler as a Comparison to Iraq was a dumb idea because part of what Hitler did was invade other countries as a 'defensive move' which is exactly what the US claimed this time around against Iraq.

Someone then decided that from that, somehow I don't feel that extermination of jews is evil.

Call it strawman, call it dimwitted or stupid.. I don't care what you call it.
i still dont understand the difference between the two?

they both where preemtive attacks and both wrong.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts